GAoP Flintlock Pistol Kits

Cap'n Black Jack

Ok this may not belong here, but it may. I have been looking everywhere for affordable pistol kits for the GAoP period. All I can find is very expensive kits without barrels or out of period kits. There was a time you could get these at Woolworth. Anyway. Does anyone have a good source? Just a little info, I'll only use these for blanks, at reenactments and events, they don’t have to be topnotch stuff, just something that looks good and blowup in my face. Thanks all

Black Jack

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

A word of caution before ye spends yer hard earned money........ "Affordable" is relative, and you get what you pay for !!! Cheap guns are not likely to blow up in your face, unless you do something incredibly stupid, but they DO have reliability issues, and the styling is less than the best. Those suggested by Brit. Privateer are good choices.

>>>> Cascabel

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Loyalist Arms 1690 doglock pistol in .64 calibre that I would like to possibly rework. It is however my first experience with a flintlock piece. I've had the lock out of the stock, and I've had the barrel out, and the ramrod holder out, and the butt cap off. I have not yet tried to remove the trigger and trigger guard yet though. Not difficult to take apart and put back together at all so far. However, I have not attempted to take ANY parts off of the lock yet since there are 3 different springs and I don't know what kind of tension they put on the other parts while trying to put it back together. I do not have a spring vise yet for the main spring.

Loyalist Arms told me the stock is made of rosewood. A friend told me that there probably were stocks made of rosewood back then. Any know? I would have preferred English walnut, but it was made in India, and I think rosewood is a more common wood there. Is a stock in English walnut just like this rosewood stock available somewhere? I don't know how to inlet a stock for the lock, so that could be very tough.

But anyway, what kind of reworking of parts do you suggest be done to this piece to make it look and function much better?

-Tar Bucket Bill

Tar Bucket Bill, I would...

A ) get sone face to face training

B ) read a few books ("Gunsmith of Greenville County" is good)

C ) or get someone else to do until you have acheived A ) or B ) ( or preferably both)

I've read at leastfour three or four good books and had a little bit of coaching and I only perform the most basic of tasks when i have to.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have a Loyalist Arms 1690 doglock pistol in .64 calibre that I would like to possibly rework. It is however my first experience with a flintlock piece. I've had the lock out of the stock, and I've had the barrel out, and the ramrod holder out, and the butt cap off. I have not yet tried to remove the trigger and trigger guard yet though. Not difficult to take apart and put back together at all so far. However, I have not attempted to take ANY parts off of the lock yet since there are 3 different springs and I don't know what kind of tension they put on the other parts while trying to put it back together. I do not have a spring vise yet for the main spring.

Loyalist Arms told me the stock is made of rosewood. A friend told me that there probably were stocks made of rosewood back then. Any know? I would have preferred English walnut, but it was made in India, and I think rosewood is a more common wood there. Is a stock in English walnut just like this rosewood stock available somewhere? I don't know how to inlet a stock for the lock, so that could be very tough.

But anyway, what kind of reworking of parts do you suggest be done to this piece to make it look and function much better?

-Tar Bucket Bill

By God Bill is that you??!

And though I usually don't pirate a man's thread, it's been waaay to damn long!

To be honest I thought you were fish food or lying in an alley somewhere with the rats knawing on man parts... I'm glad to see I was wrong!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread or not.....

I'm new to Pyracy Pub and I'd like to gauge interest in a reproduction of the Whydah pistol. I'm an accomplished gunsmith specializing in the reproduction of antique pistols (English, French and Dutch; 17th and 18th centuries).

I've started to create waxes based on photos of the Whydah pistol and other similar original pistols I own.

Do you folks feel there would be interest among the pirate population for such a pistol?

I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread or not.....

I'm new to Pyracy Pub and I'd like to gauge interest in a reproduction of the Whydah pistol. I'm an accomplished gunsmith specializing in the reproduction of antique pistols (English, French and Dutch; 17th and 18th centuries).

I've started to create waxes based on photos of the Whydah pistol and other similar original pistols I own.

Do you folks feel there would be interest among the pirate population for such a pistol?

Much depends on the price and other factors Can you tell us more. Lead time ? Quality of castings ? Availability of semi-inletted stocks ? Pre tempered springs ? Screws included with kits ? (some sizes are had to get). More info would be very helpful. I am able to deal with all these things, but many of us are not. Welcome aboard, and please tell us more....

I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread. . .

new to Pyracy Pub . . . like to gauge interest in a reproduction of the Whydah pistol. . .

. . .

As for discussion threads, you're in the right place.

I think there's always interest in replica pistols that are based on actual pieces, even when our pocketbooks can't match the cost.

Do you have pictures by chance that you can share waxes, reference pieces, the pistols you own?

And of course a best guestimate of costs is always good know.

In any case, Welcome Aboard!