Treasure Island (2012 with Eddie Izzard)

Maraudin Sparky

Anyone else seen this? I don't often post.. ahem.. but thought I'd write a line or two..

I watched it the other day... and though some people seem to be having a poor opinion of it.. I thought it was great fun...

I especially liked some of the work songs being sung on board ship. A very different rendition of Lowlands to what I have heard before.

I thought the character of Trelawney was an interesting departure from normal. And couldn't help but wonder if it was a reflection of how bankers/ fund managers etc.. are being viewed since the economic downturns that have been affecting world economies?

Anyway.. was great to hear Silvers voice done with a VERY London accent.. Awesome.. made it much more real for me at least.

Hope someone else had a chance to see it too!

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.

William Blake (Proverbs of Hell , (1790))

Where away can this film be viewed/procured?

IMDB says it was a 2 part series on TV in the UK last month.... OK?

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Of course.. some 'enterprising' individuals may have uploaded this onto the net.. If you happen to download it. Ahem..

Anyway, yes, it was on in the UK. The Amazon route might be a good idea if you want something of better quality.

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.

William Blake (Proverbs of Hell , (1790))

• 1 month later...

So far, I'd say it's pretty awesome! Great cast, too!

GREAT cast is right mate. Did you watch via that link? Just trying to be a shipmate.

I did, and currently am! They're just leavin port for the Caribbean. Makes me yearn for my garb for the upcoming fall Ren Faire. Still need a good vest, baldric, pistol and blade....and pants....oh dear.

GREAT cast is right mate. Did you watch via that link? Just trying to be a shipmate.

I did, and currently am! They're just leavin port for the Caribbean. Makes me yearn for my garb for the upcoming fall Ren Faire. Still need a good vest, baldric, pistol and blade....and pants....oh dear.

I have the fever as well lad, our next feat is May 18-20 Columbus, Ohio...so I won't be waitin' TOO long...anywhere near ya? (and that IS quite the list mate ;) )

I have the fever as well lad, our next feat is May 18-20 Columbus, Ohio...so I won't be waitin' TOO long...anywhere near ya? (and that IS quite the list mate ;) )

Hahaha not at all. I'm in Massachusetts. Got King Richard's Faire in September/October, though.

Hahaha not at all. I'm in Massachusetts. Got King Richard's Faire in September/October, though.

hmmm...i've never been to massachusetts...(ponders the travel possibility) <_<

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw this movie on the U.S. SyFy channel for the first time, and I liked it. It altered a few characters and the plot slightly, but I think the changes worked for this approach (for those who have not seen it, I will not go into detail). Eddie Izzard was good in his role. I definitely got the the perspective of John Silver struggling to get a bunch of rowdy pirates to do what he planed. With over three hours of time, the movie fleshed out the Treasure Island story, including showing how Silver and Blind Pew got their physical trademarks. The movie by far was really good at showing more and telling less. It was interesteding to see the most racially diverse group of actors in these roles I've ever seen. Also, this version by far has the largest roles ever seen for women in a Treasure Island film (except "Pirates of Treasure Island' but let us not count that one). A kind of refreshing to see this adaptation of the old story. It was different, but not different enough to be off putting (like the 1999 that ended with everyone but Ben Gun, Long John Silver, and Jim Hawkins dead). The only things I didn't like were some of the smaller roles have so-so actors (at least thats the only negative thing that comes to mind right now).

As for the clothing and weaponry, the weaponry was slightly above average in quality and the clothing was...strange. First, the weaponry looked like real weaponry. The blades were reasonable lenghts and widths and had decent styles of hilts (at least from what I could see watching it only once). For the firearms, there were some typical late 18th-century pistols in there. Also some of arms stuck out to me as being form Loyalist Arms right away. Some of the others looked really and I couldn't identify the manufacturers. For the clothing: It's hard to describe it. It is obvious that the movie was influenced by Pirates of the Caribbean in the sense that they mix in this clothing from around the world (especially from the Indian Ocean and South-East Asia) with Atlantic world style clothing. They use these cloths that, some of them appear to be a mix of cloths that look like they are of a old historical style, but it's hard to determine at times. Some clothing is so strange in shape that it's hard to identify what it is. There is a lot of raggedness and drab colors/sun bleached colors (with bright colors mixed in on occasion) and dirt. The resulting look is like a misleading accurate look. Of course, there are some items that are just weird and wrong, like the kit Israel Hands wore that looked like a bunch of leather pads tied together. It's just strange. Pirates of the Caribbean does this misleading accurate look too. At least we are getting farther and farther away from that clean bright look of those technicolor films of the 1950s.

That's all I can say about the film with only being able to watch it once and watching without some way to pause or rewind to get a second look at things.

Them be some fierce and scary pirates! Eye loved how well they impressed that part of their characters in their roles. After that eye fell asleep from a bit of Grog and long day at a Faire so eye misses from the island bombardment on. Eye suppose eye will buy this on DVD when it becomes available.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Aye Gertie indeed we will have a movie to discuss at Portland! Eye just pre-ordered my copy..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I'm into the first thirty minutes of it now. It has it's good and bad points. It's so overstylized in places it gets a bit distracting. Black Dog looks like he's wearing a coat made out of an old cow hide. I like Pew, but he's too brief. He was always a personal favorite as a minor villain in the story.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Still hitting some interesting costumes distractions. I wouldn't even know what to call them. Charles Dickens meets Gormengast. Baron Munchausen meets Romani Revivalist. There's a faded, dusty, carnival quality to everything. Pomp and decoration to cover up bad acting, perhaps? Give me a plain clothed good actor over a dressed up extra and let the character come through. It's all frosting so far.

However, the lad playing Hawkins does a good job of playing someone younger than his years and I liked the Benbow Inn.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg