Boy's pirate flag banned for breaching adversting laws

Bright

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/anthony-steele-s-pirate-flag-banned-in-tattershall-for-breaching-adversting-laws.html

An autistic seven-year-old boy has been forced to take down a toy pirate flag in his garden - because it breaches advertising rules.

Parents Ronnie Ford-Kennedy and Sara Steele put up the skull and crossbones in the back garden of their home in Tattershall, Lincolnshire, for Anthony, who has Asperger's Syndrome - a form of autism.But the couple have been given just 28 days to take down the flag - or face court action.

East Lindsey District Council says the flag, erected on a fishing pole in the couple's back garden, needs advertising consent.

They were told they can fly any national flag - but not the skull and crossbones.Mr Ford-Kennedy told the Lincolnshire Echo: "Anthony likes playing pirates and when I have my daughters here, they all play pirates together. The flag has been up for three months. I found the letter shocking to say the least.

"Anthony has to be told things prior to what is happening because of his syndrome. We've told him we've got to take the flag down, but he doesn't really understand and neither do we.

"If it just affected me I would not be bothered but this is going to affect a little boy."

James Gilbert, spokesman from East Lindsey District Council, insisted the local authority's hands were tied.

He told Yahoo! News: "A pirate flag in a garden on a child’s play equipment should not be against planning regulations and we’d appeal to the Government to review this section of the Advertising Regulations. Not only has it put us in a difficult position but the family too.

"This is a situation where we’d rather the family could fly the flag legitimately but national planning law states they need advertising consent to do so.

"We are happy to offer advice on the types of flag they can fly without permission."

Aye says let the East Lindasey District Council know that the Brethren Court can over rule them on this matter let know via

customerservices@e-lindsey.gov.uk

Edited by Bright

Pegleg -

Yup, give enough AH's control of your life and you will relinquish your freedom.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I'm still trying to figure out where the advertising thing comes into this. What are they advertising? BTW, the link doesn't work and I'd like to read the original story.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Link appears severed. I guess the critics do not like criticism. :P

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I read the article more than once and it just made me tilt my head to once side like a confused dog. I mean that first line alone... "An autistic seven-year-old boy has been forced to take down a toy pirate flag in his garden - because it breaches advertising rules." I want to believe that it's a joke, but there it is, confusing and odd and once again proving that there's nothing stranger than real life.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

FYI Update from Father:

HI, thank you for your support, we recived a letter on Saturday saying the ELDC were backing down and Anthony could keep his colours flying high. We are so touched by all the support that has been given to him and our family.

Thank you again for the message and your support from your crew.

Ronnie Ford-Kennedy.

• 4 weeks later...