Welcome aboard!

William Brand

Hello! I suppose this is the bit where I introduce myself. I'm Amira (that's the work name, I won't tell you the real one because this is the internet and there are weird people on the internet.) I fell in love with piracy over 3 years ago and started putting together garb just for fun. Now my garb has gotten to the "are you supposed to be in an institution?" looks in the supermarket. I am really interested in doing some reenacting, but "normal" theatre has been getting in the way. I've done a couple of educational piratey things with my fencing instructor, but not much else. And that's classical fencing, mind you, not sport. I can use a cutlass properly, as well as a few other weapons. I'm super excited to have found a group of fellow pirates and am very grateful that, after 3 years, the internet led me here!

"“If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.” ~Hunter S. Thompson

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what's so strange with the lads stocking up with a few six-packs of Smithwick's Ale? ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Jas,

Totally missed your reply several weeks ago. Thanks for the download. I know what you mean though--I live in Minnesota, and we had snow in May. It makes me want to go fetal and play Port Royale 2 for the music and scenery, just to pretend it is lovely outside.

Oz

Ozgur K. Sahin

Independent Author of

The Wrath of Brotherhood

Book 1 of the Brethren of the Spanish Main series.

http://www.ozgurksahin.com/

I bloody love you guys already! Awesome picture!

"“If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.” ~Hunter S. Thompson

Jas,

Totally missed your reply several weeks ago. Thanks for the download. I know what you mean though--I live in Minnesota, and we had snow in May. It makes me want to go fetal and play Port Royale 2 for the music and scenery, just to pretend it is lovely outside.

Oz

Oz -

I just got an opportunity to start the book last night. So far so good! ;)

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

Jas,

Oz

Oz -

I just got an opportunity to start the book last night. So far so good! ;)

Jas. Hook

Ozgur K. Sahin

Independent Author of

The Wrath of Brotherhood

Book 1 of the Brethren of the Spanish Main series.

http://www.ozgurksahin.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy! Great site!! I only occasionally do the "pirate thing", but I do portray a 1750's seaman/boatman. My F & I War ranger unit has a period-correct sailing dory, armed with a brass swivel. I'm the gunner:

img014_zpsa828dfa6.jpg

Here's my "office":

downsized_0720131427_zps55c6c02b.jpg downsized_0720131426_zps0b3ef9dc.jpg

As for myself, I'm a retired Federal employee (Army and Postal Service) residing in Upstate New York.

Cheers!

Carpie

"You will be a brother to pirates and corsairs...."

Aye, Welcome Aboard Mate!

You guys look great. You have tell us a bit more about what you do and when you do it.

We portray one of the provincial ranger companies that served under Robert Rogers during the French & Indian War (Seven Years' War) at events in the north east, most of which are held at actual historic sites: Ticonderoga, Crown Point, Rogers' Island, Ft William Henry, etc. Whenever there's a river or lake nearby, we usually bring our boat, using it to ferry and land troops, or just sail around and bang away at other vessels. Loads of fun! We do look rather "piratical" when in our nautical garb - and by that I mean we look like working seamen, not "Hollywoodish" or fantasy land. However, if there's a regional pirate festival to attend, we "Yo Ho Ho!" with the best of 'em...!

(Anybody in New England? BIG F&I War event at Fort #4, Charlestown, NH, this-coming weekend: 7-8 June)

Carpie

That boat would have fit right in at Blackbeard's Festival in Hampton, VA. ;)

There's also a festival in Olcott on Lake Ontario.

That boat would have fit right in at Blackbeard's Festival in Hampton, VA. ;)

There's also a festival in Olcott on Lake Ontario.

What's the date of the Olcott pirate fest? We go there every Sept for the big Celtic festival....

Carpie

Ye Pirate Brotherhood has it on their 2014 events list as July 11 - 13.

• 3 months later...

Ahoy, all hands before The Mast! Permission to board!

I am Steel Scimitar. I am a student of Archaeology, Paleontology, Anthropology, and Astrophysics amoung many other things. I hear tell a stroy almost 20 years ago. Last week I have proven the story to be true through hard work, research, and a weather eye, it is a story about Captain Blackbeard and his crew. It appears that I have finally been approved by the Admin to write. So I'll write the story tomorrow on it's own thread after me head is cleared from Vodka. As for now I can finally celebrate my discovery and will continue to do so until the Vodka is gone!

I'll be writing in hopes of finding more information. What I have is the virbal story handed down to me, I have the answer, but I lack the historical writing. I lack the thing to point at and site so that I may say... "I have the answer". I come to ye in hopes of finding the question, be it a documentary or something written, something to cross check.

I thank the Admin for ye approval!

Edited by Steel Scimitar

"Always remember your errors as well as your victories." ~Captain Edward Blackbeard Teach~

poptropica-blackbeard-flag.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well the last thing I want upon arriving somewhere new is to seem unfriendly, so hello!

I haven't got much of interest to say, but the reason I'm here is because things have a way of snowballing.

A little while back, I got bored and decided to draw a picture of a pirate. But then I had to go look up

some reference pictures for clothing. ...And then I got distracted, and started reading everything pirate-related

I could get my hands on. And then I started trying recipes. And now here I am hoarding links and books, and

gradually trying to put together a semi-accurate pirate costume for Halloween.

(Or whatever possible excuse I can find to wear it.)

...Now that I think of it, I never did finish that drawing. Hahaha.

Oh, and of course, a very large factor in my decision to make an account is that I've found many things on this

site that were really interesting and helpful, and felt it was about time I said thanks. So thank you!

Welcome aboard Jabez!

Glad to see that you are pursuing a more historically accurate pirate than what most folks envision as pirate via pop culture or hollywood.

Jas. Hook ;)

• 1 month later...

I thank the Admin for ye approval!

Welcome aboard!

Oh, and of course, a very large factor in my decision to make an account is that I've found many things on this

site that were really interesting and helpful, and felt it was about time I said thanks. So thank you!

It's always nice to meet one of the victims that got tangled in the net of the hobby. I mean...welcome aboard!

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Thanks to y'all for allowing me passage. I belong to a group called Belegarth, a Medieval/Fantasy fighting game, and am captain of one of a handful of pirate crews operating in the game (so far as I know we're the largest). Our (nonexistent) ship is The Cerberus and we operate out of Chicago. The name's Calico simply because, when I first joined, I took too long picking a character name and someone essentially said "Calico...that's a pirate name and you're a pirate" and it stuck. Our crew holds all kinds from the very historically based (our surgeon, Daimen, who would like to thank Mission for giving her a new bit of history to obsess over) to the historically inspired (Myself. I like to go a bit Hollywood, but using as much in the way of period correct bits as possible) to the outright goofy Hollywood types. Our main business at Belegarth events is not to be proficient fighters, but to sing at other camps in exchange for liquor.

I've been perusing your forum for some time now and found myself down the rabbit hole, as it were. You all seem a great fun lot and I thought it polite to quit lurking in the shadows and actually step through the doors.