Welcome aboard!

William Brand

Ahoay James!

Recommend reading "The Republic of Pirates" by Colin Woodard next. Great book, and "IMHO" is even more engaging than Cordingly's book, which is an excellent book itself. And I have to say, as far as fiction goes, "The Price of Freedom", the novel "prequel" to the POTC movies, is an excellent read itself - it's mostly historical fiction until the end part where it has to be tied back in to the movie fantasy bit, which is a bit much for me, but on the whole the book is a very worth it.

And as some of the other Pub mates comment in other threads, the 1990's film version of "Treasure Island" with Charleton Heston is great - of course it's the fictional story by Stevenson, and bit later than the actual "GAOP", but the gear they use, the behaviours, all the rest of their kit and so on, are all spot-on.

yours, aye-

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Mister James Ketchum be 'ooked goodly indeed. Welcome aboard Matey!

Pull ye up a chair and welcome to the Pub.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Well it long past a fair time to introduce myself. I've been lurking around the dark shadowy corners of the Pub here for far too long so here it goes. I be SeaDogDan, Just another computer weenie with aspirations and dreams(delusions) of adventure on the high seas... Many of my friends over the years have been involved in historical reenactment, mostly colonial as I hale from the NJ colony and the history runs pretty deep here in the period. It never really interested me. I love the history, don't get me wrong, but I'm afraid I don't aspire to be cannon fodder... It's a Pirate's life for me. Master of my own destiny as it were with my fate in my hands. Being entirely new to the concept I've not worked out all the details to my persona. Nor have I signed the articles with any crew. I have however started putting together My GAOP kit. The information and discussions are filled with wonderfully detailed information. It's been a great resource and I am in you debt for the treasures contained within.

My interests and studies over the past few years have included but are not limited to:

Period ships and Shipbuilding

Navigation and Period Seamanship

Language

Sailor craft, knot work and carving

Blade Craft

Black Powder

RUM

I think I might be lookin fer a crew but fancy a freebooters life as well as that of say a smuggler of plundered goods... I think at this point I'm looking to take the next step.

Fair Sailing brothers and sisters...

SDD

i would love to go to an event, that would be a dream come true, but i dont have the money or means to travel very far. i live in madison wi. so if you know of any near there that would be great

I believe the Port Washington Pirate Festival is near your neck of the woods.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Ahoy SDD! Welcome aboard.

There'd be a bunch o' piratical stuff happ'n in Joisey.

Check out the Valhalla Pirates web page for events.

Upcoming on 10/6 is Toms River Piratefest, last month was Cold Spring Village and last week was Barnegat.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy! My name is Shealey. I grew up in Tampa, Florida; where I developed my love for pirates at our annual pirate invasion and parade, Gasparilla. I now am in school for marketing, and my love and interest for pirates has followed me here, as I now have internships with two small companies located in tampa, that focus on Pirates, Pirate History, and Gasparilla products.

I look fore t' seein' all of t' piracy events and learn some more about me beloved pirates!

Shealey is a wonderfully cool name! Since you're down there, look into the Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion coming up in late November. It's one of the best Florida Pirate events I can think of and registration starts in a few days.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Misson is absolutly right, 'tis the Fort Tayor Pyrate Invasion for you! And since the good surgeon forgot to mention it, it is held in Key West. The web page is: http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/index.html and there is a Facebook page as well. Welcome aboard!

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am going to look into the Fort Pyrate Invasion and see if there is anyway I can make it! If you are interested in the company I am working with here are the links to the facebook pages: https://www.facebook.com/#!/CoolPirateStuff?fref=ts and https://www.facebook.com/#!/GasparsGoldPC?fref=ts !

I went to the FTPI once, the year before I had babies*. It was wonderful, and I look forward to going again someday. Maybe with my babies.

*Okay, yeah, my wife had the babies.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Also, I am Matt, and I smell like a pirate.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Coastie, and I'm a pyrate. Of course, anyone who's been here for a few years knows that already, but I've been on shore leave for quite a while, so I figured that I should re-introduce myself and give some updates.

I'm no longer part of the King's Revenue Service, but instead have landed in Alaska and have settled down...sort of. I now work for a sort of modern version of the EAC, called AMHS. It's by either these boats or Alaska Airlines that you make it in or out of southeast or southwest Alaska. I married my wench (the same one that many of you in the greater CT area might remember), and just a couple months ago she gave birth to our first son, Alexander. Not many pirate events in the far north, but I have been cruising for prizes on my own 30' cutter, Sanctioned Mistress. I still love nautical history, though the focus has changed a little to the fur trade and Russia's exploration (everything is named Stellar ___ here!). Recently my wife and I toured the convict settlements down under and I coerced her to wandering the docksides in the the port towns we visited. I was lucky to see a good number of tall ships down that way, and with any technological luck, will post some of those photos in the coming weeks. I look forward to hearing from and/or about many of the good friends that I have missed in the last few years while real life was catching up to me.

Arrrgh!

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Coastie -

Welcome home and congratulations to your new crewmember young Alexander.

Jas. Hook ;)

I have to admit that I'm a little jealous of Alex. There are lots of pirate onesies out there and with family and friends buying almost every one they can find, he gets to wear pirate themed clothing much more than I do!

Arrrgh!

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well.....I've wandered back.......more like stumbled, crawled, how ever you want to put it. Been hanging out on that damn FB and with recent issues with them, I've decided to come home.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Coastie, Animal, You're Always Welcome Back!

I think it's a similar story for a lot of us. . . schizophrenic facebook ramblings or real life sometimes pull our attentions else where. But you'll always have a home and community here.