Wanted: Shoes!

Ahoy mates!

I work on a 72' brigantine doing pirate living history. I have a pair of straight last shoes, but never get to use them on board as they have leather soles, and I like to not slide while working on deck or aloft. Call me Mr. Picky if you like, but thud is bad, splash is bad, and thud splash is real bad.

Is anyone out there selling straight last shoes with a rubber sole? If so, I am willing to give them a try and if they work well the whole crew will probably grab some.

I'm not looking for boots. Thank you in advance for thinking of it, but I just need a good shoe.

Best,

Mr. Atwood

Quartermaster, Formidable

I used to have that problem with good dress shoes on marble tile. You might try what I did - scuffing the bottoms up with really rough sandpaper.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

JA -

A good shoemaker should be able to order and install sipped soles (boat shoe soles) on the bottom.

I had a pair of Dexter mocs that had an almost tan/flesh color sipped sole. Once installed and the edges dressed with a black Sharpie marker you should be able to go with a better degree of safety.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I have a pair that was modified with rubber soles at a shoe repair place. They just added the rubber sole to the existing leather. Not sure how it was done, but it turned out very well, can't really see the rubber unless you see the bottom of my shoes. This was a concession I had to make after several "thud" experiences. I've had the shoes for over a decade and they have worn well, the rubber hasn't peeled or anything.

I appreciate the advice folks. I have one pair of straight last shoes that need to be re-soled. I'll see about getting rubber ones put on.

But nobody knows of a place to just get shoes with rubber soles to begin with? There's new hands on board who I don't want to have to tell to buy a $100 pair of shoes, plus the price of buckles, then ask them to go out and get them re-soled for another $50.

If you can get to an event where Flying Canoe Traders is, mostly northeast , that would be my suggestion. I have a pair of their shoes with leather soles and rubber heels. Works great on a wet deck. I say get to the event because Louie doesn't mail order shoes, he actually fits them for you, then has you walk around for an hour to make sure they are comfortable. One of the best events to get him at is the Fort Frederick Market Fair, in Big Pool, MD. It is the 18th C Mall of America, with about a hundred sutlers of authentic (heavily juried) kit.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

If you can get to an event where Flying Canoe Traders is, mostly northeast , that would be my suggestion. I have a pair of their shoes with leather soles and rubber heels. Works great on a wet deck. I say get to the event because Louie doesn't mail order shoes, he actually fits them for you, then has you walk around for an hour to make sure they are comfortable. One of the best events to get him at is the Fort Frederick Market Fair, in Big Pool, MD. It is the 18th C Mall of America, with about a hundred sutlers of authentic (heavily juried) kit.

Hawkyns

Thank you very much for this bit of input. I'll see if I can catch them at an event. My crew and I have a few things from them, and they have held up well for several seasons.

Cheers,

John Atwood