Treasure Island (2012 with Eddie Izzard)

Maraudin Sparky

I liked the movie over all, but as mentioned some of the kit was strange.. the strangest, IMO, was the vest worn by Isreal Hand... leather and chainmaille patches. Looked more like it should be in a Mad Max movie than in this movie.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

I would pay money to see Mel Gibson in a pirate movie. It probably would not be an accurate movie, but if its anything like the awesomeness of the Patriot...

But anyway, I didn't even see the chainmail on that outfit. It would be interesting to know more about reasoning behind some of this costume selection from the people who made this film. At some points, I wonder if the costume coordinator simply ran out of outfits and didn't want to make more, so they borrowed whatever looked cool from their studio's collection.

I just saw this movie With over three hours of time, the movie fleshed out the Treasure Island story, including showing how Silver and Blind Pew got their physical trademarks.

Brit. Privateer -

To read some on a prequel of Treasure Island you may like to try John Drake's spin on it in his three book series:

Flint and Silver, Skull and Bones, and Pieces of Eight.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I just saw this movie With over three hours of time, the movie fleshed out the Treasure Island story, including showing how Silver and Blind Pew got their physical trademarks.

Brit. Privateer -

To read some on a prequel of Treasure Island you may like to try John Drake's spin on it in his three book series:

Flint and Silver, Skull and Bones, and Pieces of Eight.

Jas. Hook ;)

I've heard of those books. But, when I talk about Treasure Island, I stick to Robert Lewis Stevenson in terms of comparing and contrasting the movie version with the original source material (and Stevenson didn't right a prequel or sequel). How are those books though?

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hey, for those of you in the U.S., This version of Treasure Island will be available through Amazon.com on July 24th, both BluRay and DVD.

http://www.amazon.co...39102821&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co...39102821&sr=8-2

I received a notification from Amazon yesterday that the DVD was shipped out.

Jas Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

I watched the movie last night. Interesting but a stranger T.I. than what we're use to seeing, especially the characters. The movie even back-steps a bit to introduce Donald Sutherland in the role of Captain Flint. Ben Gunn is a hoot in body paint, much like Johnny Depp decked out with the cannibals.

I haven't gotten to the special features portion of the disc yet.

Also the DVD had a trailer for Neverland that had some quick pirate scenes in it. Looks like Bo Hoskins plays Mr. Smeed.

Jas. Hook ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While its not quite a "Pirate Movie" Mel Gibson was in a Naval Movie,...he was in "The Bounty" along with Anthony Hopkins. It was, to my recollection because its been a few years, a decent movie and had good acting in it. As for "Treasure Island" I plan on buying the DVD soon myself after seeing bits of it on SyFy. I am actually gathering some movies together for "preparation" or "mindset"movies for upcoming shows and plan on having Treasure Island [the SyFy and the Disney versions] on the list.