Sons of Guns Fires a Blunderbuss

oderlesseye

Sons of Guns Fires a Blunderbuss fully loaded with 200 grains of powder! DAmn it ~ Says eye ~

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/sons-of-guns-bad-ass-blunderbuss.html#mkcpgn=fbdsc30

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

'Eye' -

Thanks for the link.

Me eyes were rolling back in me head awaiting for the clip to download. It took f -o- -r- -e- -v- -e -r :blink:

Awesome but I didn't catch if they said what size shot was used... :unsure:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

My name is Reign Clark. I built Will's 4-bore blunderbuss kit from a blank of Bastogne walnut and a round bar stock for the barrel and breech plug. I test fired his gun to develop a proof and standard load for his particular gun. If I can help anyone with a fine blunderbuss similar to the one I built for Red Jacket, let me know.

Contact me at 512-419-8424 or reignclark@gmail.com

Im sure I don't speak alone in saying we would all like to see some better pictures of the blunderbuss. Did you maintain the same bore all the way to the breech? What option did you take for the lock, it looks like it may be a Siler from Chambers??? How far does did you machine the interior taper? Whats the cost on something like this?

id.jpg

Will cut the flare about 2" back from the muzzle. This one has a bore of .985". The flare goes to about 1.750". Please contact me for photos, further info about configuration, and pricing.

My first buss was a 7-bore. It shoots 2.5 oz of shot or a 1000 grain ball. At 8 lbs, it's a hoot.

Look for videos on YouTube under customblunderbuss for video of the 7 and 4 bores in action.

Thanks,

Reign Clark

just caught the show on the tv tonight. it shot a 5ft pattern on the inside range target board thats from top to bottom with most shot in the center. it looked like the target shot and the clay pigeons from the holes was bird shot or buck nothing bigger. they did shoot it at a multi rail setup of stuffed birds but it was rigged with charges like they do alot of, so it went up in a fire ball.

13 each 45 caliber balls make a 4 ounce load that I recommend for the 4-bores. These balls stack like 00 buck in a 12-bore. Pattern spread depends on barrel length and velocity. The power of this load within 30 yards has to be seen and shot to be believed.

Heavy payloads of small birdshot give dense patterns at 30-50 yards with the longer barrel lengths with no choke.

The 1400 grain round balls will go 5-6 feet into a clay bank and create a hole the size of your fist. The momentum created is unbelievable.

Reign Clark

512-419-8424

i have a blunderbuss with a 16" brass alloy barrel 1 3/8 bell at the muzzel and it is 77cal. i have fired it many time with blank loads 80grms 2f. never got to do a live fire yet. i get a lot of questions about it field of fire. if i loaded it with 50cal balls how much powder and how many balls would i needed and what kind of pattern and yards would i get. thanks

50 caliber balls are to big for your bore size. I would keep buckshot at about 45% of bore size so they nest well in the barrel. You should use 36 caliber buckshot (000) as the largest size in your gun. I cannot recommend a powder charge as I am not familiar with your particular weapon.

Stynkys post is goofed up..eye think he is asking what the grain size is being used... @ 200 Grain as we saw in the video. Which BTW is awesome!

eye read the whole thread and saw no answer as to how much to have a custom blunderbuss of this magnitude would cost.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Stynkys post is goofed up..eye think he is asking what the grain size is being used... @ 200 Grain as we saw in the video. Which BTW is awesome!

eye read the whole thread and saw no answer as to how much to have a custom blunderbuss of this magnitude would cost.

Thanks Oderless, but I actually understand how many grains were used.

My question is about what F powder Reign used - since 1F or 2F fires completely different from how 4F or FFFF loads and fires.

4-bore cartridge guns are loaded with 14-16 drams of Fg or FFg. I use FFg for a faster burning rate to get a little more velocity out of a very short barrel. The use of FFg also increases breech pressure compared to a coarser grade. I feel it is safe to use FFg in the 4-bore blunderbusses that I build. I build the blunderbuss barrel and breech plug to the same spec as a 4-bore rifle designed to fire a 1750 grain ball with a full ounce (16 drams or 437 grains) of powder. I don't use that much powder because it will never get close to burning efficiently in short barrels. I came up with a 200 grain standard loading by shooting the weapon over a white sheet with progressively higher loads until I started seeing unburned powder. That occurred at around 220 grains.

Send me an e-mail or give me a call regarding pricing. Pricing depends completely on options.

Reignclark@gmail.com

512-419-8424

3F is reserved for pistols and small cartridge loading as well as rifles of 45 caliber and smaller. The finer the granulation of powder, the faster the entire charge ignites due to the increased surface area of the grains (ie increased burning rate). For the big bores, you are heaving huge payloads at low to moderate velocity. You need a slower burning rate powder to accomplish this without dangerous breech pressure.

I’ve shot 2F in both my flintlock and snaphance, it's a bit too course - I've always thought of it more as cannon powder. Given your piece though, the caliber and payload - it’s totally understandable.

I think most of us here shoot 3F. Except for special cases, I don’t think most of us use wadding during reenactments – makes a mess of the field and can become a potential projectile.