''Calendar of the Mercury

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Alafia River Rendezvous is getting some serious looks from Jon and I. We are tentatively planning a week-long careening camp for next year and will be meeting up as a day trip this year. Dates for this year are January 15-25 (yeah, ten whole days) with public days on Friday and Saturday 24-25. As of now the meet-up is Friday the 24th.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed. And more of us are attending those regular events. It feels weird to be planning for an event just a month from now.

Our first event of the season is behind us and Searle's is looming. I've added the 'Save the Santa Maria festival/Great Lakes Pirate Gathering' event as well, which is mid-May. Please send me dates for any regular and new events for 2014.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 1 year later...

has anyone talked about a full on crew event for this year?

Sure would like to make it Dana Point, but I suspect something in the midwest is more do-able for everyone.

Put -In-Bay?

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Is Dana Point in September again? I'm guessing weekend of Sept 16, 17 and 18?

As for Put-In-Bay, the dates for 2016 are June Fri June 17, Sat June 18, and Sun June 19, with the option of staying until Monday June 20 (but no official events or obligations for Monday).

Also, I don;t know how many Mercury will be attending (but I am certain a few are), but Tim Clark and Jeremy Nichols (those who were at Fort Taylor Dec 2014 will have met them) are organizing an event in Olcott, New York state for July 8,9, and 10. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1448628595443326/?fref=ts(to save your the google, it's a little less than an hour from Buffalo NY, and a little more than an hour from Rochester NY)

Michael_banner.jpg

Dana Point is Sept 10-11, 2016. It is always the weekend following Labor day. Set up is all day Friday Sept 9.

They've added another Jolleyboat recently and changed up the pirate skit on the Brig Pilgrim last year so it is more our time frame (Blackbeard).

It had previously been 1812 era with the crew of Jean LaFitte for the last 10ish years.

Mission mentioned Olcott to me earlier. Unfortunately we have a local event (for me California is local LOL) the same weekend as Olcott and Ft Rodman.

so its looking like my big trip might be PIB. I've been trying to plan that one a couple years now.

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I forgot Olcott and Rodman were the same weekend (well they were last year, and will likely be so again next year when Rodman is resumed in 2017).

But I'd love to have you for PiB, I really hope you are able to work it out. Please let me know if there is anything I can do from this side to help (finding a tent/shelter to borrow, a weapon to borrow so you font have to fuss with transporting that, or anything along those lines).

Cheers

Michael_banner.jpg

Put In Bay is an island on Lake Erie near Sandusky Ohio. ferry to the island. Hotels are pricey but there is camping for the pyrates. Michael Bagley organizes it.

https://www.putinbay.com/calendar.htm

mP

Thanks Pete,

To split some hairs.... Because it's fun to do that.... ;)

Put-In-Bay is the name of the village, the island is actually named "South Bass Island". It took me only, what 4 or 5 of the 7 years I've been doing the event to get that sorted in my head. :D

Hotels, cabin rentals, pretty much all accommodations on the island are fairly high. It's a resort island. While not as expensive as Key West, the prices are definitely higher than anywhere on the mainland. But yes, an ongoing deal for free period camping has been arranged for the pirate reenactors. Also, to date, our grocery bill has been a part of the deal. So while we do have to cook and prepare our food (and clean up).... Despite many choosing to dine out, for those that want to cook for themselves, food costs are not a concern for this event (as long as the requests are reasonable).

Michael Bagley organizes it.

This is a distinction I very much want to keep clear. The festival, is a bar crawl, street festival, reason for a pirate themed crazy costume party. The overall festival is run by the Put-in-Bay Chamber of Commerce, led by a now former member who conceived the idea while a member of the Chamber.

I literally act as a subordinate of him to organize and coordinate the historic/reenactor corner of the festival only. And while we do draw some great, very high quality historical reenactors, by (as yet) unspoken agreement, I have been keeping the standards low so as to be inclusive, and help the numbers grow. That said, there has been annual improvement of the quality of the portrayals by the participants. But the numbers have been steadily growing, so there has always been, and likely always will be a higher number of loose portrayals as compared to the number of "serious" historic impressions. The now annual "Make & Mend" event I run, has helped with helping others grow their historic portrayals.

There have only been 2 or 3 small boats at the even for the pirates to play with. This year is shaping up to be the first year when that number grows by a few. While we haven't been given proper moorage, the boats have always been sheltered for free and at no cost to us... despite the fact that docking fees on the island are not cheap (again, this is a party/resort island).

I think that should cover the basics.

Addendum: Most of the coordination/organization is done via Facebook. It isn't a requirement to be on Facebook in order to come and be a part of this, but anyone not on Facebook, please let me know if you are interested so I can ensure you are kept in the loop and informed of everything.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
On 10/10/2023 at 5:44 PM, Tudor MercWench Smith said:

Ok.....so it's been almost a month since Massacre Island, so I have to ask......what's next!?!?

What are you talking about, I just arrived home yesterday... 😜

6 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

What are you talking about, I just arrived home yesterday... 😜

Took the wandering way around.

At least you beat Odysseus, & made it with most of your crew (stuff) & original ship intact. Odys didn’t.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

1 hour ago, madPete said:

And didnt have Miranda's Navigation skills!

So true, my actual navigation skills are for s*** - thank goodness for the modern GPS.

1 hour ago, Tartan Jack said:

Took the wandering way around.

That I did and had a wonderful time!