Buckle shoes, the accurate ones

I believe Reconstructing History (http://store.reconst...hing/shoes.html) and Loyalist Arms (http://www.loyalista...andsandals.html) currently carry the two most accurate reproductions of GAoP shoes you're likely to find for under $150.

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Yikes. Good to know. Then probably RH.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Ah, get round-toed. Square-toed shoes look überdorky. IMHO, (In Mission's Humble Opinion) (Maybe not being so humble in this case.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Yes it is. Admiralty slop contract specs specifically call for round toed shoes.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

And don't tell Black Bart that. God knows what he'll do to you.

main.jpg

Or Howell Davis

HowellDavies.jpg

And then there's Blackbeard...

453px-General_History_of_the_Pyrates_-_Blackbeard_the_Pirate_%281725%29.jpg

Edward_Teach_Commonly_Call%27d_Black_Beard_%28bw%29.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Yeah, if that's what speaks to you, you should get them. (My silly opinion notwithstanding. ;) ) Sounds like you'll have to wait, though.

Mission_banner5.JPG

"I have a re-enacting shoe fetish.... so to speak. I really feel that shoes are the achilles heal of re-enacting because they are not flashy or sexy like a sword, coat, or pistol and are often overlooked by the re-enactor. I always seem to judge a living historian by the shoes that they wear, because it usually is an indicator (for me) as to that persons' attention to detail. ..." - Greg aka Gentleman of Fortune, Pyracy.com (2004)

gallery_19729_496_22222.jpg

(Above) A snapshot of footwear we're working on including round & square toes, smooth, rough & suede surfaces. Some in the process of conversion, other pieces awaiting the knife, dye, restitching & contact cement. While these were sitting in the kitchen awaiting transfer to a better light source for the photo, our youngest lubber asks mom... "What are were going to do with all these shoes?" Her response... "We're going to boil them and make soup."

Also in the pic is a copy of The Romance of the Shoe in honor of Gentleman of Fortune's shoe fetish comment. In actuality, the book provides very little in the way of GAOP reference material. Published in 1922, (some years before google) it includes info on latchet shoes and riding boots in the mid 1600's and a brief mention of early 18th century wear.. "Under the early Georges a square-toed, buckled shoe was worn by gentlemen. Of ladies' shoes of the period there are fine collections in the London, Victoria and Albert [PL 29] and Northampton Museums... " Interesting but obviously not the sort of detailed info one needs as a foundation for a period impression.

Haha, touche, Mission!

And yes, square toes were definitely not all that was worn in the era. Heck, the John King shoe from the Whydah wreck, which I've seen with my own eyes (and surely many others here have too, if they visited the Real Pirates exhibit on tour) didn't have a remotely square toe, as I recall. In fact, if I remember rightly, it was almost pointed.

However, I also personally prefer square-toed shoes for this era. I can understand why you might think they look a bit silly, but overall, I rather like the look. Mind you, the Loyalist Arms shoes have an almost ridiculously squared-off shape to them, making them resemble nothing so much as duck feet to my eye, but again it boils down to personal opinion and preference.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Oh, a lot of people seem to like the look. I can think of three very good reenactor friends who wear them and carry them off quite well.

For some reason I think they look sort of clunky (and thus dorky). Plus they seem flashy to me - which is something I typically eschew. I respect GOF tremendously, but I care damn all for shoes other than that they be as comfortable as possible and accurate to period. I certainly don't want people staring at my feet when they could be admiring Michael Bagley's excellent hand-stitch work on my waistcoat button-holes. (If they feel the need to stare at my kit at all, that is.)

Plus it's been so dreadfully slow around here, I thought I'd throw some opinions out there that might stir debate. :P

Mission_banner5.JPG

Good thoughts :D

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Like I said, if they speak to you, go with them. My opinions are just my opinions. (They should be worth to you just what you paid for them. ;) )

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...

i bought square toes, and looking at those pirate pics it seemed half of them look like square toes to me. and stranger was mad that i got shoes and he was wearing bucket boots!!!

in the time period i am sure that square and round toed shoes were made. in the 1800's cowboy boots were either round toed or square toed or called coffin toed. they were never pointy toed, a hollywood invention. so why would 1706 be any different??

I saw this discussioin nearly 20 years ago in the English Civil war groups. There was the claim that Cavaliers wore round toes and parliamentrians wore square toes- or was it the other way about??

Real research on existing documents and extant examples proved that, in an age where there were not 500 pairs avaialble at Walmart, you wore whichever shoes you could get that fit comfortably.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Here is a great resource for buckles ..not sure if they sell them anymore however the info is priceless

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/footwear.htm

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Here is a great resource for buckles ..not sure if they sell them anymore however the info is priceless

http://www.gentlemen...om/footwear.htm

Good link Mister O.

According to the thread below we'll be stalking Mister Bagley for said buckles unless some used ones turn up... or another source puts some together. (We'll probably be using some sort of modified, center-bar harness hardware until we can upgrade.)

https://pyracy.com/in...s-shoe-buckles/

Edited by landlubbersanonymous

Sorry for not responding to the Buckle inquiry via email... I don't check up with the pirate e-mail as often as I should, and 784 of the 831 messages are usually about how I can get a bigger "plank" I just end up deleted most of it.

I'm switching to a different e-mail service, and should be able to clear the decks more frequently.

Good luck with your shoe buckle hunt though...

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 1 month later...

Don't know much about this Dutch company but the wares look pretty tidy...

1555 tot 1648... http://www.gelderser...derse_roos.html

1648 tot 1795... http://www.gelderser...derse_roos.html

Perhaps they can send us some promo samples to test the American market? :D

Edited by landlubbersanonymous

Eye just contacted that Dutch web site..for the buckle shoes..those look grand!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."