As You May Have Noticed

Stynky Tudor

You know, we're sort of better off without them in a way. Post counting is not something that should really be encouraged. (Although i do love the little skull. That's why I keep getting my post count set backwards so he always appears under my avatar. I have no clue what my real post count is.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sure, first the post count, then our join date....

Actually I quite agree with ditching the post count. But definitely not the log in date.

If we had to have symbols for something, I'd almost prefer it be the join date. Although I'm sure that you'll agree with me that neither of these things necessarily indicate the quality of a poster. There are hundreds of times more people that joined in the (relatively) distant past that have since disappeared. (Maybe you need something that combines the two. I suggest we base the poster symbol - if we must have it - on a complex formula featuring differential calculus to determine the rate of posting compared to the join date.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

We could do that! We could set it up so that there is an optimal amount of posting per day that could figure into the calculation. We could weight the formula on various statistics. I like this idea!

We could do that! We could set it up so that there is an optimal amount of posting per day that could figure into the calculation. We could weight the formula on various statistics. I like this idea!

Stynky would probably be more than happy to let you set up the formula, so long as he didn't have to do anything other than plug it in.

Optimal post rate per day? That would have to be a parabolic curve - 'the frowny type' as it's called in the heady cloistered halls of the world of maths.

Mission_banner5.JPG

The more complex the equation, the better. (Although change in post rate could be due to a number of extenuating circumstances which do not include quality.)

With such an equation, people could go in and out of different levels of poster quality. Trying to remain at a certain level/poster symbol would be like trying to keep your gold frequent flier status from year-to-year.

Mission_banner5.JPG