Some interesting pictures.

ahhh seeing that hat I can now see how they can be mistaken for a Bicorne. It's because the back of that hat is a lot wider than the sides which angles them back a lot more.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aiee! This is driving me crazy. There's a somewhat comical image of a guy from the 17th/18th century wearing several hats, one on top of another. He has a grin on his face if I remember it right. I can't find it! I know it's been posted on these forums several times. Can anyone point me to that image?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh, man... If I didn't love the monkey I have now as an avatar...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

and for no apparent reason, a annoyingly flexible man with a monkey! laroon_0017.jpg

I hate it when this happens!

I guess sometimes you wake up and the wrong side of the bed???

BTW: try doing that in latchet shoes... I'd be making a face like that too!

Edited by Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure have I posted this before but

"Pirates Attack a Ship" from 1732 so quite early. I think this is not the best illustration made since even the ships look worse than in many other encravings..... apparently pirates were cloned back then :P looking their appearace in this picture.... Picture is Fench. Info about the picture is in the page.

http://jcb.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/detail/JCB~1~1~3654~5740010:-Pirates-attack-a-ship-?sort=Normalized_date%2CCreators%2CPublisher%2CTitle&qvq=q:pirates;sort:Normalized_date%2CCreators%2CPublisher%2CTitle;lc:JCB~1~1,JCBBOOKS~1~1,JCBMAPS~1~1,JCBMAPS~2~2&mi=35&trs=78

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

This is especially For Mission

http://www.historicalimagebank.com/gallery/main.php/v/album02/album25/album110/FW292d-+British+Grenadiers+Cartridge+Pouch+_Reign+of+Queen+Anne+1704-1714++copy.jpg.html

need I say more. But I think you have wooden legs enough allready.

I try to find a image without stamp...

John Paul Jones

This is especially For Mission

http://www.historica... copy.jpg.html

Pretty nifty. I wonder if that was just a single cartridge pouch design or if that was the symbol of the group? The way it's shown, it looks like it's some sort of seal or standard.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

What a fascinating find! A look into the Spanish side of things. (And where did many pirates get their supplies from, but the Spanish?)

William Red Wake, you really will enjoy checking that page out. It has stuff like this on it:

"Supplies taken on for the long transoceanic voyages. Diccionario demostrativo... by the Marquis of La Victoria. Cádiz, 1719-1756. MN "

p5ima9.jpg

p5ima10.jpg

p5ima13.jpg

Ohhh, and for Foxe, dutchman, daniel, PoD and several others I'm forgetting...

Instruments and implements used for navigation. Diccionario demostrativo... by the Marquis of La Victoria. Cádiz, 1719-1756. MN

p5ima15.jpg

There are several other interesting drawings as well, including officer cabin furniture that I think might interest Elena.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Everything here interests me, Mission, thank you! I saved the article to link it into my resource list.

And I succeeded to lure Swashbuckler to my Caribbean waters too :P

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Interesting article, and it contains a few pictures from the Álbum de Construcción Naval del Marqués de la Victoria. I've linked it on this site once before:

http://www.armada.mde.es/ArmadaPortal/page/Portal/armadaEspannola/ciencia_museo/06_documentacion--02_archivo--01_del_deposito_hidrografico--coleccion-marques-victoria

People have been talking about this source on this forum and other pirate forums for years, see Pirate Brethren Forum back in 2006: http://www.piratebrethren.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=260

We have a high quality pic for half of the one involving clothing: http://www.piratebrethren.com/spanishsailornotes.gif

Somewhere there is the other half, but I can't find the link. But beyond that, no one has anything else available so far that isn't low quality. I've been trying to find it myself - for they did a 1995 reprint of this book (very limited printing). Only four libraries in the whole United States hold this book. If you ever see it on sale, even if its hundreds of dollars, it's worth its weight in gold.

While I am not a fan of repeating stuff needlessly, I think it's always a good idea to repeat links, images and other material in threads where they're relevant. I didn't recall a lot of what was in that link and I follow this forum pretty regularly. I always like to encourage people to present interesting information so long as it isn't under very recent discussion.

In a related vein, I have been combining old topics on the same subject in the Pub as I come across them so that we can consolidate the information for ease of discovery via the search function and external search engines. Very few people look at topics past the first page (or even the recently posted to search function), so if all the info is consolidated, repetition of information can be reduced somewhat in that way.

Mission_banner5.JPG

For some reason I found myself studying "The Great Northern War" and I found a pic that is enough pirate related, desides being time related.

http://www.starsoft.fi/bothnia/skampaen.html The main thing is the "Reconstructed uniform of a Russian seaman." I know pirates were rarely Russians but it is period sailor clothing nevertheless.

John Paul Jones

I thought some of you might like this. Unfortunately the website where I found it doesn't know the date of the card.

V0019821_FINAL.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

William Red Wake, you really will enjoy checking that page out. It has stuff like this on it:

"Supplies taken on for the long transoceanic voyages. Diccionario demostrativo... by the Marquis of La Victoria. Cádiz, 1719-1756. MN "

I've always found these intriguing and infuriating, because they're too small.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Actually, if you're looking for rare books, bookfinder is the best way I've found to do it. You have to be persistent, though. I was looking a copy of both editions of Barlow's Journal using bookfinder and wound up getting it for less than half the lowest price I found by checking for it there regularly.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

If they're digital, you can upload them directly to the Rogue's Gallery here on the forum. The upload button will appear on the far right top of the screen when you click on that hot link. Just follow the steps. (You do have to upload them one at a time, though.)

If they're not digital... you have to get a scanner or take digital photos and upload them that way.

Mission_banner5.JPG

If they're digital, you can upload them directly to the Rogue's Gallery here on the forum. The upload button will appear on the far right top of the screen when you click on that hot link. Just follow the steps. (You do have to upload them one at a time, though.)

If they're not digital... you have to get a scanner or take digital photos and upload them that way.

They are all on my flash drive, saved from when I was doing clothing searches to make the transition from early 18th to mid/late 17th century

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.