Some interesting pictures.

Counter commemorating a French treasure ship blown up in Hyères Bay, 1710 http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/38076.html

large.jpg

This picture has been posted several times but never with the NMM description

large.jpg

"A conversation piece set in the great cabin of the vessel which took Lord Boyne from Venice to Lisbon. Gustavus Hamilton succeeded to the title in 1723 and shortly before coming of age he made the Grand Tour. The original and larger painting, still in the Boyne collection, was probably executed in Venice during this tour, between 1731 and 1732. Although it is a work depicting a group of friends, it may also convey hidden political significance. Lord Boyne is shown as a full-length portrait to left in profile, seated at a table. He sits sideways in the chair, his right arm over the back and his hands clasped. He wears his own red hair and the natural coloured smock and trousers of a sailor, with a red check neckcloth. One of the others in the cabin is believed to be the third Earl of Carlisle, with white hair standing to the left and holding a drinking mug in his left hand. His right hand rests on a volume of 'Don Quixote'. Behind him, pointing at the crown compass hanging from the deckhead is the master of the ship. On the right Sir Francis Dashwood is pointing on a chart to the Straits of Bonifacio, possibly marking a route from Venice to Lisbon on a chart. On his return to London, Sir Francis Dashwood was an influential member of the Hellfire Club. He was also for some time up to his death the administrator of the Irish Customs. Behind him stands another mariner, believed to be Lord Middlesex, who holds a shepherd's pipe. All are dressed in similar fashion to Lord Boyne although the master and Lord Middlesex are wearing caps. They are seated around a table covered with a Turkey cloth on which a large bowl of punch has been placed. In the foreground, Boyne's foot gestures towards a cat coming out from under the table. The presence of the cat in the portrait serves to subvert the image and may invite a particular interpretation of it. The original painting by Nazari, a Venetian painter, was reputedly such a success that subsequently over 30 replicas were made. This particular version is thought to be an early copy. Hogarth, who knew and painted Boyne, was almost certainly influenced by the picture in his commission to paint the conversation piece 'Captain Lord George Graham (1715-47) in his cabin', in about 1742-44."

A Danish Timber Bark Getting Under Way 1735

large.jpg

A Man-of-War Flying the Royal Standard, and Other Ships of the Fleet early 18th C

large.jpg

Here we have Peter Warren the naval officer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Warren_(Royal_Navy_officer)) no clear date here http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/127523.html Thought it is clear that this amde around the (early)mid 18th century, likely before 1752 when Warren died and this doesn't seem to be an obituary. In particular note I make the quite clear sailors featured in the coat of arms below the main figure. They have swords, pistol belts, neck-cloths, cocked hats, jackets and trousers the latter of those makes it even clearer that they are indeed sailors especially in this context.

large.jpg

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it must have been the style to make men look fey at this time. I just can't see a bunch of honest-to-john sailors wandering about the countryside actually looking and acting like this, even for a lady:

402px-Sailors_Return_1744.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Yet, if you go back and look at the stuff that's been posted here, a lot of the men shown close up have that same attitude and appearance. It has to have been at least partly due to the artistic style of the time.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...

For a long time I haven't posted anything here so I decided to pop up with a few pictures

Porto Rico 1671

large.jpg

An English privateer engaging a French privateer the mid 18th C

large.jpg

The Attack of Severndroog by Commodore James, 2nd April 1755

large.jpg

Spanish engagement with Barbary pirates (the 17th C)

large.jpg

Arches of Westminster Bridge – Samuel Scott 1750

siftingthepast_arches-of-westminster-bri

John Paul Jones

Arches of Westminster Bridge – Samuel Scott 1750

siftingthepast_arches-of-westminster-bri

Now I know the guys on top are on a makeshift scaffold drinking (which in itself is sort of interesting), but when glanced at quickly, it looks like they got their boat trapped up there and are trying to figure out how to get it down.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...

A neat picture from 1708 " Ships in the Thames Estuary near Sheerness"

I cannot help to wonder what it is with those white uniformly costumes

siftingthepast_ships-in-the-thames-estua

And I found the answer to that uniformity here http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66293.html

And also I found out the Wiki has some great info about the one painting we have bee looking for a long time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Lord_George_Graham_in_his_Cabin

John Paul Jones

• 2 weeks later...

A pirate related in my opinion

1720 Painting of Peter Wessel Tordenskiold (lived 1690-1720) who was an eminent naval officer in the service of the Royal Dano-Norwegian Navy during The Great Norther War (1700–21)

Tordenskiold_Coning.jpg'

Same man without full armor and hat in 1719

Tordenskiold.jpg'

John Paul Jones

And also I found out the Wiki has some great info about the one painting we have bee looking for a long time

The comments on the clothing were interesting, although I thought they got a bit overwrought in places.

If the commentators are correct, this was not every day garb as I think we had discussed previously. (This is my basic concern with most period portraits though, particularly commissioned pieces. The artist goes out of their way to make the subject look better and more ornate than they normally would have been, so the clothing may not be truly reflective of reality. It would be a good representation of the finest clothing of the period as well as the high-fashion styles, though.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Indeed I think this got over-analyzed there.

The comments on the clothing were interesting, although I thought they got a bit overwrought in places.

If the commentators are correct, this was not every day garb as I think we had discussed previously. (This is my basic concern with most period portraits though, particularly commissioned pieces. The artist goes out of their way to make the subject look better and more ornate than they normally would have been, so the clothing may not be truly reflective of reality. It would be a good representation of the finest clothing of the period as well as the high-fashion styles, though.)

Well I am not so sure about that. The captain is wearing a cap and slippers which are, as far as I know, rather casual clothing rather than the finest clothing. Certainly he wouldn't sleep with that clothing but when he would have been in front of the Parliament (he was also a MP) he would have, I think, used his wig in his head, an actual justacorps coat and a hat under his arm, like other MPs in most pictures. I think this is the finest version of casual gentleman gear. But probably most captains didn't even own this fine suits... After all Graham was a Lord....

Also note that the cap is just like this earlier example Turban style "nightcap" worn in indoors, 1696. http://www.costumes.org/history/leloir/vol10/38_1696velournightcap.jpg and nightcaps weren't the best clothing gentlemen had as it was used when you were out of sight in your home, or indeed in your cabin, when you didn't need to make a really good impression. Same with slippers I think. Correct me if needed. ;)

I think the armored Tordenskiöld picture is more one of those pictures with non-everyday clothing.

John Paul Jones

A couple of notes here. Although the article says these are slippers ohis feet, they a not. Look carefully, they have buckles. Period slippers do not.

It appears simply that he has retired to his cabin, thrown on a heavy, fur lined garment over his outer clothes (I hesitate to call it a banyan), and taken off his wig and covered his head with a cap, as it would not do to have an uncovered head and appears that it might be too cold to do so anyway. Wigs can be tight and itchy, why wear one when you needn't?

As for the fineness of his clothing, even the cap, rarely seen, could be quite expensive. It is the way things were done, in a world where there were fewer ways to show wealth. Conspicuous consumption shows up in the expense of cloth and trimmings when there are no BMWs to buy. Clothing in private quarters can be just as fine as those worn in public if the person wearing them can afford it.

Ok Glad to know.

And more pictures

Sir Jeremiah Smith (the Royal Navy officer) circa 1666 by Sir Peter Lely

" A three-quarter-length portrait to left in a brown silk coat fastened with gold clips and with a gold-tasselled red sash round his waist. He is leaning forward onto a stone plinth, his right hand fingering his neck cloth. His telescope rests on the plinth in front of him, and there is a ship beyond. In the right background is a globe and brown draperies."

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/14504.html

large.jpg

Thing I see notable: The eagle head sword and the telescope since this is one of the earliest pictures of naval people I have found with telescopes. The sword reminds me of this

Here "Men in a Boat Near Two Dutch Ships" 1652

large.jpg

Nothing extraoldinary here. Well quite early telescope here too. And the boat seems to be deformed by a perspective error. BTW is that a broom in the boat?

Novissima et accuratissima insulae Jamaicae descriptio so simply Jamaica in 1675 map.

large.jpg

Careening ship in late 18th century "A Ship Hove Down and Burning Off"

large.jpg

John Paul Jones

More stuff

The Battle of The Texel, 11 August 1673 picture crica 1685

large.jpg

The 'St Andrew' at Sea in a Moderate Breeze circa 1673

large.jpg

A Dutch Bezan Yacht and many other Vessels in a Crowded Harbour beside a Tavern circa 1669

large.jpg

Turtle hunting in 1740s

http://jcb.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/detail/JCB~1~1~3556~5630001:-top--Maniere-de-Varer-les-Tort%C3%BCes-?sort=Normalized_date%2CCreators%2CPublisher%2CTitle&qvq=w4s:/when/1701-1750;q:caribbean;sort:Normalized_date%2CCreators%2CPublisher%2CTitle;lc:JCB~1~1,JCBBOOKS~1~1,JCBMAPS~1~1,JCBMAPS~2~2&mi=257&trs=268

The Battle of Barfleur, 19 May 1692 (paining 1693)

large.jpg

Hats on French army officers in Barcelona, 1705

36_1705.jpg

Not sure have I posted this before I think I haven't so

The Battle of Vigo Bay, 12 October 1702 painting circa 1702-3

large.jpg

John Paul Jones

Since unfortunately I cannot edit that post anymore I must post this in new post.

The Sequel, or the Banker a Bankrupt http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=3072520&partId=1&searchText=sailor&view=list&page=16

"Satire on a corrupt banker, William Belchier, showing creditors assembled in the ante-room to his banking house: three sailors complaining that there is no "Progg" (i.e. booty) to be had from their privateering; a middle-aged man wringing his hands while bewailing the loss of his "whole Fortune" while another man consoles him with the hope that money will be paid "by & by";"

So if the date circa 1733 is correct (but something in this looks like a little later I dunno) here we have almost Gaop sailors wearing slops-trousers, jackets, tricornes and neck-clots. The sailors must be the men in the right side. Nothing really special though....

AN00355217_001_l.jpg

This is also interesting as it has Dutch sailor http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=3070209&partId=1&searchText=sailor&view=list&page=4

Later than Gaop but it is showing us a cook, captain and sailor http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=3275971&partId=1&searchText=sailor&view=list&page=6

Also I feel that the date 1746-1751 might be a little too early but I dunno....

AN00818032_001_l.jpg

John Paul Jones

Sorry for triple post but it seems that time is up and I cannot edit my earlier posts.

Chaloner Ogle in 1718 actually four years before than he killed Roberts.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/14390.html

btw he is wearing blue coat again

Need to correct that

The date 1718 seems to be error http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/14390.html there was at least other dating error (He killed Roberts in 1722 not 1712) and the text says that this is painted between 1745-47) But for the some reason there was the date circa 1718.

John Paul Jones

And more (click them to get them larger)

Peter Monamy's (1681 - 1749) work "Royal Yacht Becalmed at Anchor". I especially like the clear view of fishermen/sailors and ofcourse the ships. This artwork

should be made between 1710 and 1730

Peter_Monamy_-_Royal_Yacht_Becalmed_at_A

John Laguerre, 1688-1746 Hob Selling Beer at the Wake. Circa 1725. Stuff from harlequins to gentlemen.

siftingthepast_hob-selling-beer-at-the-w

Peter Monany The Opening of the First Eddystone Lighthouse in 1698 picture circa 1703 (Note again the uniformed boatmen with some kind of caps, reddish breeches and white shirts much like I posted in leather caps thread)

Peter_Monamy_-_The_Opening_of_the_First_

Also this is interesting artifact if it is indeed real http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/the-mussard-workshop-circa-17301740-le-serpent-4107817-details.aspx?intObjectID=4107817 e.g shows nearly Gaop sailor wearing pipe in his cap....

John Paul Jones

• 2 months later...

Some pictures...

The first is only slightly pirate related.He looks silly in modern perspective as so many other gentleman's of Gaop. Nothing really special though.

Fernando de Alencastre, 1st Duke of Linares who was the governor of New Spain c. 1641, Spain—June 3, 1717, Mexico City.

456px-FernandodeAlencastre.jpg

Jesus of Lübeck. She was John Hawkins' vessel in 1560s

AnthonyRoll-6_Jesus_of_L%C3%BCbeck.jpg

Later that Gaop. 1790s -early 1800s caricature but NMM has no date with it it... The maker, John Fairburn,of the image lived then and made other similar works so the date is pretty much like that... as a detail the socks seems to be striped in some way...

The Tobacco Box, or Jack taking a Quid of Comfort in a Storm

large.jpg

Same with colour

large.jpg

"An English Ship in a Gale Trying to Claw off a Lee Shore" 1670s by Willem van de Velde.

large.jpg

Map of Acapulco circa 1685 (North is up, like in most modern maps, which seems to be rather rare in old maps)

large.jpg

Another similar map now of Naguala

large.jpg

A probable portrait Lars Gathenhielm (1689–1718), who was a Swedish merchant and privateer Great Northern War.

Gathenhielm.jpg

John Paul Jones

• 2 weeks later...

More pictures

Well not completely naval but related to The 18th century Caribbean.

British occupied Havana, Cuba, during the Seven Years War in 1762

Artist of following pictured is Dominic Serres (1719–1793)

So here some works about the occupation of Havana made around 1770s

Dominic_Serres_the_Elder_-_The_Capture_o

The Capture of Havana, 1762: the Landing, 7th June

British_fleet_entering_Havana.jpg

The British Fleet Entering Havana, 21 August 1762

Dominic_Serres_the_Elder_-_The_Captured_

The Captured Spanish Fleet at Havana, August-September 1762

The Capture of Havana, 1762: The Morro Castle and the Boom Defence Before the Attack

Dominic_Serres_the_Elder_-_The_Cathedral
The Cathedral at Havana, August-September 1762

The Capture of Havana, 1762: the English Battery Before Morro Castle (I love the giant cactus)

Dominic_Serres_the_Elder_-_The_Piazza_at

The Piazza at Havana (the men with black hats, canes and blue coats are surely sailors of the mid-late 18th century)

And now another work with different theme

A_Castro%2C_Lorenzo_-_A_Sea_Fight_with_B

By a Castro, Lorenzo (Active c. 1664 - died c.1700?) "A Sea Fight with Barbary Corsairs" made around 1680s

John Paul Jones

It's always interesting to see what you've found most recently. You really dig into this deeper than anyone I've seen. Keep up the good work. B)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here are some woodcuts from the German Project Gutenberg Edition of Master Johann Dietz, Surgeon in the Army of the Great Elector and Barber to the Royal Court. These are likewise taken from other manuscripts and put into the Dietz book.

0127.jpg

Ships Whaling, Excerpted from CG Zorgdragers Greenland Fisheries (Leipzig, 1723)

0163.jpg

Ships Trapped in the Ice, Excerpted from CG Zorgdragers Greenland Fisheries (Leipzig, 1723)

0172.jpg

Ship in a Storm, Excerpted from Friederich Martens' Spitz Bergische Greenlandic or travel description (Hamburg 1675)

0190.jpg

The Port of Hamburg, partial view, After engraving by David John J. Martini (1754)

0195.jpg

The Port of Hamburg, partial view, After engraving by David John J. Martini (1754)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here are some woodcuts from the German Project Gutenberg Edition of Master Johann Dietz, Surgeon in the Army of the Great Elector and Barber to the Royal Court. These are likewise taken from other manuscripts and put into the Dietz book.

0127.jpg

Ships Whaling, Excerpted from CG Zorgdragers Greenland Fisheries (Leipzig, 1723)

0163.jpg

Ships Trapped in the Ice, Excerpted from CG Zorgdragers Greenland Fisheries (Leipzig, 1723)

0172.jpg

Ship in a Storm, Excerpted from Friederich Martens' Spitz Bergische Greenlandic or travel description (Hamburg 1675)

0190.jpg

0195.jpg

Really interesting :)

Oh

Here is the on of them in larger shape

Gr%C3%B6nl%C3%A4ndische_Fischerei_%28172

John Paul Jones

• 4 weeks later...

Some pictures of PEter monamy which Ihave not shared yet... at least most of them should be like that...

(Peter Monamy was an English marine painter who lived between 1681 and 1749.(So practically in GAop))

An English East Indiaman 1720 Peter Monamy
pictm6.jpg

The flagship Royal Sovereign saluting at the Nore. First Half of the 18th Century

Peter_Monamy_-_The_flagship_Royal_Sovere

An English Royal Yacht Standing Offshore in a Calm. Circa 1730
Peter_Monamy_-_An_English_Royal_Yacht_St

Seascape with shipping in a naval battle

LS157859_HR.jpg

Shipping in a Calm. Made between 1700 and 1725

Peter_Monamy_-_Shipping_in_a_Calm_-_Goog

John Paul Jones

Since you seem to be so good at finding images, I have a question for you Swashbuckler 1700 (or anyone if they can figure it out.)

Where is the image below originally from? I can trace it back to Getty Images, but they are less than helpful as to the original source. They identify it as being Blackbeard circa 1715, but the image is clearly more recent than that. The also say it is originally from 1754, but they identify other pirate images that are from the General History as being from that date when I know they are from earlier versions, so that appears to be just some sort of generic date they threw in there.

At first I thought it might be from a foreign version of the General History or a version that came out after the ones with the images with which we are all familiar in 1726 & 1736, but now I'm not so sure. It could be an engraving for a newspaper or a standalone image.

Engraving-of-BB-with-fuses-woven-in-his-

Mission_banner5.JPG