FTPI Roll Call 2012

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahoay!

If a mate were to make his first venture to Fort Taylor, what might ye share with him on how it is, what goes on (aside from what the website says), best way and where to stay, and overall best way to make a good trip of it?

Would be traveling from a few states away, more than a few demands pulling the other way as always, so more than a small sacrifice to make it - but most things worthwhile are I've learned.

Not a newbie in general, just to FTPI - reenactor exp., pirate exp., black powder exp., etc., with a strong bent on the historical, not the 'glitterati', but strive to be pleasant to all. LIfe's too short to be otherwise.

Many Thanks Friends, and much obliged-

yr mst hum and obt svt,

The event has many things that are not to be missed, and I'll start with the battles, since you mention reenactor and black powder experience. Lawrence and others bring quite a few cannons to the event, so we're always glad of a experienced participants to man the lines. Also, there will be live musical groups and demonstrations every day of the event. You can also take sail on a tall ship or two while you're there and you must attend the auction when Chrispy really shines.

Random things that may or may not happen to you at Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion...

You might get your shoes stolen if you die in battle and/or if you get too drunk. Note: If you were really drunk, check the flagpole for said shoes.

You get to meet Greg.

You might end up buying a plate from the auction that seconds as a platter, frisbee, shield, etc. You had to be there.

You'll probably end up joining Mission on a fried Conch run.

You'll walk away with cool stuff you traded or bought, or bought and then traded for stuff other people bought or traded.

You'll get to see the Green Flash.

If you miss the Green Flash you'll have a another chance to see the Green Flash.

If you never see the Green Flash, you'll have to come back and see it, but the sunsets are great whether you see the flash or not.

You get to have Key Lime Pie in the most appropriate place to have such pie.

Live music at night in a period fort is not to be missed.

You'll get to see some very learned pirates speak about their passions, and if you're really lucky, their understanding of pyracy.

Sailing on any of the tall ships at Key West is awesome. I strongly recommend a sunset sail past the fort.

Hogfish is damn tasty.

Everyone wants your picture and you get to throw candy at people in a parade.

You may get a picture under Mission's hat. It's a right of passage and (by mere contact) a way of immunizing yourself to every scalp transmitted disease known to man.

Lawrence might snub you in a way so endearing that you won't mind at all.

Shooting!

You get to see chickens roaming the street in the world's largest chicken wildlife preserve. Also, the chicken avocado sandwich at the Green Parrot is chicken and not parrot.

The pirate museum is a pirate museum.

You get to dress as a pirate in a fort just off the ocean for days and days.

You get to meet cool people.

We get to carry knives.

Did I mention the parade? A pirate christmas parade. It's a weird blend, but so are some of the mixed drinks in Key West.

Oh...you can drink during the parade while throwing candy.

Pirate trials. As pirates we shouldn't like trials, but we do.

Blacksmithing!

Whatever you're doing on any given day at FTPI, you're doing it in Key West in December. It beats the Rockies in December.

The ocean is right there!

You'll make friends you get to miss all year.

You might get drunk enough that I'll have to tell you about all of your adventures the next morning. Some of them will be true.

Swordfighting!

If you don't get killed in battle, you can steal shoes off of someone else.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

As usual our esteemed Quartermaster has captured the essence of the thing quite handily. Several days of Pyrate foolishness with foolish Pyrates in a town where such foolishness is referred to as "Normal".

Oh, and by the by Mr. Brand, add my name to the list. The Oar House will be there, as I have been granted leave by She Who Must Be Obeyed (AKA SWiMBO). Preparations are already under way. I may add a powder monkey at a later date, it depends on how he does in school.

Edit: You have no idea how happy I was to post this little note.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

FTPI Surgeon's Journal for 2011 (Way more info than you probably need - certainly not as succinct as William's list.)

What? The triumphant return of the Mercury's non-captain Captain? Could it be...? (Huzzah!)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Although I recently swore to take a 6 to 8 month break from pirate events.... recent changes in my constantly fluctuating life put short odds of my being able to attend this year. I'll know better by early October, but for now please list me as very tentative. (With the Mercury Crew)

Michael_banner.jpg

Cool! I didn't think you could make it due to vacation issues - hopefully you can make it. (Then we can enjoy daily brunch at the Rum Barrel. This we we should try and make sure it doesn't take so long to decide what to have like it did last year; that Stynky can never make up his mind when we go to the Rum Barrel.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Edit: You have no idea how happy I was to post this little note.

I have an idea how happy I am you're attending. This is excellent news.

Although I recently swore to take a 6 to 8 month break from pirate events.... recent changes in my constantly fluctuating life put short odds of my being able to attend this year. I'll know better by early October, but for now please list me as very tentative. (With the Mercury Crew)

added.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see so many returning from so many places and crews. Since we just entered September, we're 3 months out and this is a good time to remind everyone to start planning their kit and finalize projects while you have time to complete them. It's also a good idea to get in shape and get used to being on your feet for long periods of time. For suggestions and ideas on preparation, see the offerings here...

Mister Brand,

Do add the following to the roll call...from the Archangel

Sterling

Dorian Lasseter

Jack Roberts

Dutch

Constable Heartless

Israel Cross

Matty Black Horse

Adam Cyphers

Josephine Legard

Fionn Murtaugh

Alice Mason

Grace

Mae Harrington

Kiera Mason

Krystian Williams

Deborah Rice

D. M. Atlas

Ryan Karn

Crewe officers for this event are Sterling, Lasseter, Roberts

Thank ye.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna have to give this year a pass - but for a very good reason. The date is simply too close to when we'll be adding a new lil' pyratess to the ranks!

I know I've been rather absent around these parts for a while, but with good reason. I spent the better part of 2011 planning a great shin-dig of a wedding, and now, I've spent the better part of 2012 rather pregnant. I'm due Nov 11, and just don't think we'll be up for much more adventuring for the remainder of the year after that!

Edited by RedJessi

Congratulations on both counts! Wishing ye all the very best....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

William, one more to add to the Archangel muster... Jennifer Geiger. Thank ye.

Crewe of the Archangel

• 3 weeks later...

Aye - finally a break in real live to get here to look about. Registered of course be Commodore Cutter & Jaded Jetty with a tent & fly - Also, registered are - Joseph Blais, Stephanie, Jake, Amy, & Dustin me be thinking that is it.

And yes, Commordoe Swab, Sasanee, Lady Chaos & Nita Treasure will also be all under Cutter's Crew this year I believe. "PIRATES" as you can see some still need Pirate names above or I just don't know em fer it just cept right out of me brain.........

Can't wait to see all me Mates - Working on a few new things hoping to be all finished by then -- Oh....... the Pressure --- I Luvs it............

In case real life Sucks me up fer awhile again - till me be putting me eyes upon ye may ye be Safe and Full Winds in ye Sails...........

OH AND LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT ALL THE HUGS YE GET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to the one the inquired what ye might could expect.

Yep, it is the same one you used at Ft. DeChartres. Not sure what type vehicle am going to rent, but if it is needed i'm sure I can find a way to lash the poles down. I'll be checking on rentals this week so I'll have a better idea . lf I can get a mini-van it won't be a problem though.

Bo