Turn-off cannon barrel pistols in the late 17th Century

WeaponsCollector

While perusing pyracy.com I have seen frequent discussions on the appropriateness of turn-off cannon barrel pistols (aka Queen Anne Style) when reenacting. This is especially the case for events the predate Queen Anne's reign (1702-1714).

When I started researching early breach loaders it was surprising to find out how far back they go. According to the Oxford Companion to Military History, Leonardo da Vinci illustrated a hackbutt (a type of early, heavy matchlock musket) with an unscrewing, or ‘turn-off’ breech in his Codex Atlanticus of c.1500-10.

In 1547 an inventory was made of the weapons owned by King Henry VIII after his death. Of the thirty -three guns described, ten were breach loaders (see Great British Gunmakers 1540-1740).

I own several examples of turn-off barrel pistols from the late 17th century. For example this small rifled pocket pistol was made by Henry Ellis in Doncaster England around 1690.

111-0020a_small.jpg

And this pair by Thomas Green date from around 1700.

111-0040a_small.jpg

You will note that like a true Queen Anne, in both of these examples the lock is incorporated into the breach. However the frizzen spring is not in the form of an inverted “V”. The pistols by Thomas Green have ball and cheek style butt plates with long side spurs. These resemble the butt plates of holster pistols. The pistol by Ellis shows more of a progression toward what will become the classic Queen Anne style.

Edited by WeaponsCollector

I have always admired the grace of turn-off pistols, especially those styled as those Green pistols are. I shall have to build a pair one day.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...