Looking into cannon ownership

James Smythe

I have been putting aside money for two different things at the moment. One is sailing lessons. The other is the purchase of a cannon. I believe that with the resource of the pub I can get some good info on purchasing. I am in the field for a swivel gun. I have been looking around and found a few bronze barrels that look good and some steel barrels. The bronze barrels have no liners and the steel ones need boring. I can do neither of these things and would like to know how pertinant a barrel lining is or if I could get assistance in finishing a steel one.

smythesig-2.jpg

Note on Hurn they are lined but you won't see that on there web page,there tube is verry good but they don't make the yokes so you will have to find some to fabercate one and it might cost as much as the tube don't use TRO that's who they sent me to and I was verry disapponted in the yoke they sent me. My falt becuse I assumed that if Hurn was recomendening them it would have been a better in appearace than the what I recive with out checking them out and asking for photos of extly what kind of yoke they make.

What is you budget, my friend here (Viceroy) who many know does not advertise online and makes the finest bronze guns available.

My budget is somewhere around $1500. I have also found where I can get yokes. I jsut need to make sure they fit. I will look into Hurn.

http://www.gggodwin.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=85

smythesig-2.jpg

i bought hern's english swivel gun about 3yrs ago it's a great looking gun. it's a copy of the gun you see on the quarter deck of the surprise in master and comanders. you do have to drill the vent. i didn't go with the dolphins i thought they clutterd the look of the barrel. it is a heavy gun at 90lbs. i put mine on a carriage.

Have you looked at the pictures in my gallery for cannons? For a small swivel gun he could do a beautiful bronze gun with dolphins and a bronze yoke made for the gun. 1 inch bore roughly 22 inches in length here is a picture of the barrel patined on a yoke without the dolphins.

gallery_6250_115_90484.jpg

There also is the possibility of a small breech loading swivel Both are in your budget.

id.jpg

I'm quite happy with mine from Cannon mikes,he does have a website. Mine is a 1 1/4 bore with a socket for a aiming handle, he has other styles too, it is a lathe turned gun made of 4140 steel, the yoke is not period correct but thats o.k. with me cause least it came with one. Alot of pirates in the northwest use his products. I paid $870 for mine.

Oh and by the way, The vent came drilled

Edited by Rusty Barrels