A newcomer of sorts, but seeking some info

Captain Edward Teague

I am soon to be involved with some mock combat and playacting involving assorted types of weaponry. Fortunately we have a cannon expert that takes care of all that sort, although that looks enjoyable as well, perhaps someday I will venture there as well.

I have already ordered a combat ready replica sword from the well known Baltimore Knife Masters, plus arranged instruction from a Swordmaster to address that part and now am looking into a functional pistol with which the majority of the time will only be used for shooting "blanks." At least until some possible time in the future when I attend a real re-enactment gathering, then maybe more. (Do forgive, as I am obviously still far from wet behind the ears around here as to all things )

I have not seen or have overlooked any sort of resource list of weaponry for sale by vendors or otherwise most here manufacture their own. Or of course possibly that is not a legally allowable thing to which I apologize and should this thread be removed from such, I understand.

But I digress. I am seeking a functional pistol which will both NOT break the bank due to its limited usage, but NOR do I wish something that blows up in my face. Makes it hard to drink rum when ones cheeks are as swiss cheese as it were. My only experience with period weaponry is assembling a .69 caliber flintlock as a young lad and I had quite some teaching by the shop owner and had quite a bit of fun with that. But that was eons ago.

However in my defense I state that I am a former Marine M.P (The MP is former, the Marine is for life ) with some detailed experience in modern arms and their safety and also have had experience in staged combat with such in blanks form and do know the wadding ( and sparks ) can be just as dangerous as the real thing for one. I also possess a CCW permit and have for many years.

So, I was thinking for a little more reliability for staged events, perhaps a percussion cap would serve better than a flintlock. Perhaps not as period, but still...

But pretty much the only item I have come up with, other than overseas selections at triple the price is this:

http://www.cabelas.c...%3Bcat104503680

Nor do I know the shipping regulations on ordering from overseas either. So I place myself in your capable hands, gentlemen ( of course I use that term loosely. :P ) School thah new swab with some tips, suggestions or if any one is willing to construct such a beast. :D

Keep to the code, Mates...

There are many places to find working flintlocks......Check in the The Thieves Market section in the Pub under the venders index thread.

If you are looking for used ones there is Gunbrokers.com, auctionarms.com, Gunsamerica.com or in the frontierfolk.net site inder trade goods.

Since you have allready had experiance building a kit try http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/index.html.....they have some really nice kits.

Hope this helps some.

Pegleg

Ahoy Cap'n Teague -

Seek ye out a copy of Flintlocks 101 Reprint, some good advice there for a few shillings.

See the topic by that title in our own Master Gunner's - Cascabel's Lock Stock & Barrel.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

There are several vendors selling weapons. Typically you get what you pay for. A gun built in India can be a cheap way to get a functional flintlock, there are many vendors out there selling these guns and while it may be sold to you as a working gun I would not call it reliable. For example I had a nice enough French Dragoon that would shoot, by the time I was finished working on it to make it reliable I had retuned both springs, welded onto the toe of the frizzen, rehardened the frizzen, shimmed it up to improve the fit. At the last event she performed perfctly. Not a single misfire and there was no need to wipe/clean anything between shots.

id.jpg

And some most excellent advice, my thanks. :D

Other than that the muzzleloaders site seems to not be there anymore, darnit. So, the flints are more reliable these days? I remember the one I had way back when was

Click........click......click....fire.....load....click....click.... :wacko:

Which of course was why I thought a cap might be a better way to go.

A properly tuned flintlock is very reliable. When I tune one I don't pass it off as a reliable gun until it has passed 20 pan flashes with 2 or less clicks (91% reliable) during this test of mine if I have to clean away the residue or reprime it fails. With a little work most India guns will get close to passing making them much more reliable. Certain pieces have poor geometry and must be cut and welded before they will be as reliable. Most flintlocks can be made to be reliable it is just a matter of how much work must be done to them. I have ony come across 1 lock that passed my test unmodified and that was an original.

id.jpg

I imagine an original would always be best. :D Well, I erred on the side of caution and bought a percussion cap to at least get started with. (Although I had to tear myself away from shopping around, if this goes off well, I just may be hooked ) and as I said, it will be mainly for stage, not competition. So I went with this kentucky model which I figure I can pirate up and mundanes will never know the difference for stage play. Of course I would get something else for anything HA related. ;)

Seems to have gotten good reviews both on assembly and on accuracy and pirate cheap. :P Manufactured in Spain, I hope this is a good thing.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_162_194&products_id=3450

Well, as an update. I received the order yesterday. Which was lightning fast, as it was not scheduled until this next tuesday for delivery.

A NOOBS review:

Upon unpacking and checking the parts list, all was there. And all seemed to be of good quality and well cut to very close specs. Most parts needed just a bit of sanding to fit tightly and well. Level 1 skill, which it was definitely easy for someone who has not put a kit together in decades. Super strong pull spring with a good smack on the nipple. It also lined up perfectly to strike the nipple dead center without any alignment.

The Bad ( and I read all the reviews first so I knew what I was in for )

The trigger guard was way off. But with simple tools and hand pressure I made it fit just fine. Tougher was the end cap under the barrel, the holes were not aligned at all and the wood was actually around an 1/8" or slightly more too long. Again with meager tools, ( 6 inch hacksaw and a dremel ) I cut the extra off and redrilled the holes.

Only casualty was one brass screw that I put in the worng place and twisted it off. But a drill bit boring later, I pushed it out with the right screw and other than a hardware store trip later for a replacement screw needed for the ramrod holder sleeve, it was all dry assembled. I didn't like the smoooooth pretty finish on the barrel, so I mussed her up full length with some roughage from a stone on the dremel and she is ready for stain and bluing.

Approximate time spent, around 3 hrs. I was not in a hurry and only a small handful of tools. (Crescent wrench to hold one end of the trigger guard while I bent it by hand to fit, two small straight slot screwdrivers, 6 inch hacksaw, Dremel )

Anyone with proper equipment and more experience than I could probably do it in less than an hour. I was pretty happy with the overall ease to assemble. But for absolute guidance I will be taking it to a local re-enactment crews weaponmaster for final approval and training in all facets of usage and safety.

Next query....the stock is beechwood and of course the barrel....suggestions on stain colors and a proper color of bluing? B)

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/

They have a lot of options but be warned they are made in India. My current opinion is that it is hit or miss on India guns. I have two. One which is decent and the other witch is horrid. The horrid one misfires all the time. My other two have been made by smiths and fire like gems. Swab makes a mean gun if you let him.

smythesig-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to weigh in on the earlier original post on getting a firearm. I sorter wish the pirate community would stay away from the percussion caps. Yep, they ARE more reliable, but in my opinion, they don't fit well with flintlocks, aside from the historical inaccuracy. They have a very different sound from a flintlock, which makes me think something may be amiss when I hear one at a big festival. It isn't a very big thing, but the battle officers are listening for wot don't sound right, and caps distract.

I appreciate the input. :D

I hope I made it clear that this one will not be used for any sort of historically accurate gathering whatsoever. Nor do I wish to encourage anyone to use anything that would not be period correct at such a gathering. I make that clear now if I did not. When I said maybe more at that type of gathering, I meant that I would purchase and use something period correct. This one is simply for Cast and crew performances during Renfaires and Pirate Festivals as a Pirate of the Caribbean impersonator. ^_^