mr.bungle ,,"too many captains just a first mate here....."

mrbungle

hello.

new guy here, i have been wanting to do a pirate costume for awhile, finally got around to it. i am basing my look on the first mates from the POTC but being careful about buying things to make it as historically accurate as possible. a lot of the things in those movie are not accurate. so stylized accurate???

i mainly go to sci-fi conventions. and love doing historically costumes to give the trekkies a hard time. but i am member of the 501st legion a starwars costume group. even at these cons, most pirates you see are captains so that is why i am making a first mate.

got my slops and my buckle shoes.......and everything else but still waiting on a few items to finish the costume.

the only thing i have that is not period is my light dragoon flintlock. but i also have a queen anne. hope to buy a doglock later this year.

oh and i have one good eye so i have a legit reason to wear an eyepatch, made mine from an old wooden spoon and a leather tie.

Edited by mrbungle

Historic Trek costumes? The mind boggles, mrbungle. I always thought it was funny how so many people decided to be a captain. (And then there's my crew...which no one wants to captain. :lol: )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Ahoy and welcome aboard Cap'n Bungle! errrr, pardon... Mr. Bungle. :huh:-_-

IMO, one of the best 'Mr. Gibbs' looks is pub member Lucas Welsh.

Check out the You in Yar Garb thread, posts #400218 and 399707 to help you with ideas.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Historic Trek costumes? The mind boggles, mrbungle. I always thought it was funny how so many people decided to be a captain. (And then there's my crew...which no one wants to captain. :lol: )

Not even the Captain...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I need to be able to like Jim's post. You know, IPBoard stole so many other Facebook concepts, why didn't they steal that one?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I think you just did, in an old-fashioned sort of way. Thank you. Still, we have the best Quartermaster; who needs a captain?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Ha, Early on i suggested we elect Capt. Atwood Capt. for life when he wasn't able to make one of our meetings... The look on his face was priceless when we told him... But after all these years I have come to realize how long someone can hold a grudge LOL :lol:

Aye, and there's nothing wrong with being captain, but give me a good able seaman any day of the week. Most of the people I know who play the captain couldn't lead men out of a wet paper bag, but I've met my share of hard working, good, well schooled and modest men that will play their parts before the mast better than any seven captains. Besides, a captaincy should be earned by appointment, reputation, or for better or worse, ruthlessness dictatorship or worthy leadership. A lord may buy the big chair, but those who rise by degrees make better captains. The hobby is supersaturated with big hats.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The Captain thang has always had me scratchin me head.>

Eye am an able seamen,with the stench of seven whores ~ and Pine Tar to Boot ~ eagh eagh

Best wishes to yas ifen ye bring live cannon to one of those Cons ye be speechin of mate.. Have fun most of all!

Welcome to our world...>

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

If your going for First mate, you're going to want something simpler than the big fancy coat and feathered hat of a captain. I've played Mr Smee on a couple occasions and still had a VERY nice outfit... though I do prefer to play the Grand Gentleman Pyrate Archtype.... if you want, I can send you a link to a place that sells nice coats that would suit both captains and tars/ mates depending on the options you ordered. Though I will tell you, the coats are more buccaneer era, (1660s) than early 1700s

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

I'd like Williams post too, if I could. Besides, being the captain wasn't always such great shakes if you go by this passage...

"I shall consider their military Officer, the Captain; what Privileges he exerts in such Anarchy and unrulyness of the Members: Why truly very little, they only permit him to be Captain, on Condition, that they may be Captain over him; they separate to his Use the great Cabin, and sometimes vote him small Parcels of Plate and China, (for it may be noted that Roberts drank his Tea constantly) but then every Man, as the

__

Honour takes him, will use the Plate and China, intrude into his Apartment, swear at him, seize a Part of his Victuals, and Drink, if they like it, without his offering to find Fault or contest it..." (The Schonhorn edition of the General History of the Pyrates)

Mission_banner5.JPG

. . .

i mainly go to sci-fi conventions. and love doing historically costumes to give the trekkies a hard time. but i am member of the 501st legion a starwars costume group. even at these cons, most pirates you see are captains so that is why i am making a first mate.

. . .

Oi Mister Bungle, Were hanging out with the 501st this past week-end in Georgia?

alas Mr Welsh has now taken the kings pardon and retired from piracy to become a humble Blacksmith at Little Woodham historical village.

POD -

Sorry to see him move on. He had a great look.

Perhaps he's out there forging some piratical items on the side for his old shipmates. ^_^

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

hey greyhound, that would be great if you have a link to some nice coats.

Ok, this is the website http://www.whitepavi...com/pirates.htm The one i was recomending was the 'Privateer' style, but there are some nice other ones if u want something simple but nice. I also know some other sites, as well as sites that sell paterns if you feel inclined to make your own, and customize it.

Edited by Dread Pyrate Greyhound

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

thanks for the link, greyhound.

no i was not tudor, i troop with the alabama garrison of the 501st.

Well yeah. . . but it's not like Alabama is that far away, plus I didn't think you guys respected boarders.

Anyway sorry, my mistake.

Your name seemed familiar and I thought I might have met you.

i have trooped with some georgia folks in the past so we might have meet before.

Wait - Who have you been talking to?

I've never said anything about meeting those people before.

Ok I guess I just did, but I don't even like Star Trek, I mean Star Wars. . . well maybe I do just a little bit.

Seriously though, you guys are how old and dressing up in costumes that you can hardly sit down in. . . of course what we do here is completely different. ;)