Rogue's Gallery

Anyone ever listened to the "Rogue's Gallery"? some of the songs/shaties are pretty good in my opinion, others not so much but a good listen if you're into nautical songs!

Edited by baltimoredockhand

"May ye be dead and in heaven full an hour before the Devil know's yer dead!"

~Bones

I think most fall into the "cats in a bag" category, unfortunately. It was a grand experiment, but sadly it wasn't what a lot of people (myself included) were hoping it would be. That being said, I still have quite a few of the songs from said album on my iPod. Several really are excellent, and even some of the kinda' awful ones (like who decided John C. Reilly could sing?) are totally awesome simply BECAUSE they're kinda' awful - and are therefore very authentic sounding.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Heh... not sure if I should be proud or ashamed...

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I would say that's just about the right philosophy!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I was given a Rouges Gallery CD, otherwise would not have wasted any coin on it. There are maybe five decent cuts out of around thirty or so. If you chance to read the producers' commentary on the sleeve, you will see that he readily confesses to putting the project off until the last minute and doing a half-arse rush job to get it in by the deadline. The poor quality of the finished product is testimony to the producers' ineptness and lackluster attitude towards his job. The only one that I really like is the rendition of "g'Down yer Blood-Red Roses" with Sting (of The Police fame). Unless it doesn't cost you anything, you won't miss anything if you steer clear of it altogether. That is my not-at-all-humble but straight out opinion.

Bo

Hey, we can't all be Michael Bolton.

QFT :lol:

And while Bo is probably right, all told, I rather like John C. Reilly's rendition of "Fathom the Bowl" (even though, as previously stated, the man has an atrocious singing voice). And Eliza Carthy's "Rolling Sailor" is quite a decent song. "Hog-Eye Man," "One Spring Morning," "Turkish Revelry," and the purely instrumental take on "Shenandoah" are all fairly palatable as well. Not outstanding perhaps, but palatable. Sting's other song on the album, "Shallow Brown," is quite haunting, and the odd sort of New Orleans blues/rock take on "High Barbary" is, if nothing else, very innovative.

But beyond that... yeah... pretty awful stuff.

Edited by Captain McCool

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 1 year later...

Tis' a jolly good album! Patchy as the hull o' a worm eaten ship but there be some jolly good songs on there. Rolling Sea by Eliza Carthy be a winner, High Barbary by Joseph Arthur and Fire Down Below by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds give you that evil pirate captain angle, Baltimore Whores and Good Ship Venus be all good family fun. Steer clear of Drunken Sailor and anything by Baby Gramps but!

For any of ye that appreciated this album there's a sequel called Son Of Rogues Gallery coming out the end of this month (February)

Several really are excellent, and even some of the kinda' awful ones (like who decided John C. Reilly could sing?) are totally awesome simply BECAUSE they're kinda' awful - and are therefore very authentic sounding.

Bad songs are authentic? Sorry, I'd disagree. You get a ship full of sailors, there are likely a few that have very good voices (maybe not professionally trained, but some people do have natural talent). Often they were the ones singing, or at least leading the shanties. I hate to use 'authenticity' to excuse poor performances. However, there are a couple of gems on the album, but for the money I'd buy something else.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I quite like the John C. Reilly songs and his voice be quite fine to my ears, My Son John is definately a favourite from the album. I suppose the nature of so many artists on one album is different people will be appreciating the timbre of their voices or not and you've got to take the songs you like from it. with a few adjustments to your playlist or liberal use of the skip function its definately a good buy. that be said I dare any of ya to appreciate Bully In The Alley but! haha

• 3 weeks later...