Tentage

My wife and I have been planning this year to get a tent. Naturally it should be period correct and large enough for us to sleep in should the need arise. The primary purpose will be for setting up at events to showcase the guns I have built and have for sale. I would like something large enough to use as a vendors tent yet still be small enough to not be a headache to transport/setup. Ive been thinking about a double belled wedge with an awning. I can set tables out front in the awning yet keep our other stuff and valuables in the tent. My other thought is a wall tent roughly 10x12

Any opinions?

id.jpg

The double bell wedge is a pretty tent, but it does come with some challenges of you want to put a rope bed in it. John Gallia (CaptJ) has one. I think the delux storage tent by Red Hawk Trading Company is nice. It's a very deep storage tent with a full awning. Think about Hugh's giant tent setup minus the second side.

http://www.redhawk-t...torage-tent.htm

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The double bell wedge is a pretty tent, but it does come with some challenges of you want to put a rope bed in it. John Gallia (CaptJ) has one. I think the delux storage tent by Red Hawk Trading Company is nice. It's a very deep storage tent with a full awning. Think about Hugh's giant tent setup minus the second side.

http://www.redhawk-t...torage-tent.htm

HA HA HA....What a suprise that was>>>>>>>>>>>

Yo Ho.......

here are a few thoughts... we have a very large wall tent, one good size wedge, and a diamond shelter... doors in the back are almost a necessity... allows for cool air circulation ... sod flaps... helps keep the wind out, and helps prevent gnats and the like from an easy entrance...

a wedge is ALOT easier to set up than a wall tent, requires far less poles, fewer stakes and if necessary, one person can set it up, and it's alot lighter....BUUUUTTTTT you don't get as much room as a wall tent.... our 9x7 wedge can sleep 4 in a squeeze and have room for the heater... we store stuff under the cots and cover the cots with wool blankets...our wall tent is something like a gazillion feet long and half as wide...looks like a cavern inside, yet takes alot of poles and time to set up...

for a fly, figure what you need and get an even larger one !!! not kidding here... the extra shade, rain cover etc., is well worth the extra little cost... for a neat set up, wicked william and doug put two wedges facing each other and use the fly as kind of a leanto between them to provide shelter and a back drop on the back side...

I recently got a wall tent from Tentsmiths and had them put a divider wall in it to separate the back from the front. It's held in with toggles so you can take it down if you don't want the privacy. I think Panther's will do the something similar.

One of the things I like about Panther's is that they make their ground cloth and floor all one unit. I need to remember to order one of those for my tent so I don't have to carry two separate items.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

I recently got a wall tent from Tentsmiths and had them put a divider wall in it to separate the back from the front. It's held in with toggles so you can take it down if you don't want the privacy. I think Panther's will do the something similar.

Aye. Hugh had that setup I believe, so that the middle of the tent was a sort of parlor with private walled rooms at each end. It also hides anything modern very well.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Aye. Hugh had that setup I believe, so that the middle of the tent was a sort of parlor with private walled rooms at each end. It also hides anything modern very well.

Aye, never seen the inside of Hugh's tent, but that is the reason I had the wall put in mine. Also there are places where I can't setup the awning for my tent do to space restrictions so the interior wall allows me to leave the front of the tent open and still have a place to get out of the sun and not have to find some way to hide the modern cot and things

Edited by MajorChaos

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

Crew Of The Vigilant

After bouncing back and forth as well as gtting more input from the boss I am leaning towards a 12X14 wall tent (5 foot walls), large enough to have room in the back for privacy and able to display my pieces and do work in front. Also there is the benefit of being able to close the flaps and leave everything setup inside in case of rain. My thoughts now are along the lines is this too big for most events. Anything we would go to as a vendor in a vendor space would in all probability be on asphalt and limited to 10X10 on the outside, impratical for any tent.

id.jpg

Anything we would go to as a vendor in a vendor space would in all probability be on asphalt and limited to 10X10 on the outside, impratical for any tent.

The problem I see is that if you're going to be on asphalt most of the time, you're not going to want one of the standard wall tents you see at events because they have to be staked down. You're going to want something that's more free standing unless you can arrange to get setup in a grassy area where they will let you use stakes.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

Crew Of The Vigilant

http://www.midwesttent.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=45&fb_source=message

Midwest wall tent will let yea use poles inside or out and a car port set up for indoors or on pavement to make it free staring with out the need for lines or stakes. Add a dinning fly yea get a lot of room. limited space loose the fly very versatile.

The Midwest wall tent looks like it would fit your needs. Ours is a 10X12 with 40" walls. There is enough room for a full size bed in the rear half with a divider curtain in the middle. We use a fly with the same dimensions, but you could use any size. A small fly would provide cover for your customers while your display/work area could be inside the front half of your tent. Just remember how hot the interior of a tent can get. We use 1X4's for ridge poles, and when we aren't doing our wrecker set up with the masts, we use bamboo for uprights.

D.B. Couper