Alcohol a factor in woman's cannonball death, authorities say

Iron Jon

Southern California -- this just in

March 6, 2012 | 10:35 am

Authorities said the cannonball that struck and killed a 33-year-old woman in San Diego County was homemade and that alcohol was involved in the incident.

The woman's husband and another man were working on a cannon shortly after midnight outside the couple's mobile home when it exploded, according to a Cal-Fire spokesman. One of the two men was sent to the hospital with minor injuries.

The incident is being investigated by the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

Few details were immediately available, and it's unclear exactly what killed the woman.

The incident occurred in a mobile home park in Potrero on the Mexican border.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Woman killed by cannonball while 4-year-old slept nearby

A 4-year-old was sleeping in the mobile home struck by a cannonball that killed a 33-year-old woman in San Diego County, officials said.

The incident, which is being investigated by the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, took place when the woman's husband and another man were working on a cannon shortly after midnight outside the couple's mobile home and it exploded, according to a Cal-Fire spokesman.

One of the two men was sent to a hospital with minor injuries, but the 4-year-old was not hurt, officials said. A Cal-Fire spokeswoman said the woman's husband was "freaking out" after the incident.

Authorities said the cannonball was homemade and that alcohol was involved. The mobile home was located near rural Potrero in eastern San Diego County.

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

First, my sympathies to the victims. Damn shame.

Second, they seem to be using "cannonball", "cannon" and the implicit "shrapnel" interchangeably. So what hit the victim? And why the hell to people seem intent on making "home-built" cannon and blowing themselves up? Don't they have the internet to see how often this happens?

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Updated: Tuesday, March 6, 9:10 PM

SAN DIEGO — A man was arrested Tuesday after a homemade cannon blasted through his mobile home, killing his girlfriend in a remote mountain community near San Diego, authorities said.

Richard Fox, 39, shot the cannon after loading it with fireworks powder, said San Diego County sheriff’s Sgt. David Martinez. His 38-year-old girlfriend was found dead from shrapnel wounds when authorities arrived at the home.

Fox was treated at a hospital for shrapnel wounds to his right leg and arrested for investigation of exploding a device resulting in death, Martinez said. Three other adults and a 4-year-old girl who were inside the home escaped injury.

Edited by Iron Jon

Jonathan Washbourne

OK, so since he was treated for shrapnel wounds himself, it's sounding more and more like this was a case of explosive breaching of the tube itself. Idiots will continue to do this crap and give us all a bad name.

Stands on soapbox-

Yet another case that will be used to hammer cannoneers and reenactors, even though we had nothing to do with it. The pirate community really needs to settle on a standardised set of rules that we all sign on to and gives us credibility when the rules monkeys try to shut us down.

Hawkyns

Master Gunner

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg