In Francis Grose's Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue (1785), Flip is defined as "small beer, brandy and sugar". Add lemon juice and you've got "Sir Cloudsley", a favourite drink of sailors.

I've drunk both on regular occasions - Sir Cloudsley (not best on the rocks) is delicious, though I substitute beer for small beer. No proportions are suggested by Grose, so I usually use roughly 1 gallon beer (good British brown beer that is, not the passed-water you colonials call beer), 1 bottle brandy, 1lb brown sugar, and about a pint of lemon juice.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

And then you sit and drink all that and post here on the pub. (Well, you should...)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Chole Black will tell you of the hilarity that ensued on Jersey when we made several punch-bowls full of Sir Cloudsley and decreed that nobody was allowed to go to bed until we'd finished all the booze...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Nice, I shall have to scale the recipe back and try some. I've been working on period punches lately.

As a side note I suggest Mr. Foxe you try to find a big American IPA. Not everything or everybody here drinks that passed water crap.... :P

Aye to that laddie. For me a lite beer be a Bass Ale (or colonial equal). ^_^

Corona n' Coors be used for musket practice.

Bah, any wiz water that needs a lime wedge stuffed in it isn't fit for human consumption.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

And yet, according to this website (which I believe is using data for 2010 based on what I saw on some other sites), here are the 10 most popular US beers:

1. Bud Light

2. Budweiser

3. Miller Lite

4. Coors Light

5. Corona Extra

6. Natural Light

7. Heineken

8. Michelob Ultra Light

9. Busch Light

10. Miller High Life

And here are the top 3 beers in Canada (which I find sort of fascinating given what various Canadians have told me):

1. Budweiser

2. Coors Light

3. Molson Canadian

I can remember the guys at one of the Haunted Houses I was running switching to lite beer because it meant they could drink more of them. (Which thus allowed them to brag about how many they drank, I suppose.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Now what I heard of flip was a blend of beer, RUM, and sugar. Into this mix was thrust a red hot poker to froth the beverage. How would one heat said beverage without a red hot poker I wonder?

And yet, according to this website (which I believe is using data for 2010 based on what I saw on some other sites), here are the 10 most popular US beers:

1. Bud Light

2. Budweiser

3. Miller Lite

4. Coors Light

5. Corona Extra

6. Natural Light

7. Heineken

8. Michelob Ultra Light

9. Busch Light

10. Miller High Life

And here are the top 3 beers in Canada (which I find sort of fascinating given what various Canadians have told me):

1. Budweiser

2. Coors Light

3. Molson Canadian

See there's just no accounting for poor taste and slick advertising. :rolleyes::D

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I've made flip before at Rendezvous,

First you need a good hot campfire, and a flip iron (a flip iron looks like one of those old fashioned soldering irons only bigger. Lacking a flip iron a large heavy chunk of metal (about 1” x 1” and about two feet long) will do (re-bar isn't quite large enough to work tho...)

place the flip iron in the fire until the end is bright red hot....

In a largish wooden bucket, put in a cube of butter, a hand full of brown sugar, and three beers (it doesn’t matter what kind of beer you use, your going to burn off any alcohol anyway...)

Stir the mixture with the red hot flip iron, melting the butter and mixing everything up...The beer will fizz up (and sometimes over the edge of the bucket)

because the red-hot flip iron burns off alla the alcohol, you have to replace it with a good hefty dose of rum....

Basically it's a different version of a hot buttered rum. But it's great when camping and the weather is cold.

Oh yeah.... forgot to mention; It doesn’t have a beerie taste...that kinda burns off when you heat it, instead it has a nice full bodied taste (just without the spices that are sometime put into a hot buttered rum)

I was looking for a flip iron, and found this page...

http://americanpublichousereview.com/cocktails/index.flip.html

the directions are different that what I've had, and they mix everything then heat it....

I sometimes grind metal and you have to dip in a little dish of water which is usually located on the grinder to cool it down (it does get red hot sometimes.) I have to tell you, based on what that water looks like... you're adding more than fizz to that mixture. The water gets pretty scummy after a bit. (Just a thought.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 8 months later...