Skullley2!

Nigel

First of all - shameless self promotion here!

Check out my new illustration. The infamous "Skulley" returns in Skulley2!

https://pyracy.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=213

I have also changed this to be me new profile photo and avatar, replacing the PrateChix2 illustration *snif*.

The piece was a by product of a 3-hour "wipe-out" (charcoal technique) demonstration/challenge between meself and one o' me art studio mates.

The piece has since undergone considerable refinement. I shall post it here when it is finished.

Now, to the question -

I want to do a still-life painting with Skulley as the central focus, in a "Piratical" theme.

Any suggestions on what other items/props to include in the setup? I would like to keep it fairly small, so that Skulley is prominent (bless him), but will consider all suggestions.

C'mon, all me fellow pirates gotta have some good idears!

:ph34r:

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Ok how about a coil o rope... coins and a bottle o rum... maybe even a bit o sand(?)...

I was also thinkin that ye could utilise an alternative lighting source like a candle or lantern??

Hmm, tryin to picture it in me own mind and see how the interplay of textures and light works...

Oh well, you wanted some suggestions!

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.

William Blake (Proverbs of Hell , (1790))

How bout a rigging knife, fid or belaying pin. They were sailors.

Barbados Jack

**** When daylight fades, Darkness prevails****

** Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez **

" We sail within a vast sphere, Ever drifting in uncertainty, Driven from end to end"

- Pascal-

Awesome, Nige!! It reminds me of one of my favorite book covers... a drawing done by a chap named Richard Chopping for the British edition of a little known book called "Goldfinger" by a little known author named Fleming... Ian Fleming... I love his pic (a skull with gold coins in the eye sockets) but yours is better, mate!! My hat is off to your considerable skill!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

A bag o' spilled coins, a broadsheet from a pyrate trial, stuff like that. See ya soon, mate

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

agreed with all the other stuff, sounds like a first class picture, Nigel! But then you do such a great job! The skull is wonderful, nice fade and shading.. just enough detail to make it look real.

a spider crawling over it, since we are talking tropics.. gold tooth? parrot on top, bloody cutlass, compass, map with an X on it, small treasure chest, flask with lid off, crab scuttling around, sextant, cave wall behind the skull, foamy edge of sea coming up..

any more and your head may explode! LOL, later mate!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Wow, mates! These are all great suggestions. Thanks a ton.

Billy B, where might a bloke find a copy of a broadsheet, or at least the verbiage, from a pyrate tryal? I definitely want what's in my drawing to look authentic, of course.

Paisley, I am curious - why a hibiscus flower? ('member, I grew up in th' mountains....)

B Jack, what do a belaying pin look like? (all I can thing of is a bowling pin lol) and also, what kind of distinguishin characteristics does a rigging knife have?

Hm...spiders, flasks, maps, knives, coins, crrrabs, rope, these are all great suggestions!

I gots me a knife, but 'tis jest a chintsy lil' dagger with a skull and crossbones fer the handle. Too kitschy. Not the right thing fer this. Will have t' find a good one.

Anyone who has pics of good items, email em t'me, if'n ye please. I'd much appreciate it.

Already the drawing has undergone complete transformation. The entire surface has been reworked. It started out as a quick 3-hour challenge between myself and one o' my studio mates, to see what we could do with this 'wipe out' technique (which is a LOT of fun!) At the stern 'urging' of my mentor, it has turned into a full-fledged project. Little did I know what I was in for...of course, many things in life are that way. Glad I got a pic of it as it stood after the initial wipe-out session.

Rhumba, I like the sunglasses and shotglass, I will have to do that one at a later date :D

Thanks fer all yer suggestions, I will post updates as the piece progresses.

Now, where did I stash me gold coins? Hm... stumble stumble, crawl crawl...

:D

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

Oooh, I love the helmet!

That's really impressive Nigel, as an art lover I can't wait to see it when its done.

Aye, LadyL, that be th' arteest's curse...

"When the **** is it done???"

[We had to do an "intervention" with one o' me studio mates t' let her know she was done with a piece, after she had worked on it for a couple months.... She is quite 'attentive to detail'. Some would say "fanatical". lol]

Thank ye fer the compliments everyone. They are much appreciated.

I had another idear, lemme know what ye all thinks...

I thought of adding a couple of poker cards or tarot cards, going along with (possibly) the theme that this bloke's "luck had run out" or thathis time was up. I kinda like that theme.

Would either Tarot cards or Poker cards be completely unauthentic and out of place/time?

Any idears/feedback?

Thanks all!!

Nigel, there was a deck of cards with the pirates of the caribbean on them, I will try to find them again.

huzzah!! http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/liveacti..._site/main.html

look for downloads.. and i will send you the set.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg