Welcome aboard!

William Brand

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy, The names Daniel I just signed on after seeing an article in the Mutiny Magazine. I'm a pirate enthusiast and ship in bottle builder. I live in Denver Colorado and while the sea is a thousand some odd miles away I find it is also as close as the inside of a bottle. My hopes is to learn more about the fascinating way of pirate life and contribute what I can as well. Thanks for having me aboard.

It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow

www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com

Welcome aboard, Mister Siemens! It's good to see another pirate in the high Rockies. We are a landlocked lot.

Thank you William. Aye that we are. Tis hard to find another pirate in these parts as well. Found me a few ship wrights but ne'r a pirate among em. Good to know I'm alone on the high elevation sea's.

It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow

www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com

I can't believe I only just came across this place yesterday!

My name is Dominica, I'm born Australian, and inherited US citizenship through my parents. Given how much a travel and look for adventure, it's probably no surprise I ended up developing an interest in pirates. Presently I live in Malaysia.

I've been working on a novel with pirates for the last couple of years, though as it started out as a screenplay where I was meant to play the pirate character, that meant I ended up collecting costume items and doing photo shoots as her in various places. This includes Washington, DC in the US (she's a time-traveller) -- on International Talk Like a Pirate Day back in 2011, and Malacca (for the cannons) and Kuantan (for the beach) in Malaysia. If anyone's interested in the photos, you can find them on my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/JaclynRousseau

I've also only recently learned that such things as pirate festivals exist, so I'm thinking I should visit some at some point.

Ahoy, The names Daniel I just signed on after seeing an article in the Mutiny Magazine. I'm a pirate enthusiast and ship in bottle builder. I live in Denver Colorado and while the sea is a thousand some odd miles away I find it is also as close as the inside of a bottle. My hopes is to learn more about the fascinating way of pirate life and contribute what I can as well. Thanks for having me aboard.

Ahoy there and Welcome yarself aboard Daniel!

So glad you found us and that Mutiny Magazine helped you get here.

I can't believe I only just came across this place yesterday!

My name is Dominica, I'm born Australian, and inherited US citizenship through my parents. Given how much a travel and look for adventure, it's probably no surprise I ended up developing an interest in pirates. Presently I live in Malaysia.

I've been working on a novel with pirates for the last couple of years, though as it started out as a screenplay where I was meant to play the pirate character, that meant I ended up collecting costume items and doing photo shoots as her in various places. This includes Washington, DC in the US (she's a time-traveller) -- on International Talk Like a Pirate Day back in 2011, and Malacca (for the cannons) and Kuantan (for the beach) in Malaysia. If anyone's interested in the photos, you can find them on my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/JaclynRousseau

I've also only recently learned that such things as pirate festivals exist, so I'm thinking I should visit some at some point.

Welcome Mistress Dominica - glad to have ya aboard!

If you're wanting to attend some Pyrate festivals, may I suggest a visit to our Events Section, Raids, Boarding Parties & Pyrate Events. It's a complete organizational disaster area that needs to be updated and a good tidy. But if you have the patience and don't mind wading through the mess, you might be able to find something of interest.

And by chance if your calendar is free near beginning of December, there's the Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion in Key West, Florida – the lot of us that manage to go seem to have a good time.

• 2 months later...

Hi Maties,

New to the pyracy group and would like to introduce myself.

I am Craig Bachler aka "The Gov". Currently, I live in Tampa Bay, but a New Englander by birth. We (my family) and I have been active in krewe life since moving here in 2002. We are members of a local krewe of almost 300 members that is one of the few true black powder re-enacting groups in Florida. Generally, we can be found at festivals across the South throughout the year.

Safe Sailing,

The Gov

• 5 months later...

Ahoy there. I've signed on as crew and I'm looking for a beam to hang me hammock. I'm an ex-navy Vietnam vet (That's salty dog to you, matey) and fiction author. I got into the pyrate gig because I work for a school district and often read to schoolchildren in costume (imagine Green Eggs and Ham with lots of "arrghs".) I'll be lurkin' about to learn the ropes of this vessel, so to speak.

JohnB

Edited by MonkeyJohn

I lives on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp in Chesapeake, VA. and spends my shore leave time on Ocracoke Island, N.C. every summer, where I pretend to rake the clam beds in Teach's Hole, dredging for ... well, none of your business what I'm looking for, is it, matey?

Edited by MonkeyJohn

clam1 [klam] Show IPA noun, verb, clammed, clam·ming. noun
1. any of various bivalve mollusks, especially certain edible species. Compare quahog, soft-shell clam.
2. Informal. a secretive or silent person.
4. Slang. a dollar or the sum of a dollar: I only made 60 clams a week.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Monkey John -

Welcome aboard Sir!

Big doings on Ocracoke coming up in two weeks.

Google- OcracokePirate Jamboree

Jas. Hook ;)

Edited by Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Monkey John -

Welcome aboard Sir!

Big doings on Ocracoke coming up in two weeks.

Google- OcracokePirate Jamboree

Jas. Hook ;)

I've decided not to attend the Ocracoke event, since it's going to be 4 professional pirate crews and all staged events from what I've gathered. I don't know if free-lance pirates will be welcome. (Not to mention that I'm not on good terms with the Hyde County Sherrif's Dept., for reasons I won't mention here. Suffice it to say they don't appreciate it when you turn North Carolina law against them.) I'm also amazed that they're going to have a "battle" in the harbor with black powder cannon, since they had a major firework accident on the island 4 years ago and fireworks are strictly forbidden.

I attended "Pirates Pack the Park" a couple of weeks ago at the Maritime Museum in Newport News and was mostly disappointed. It was an effort to break the Guinness Record for most pirates in one place at the same time. They originally said you had to have a reasonable pirate outfit, but in the last week they changed the rules. If you wore a t-shirt, rolled up pants and a patch, you were considered a pirate. Even so, they fell far short of the record.

• 4 weeks later...

Ahoy! I'm an avid costumer and aspiring special fx artist. I've dressed as many characters in the past, but this has been my first foray into pirate costuming. I've always loved the romanticized ways these criminals of the high seas have been portrayed in film and literature. Movies like Treasure Island and Peter Pan (I always rooted for Captain Hook) shaped my imagination and were some of my favorites in my youth. I plan to share images of my costume, and learn some tips to improve it along the way. So a rousing hello to all you buccaneers out there!!!

Edited by Captain Tuerie

IMG_20131004_182146_zps9f7384a0.jpg

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

Welcome aboard Cap'n Tuerie. Yes, images are necessary as it were snowing this AM. The crew needs images to stir the imagination.

Monkey John - If ye wore an eyepatch would the High Sherrif of Hyde recognize ye?

Being a free-lance freebooter me self there always seems to be a welcome regardless. I just try to stay out of the way during the staged events and cheer on the loosing crew.

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

• 4 months later...

Ahoy mateys,

I'm a newly published author of a historical pirate novel, The Wrath of Brotherhood (Book 1 in the Brethren of the Spanish Main series). I thought this would be a good place to participate in the community--an awful lot of pirate sites are defunct! I suppose they were all hanged.

If you want to check out my book, it is in eBook format only, and can be found on Amazon, Kobo, Nook, and iTunes (here is the Amazon link if you want to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Wrath-Brotherhood-Brethren-Spanish-Main-ebook/dp/B00HMRF5J0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395936189&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Wrath+of+Brotherhood).

I swear I'm not here to shamelessly self-promote though, so I'll stop now. :) I look forward to participating in discussions here and helping to keep piracy alive.

Cheers

Ozgur K. Sahin

Ozgur K. Sahin

Independent Author of

The Wrath of Brotherhood

Book 1 of the Brethren of the Spanish Main series.

http://www.ozgurksahin.com/

Oz -

Suffering from Spring fever so I shamelessly accepted ye self-promotional idea of downloading The Wrath of Brotherhood onto me KindleFire.

Jas. Hook ;)

If a fiction author you be, you'll either find yourself camaraderie or at odds with The Skull & Quill Society, while authors of a more academic persuasion can be found loitering in the shadows of Captain Twill. All be considered dangerous waters, but no mater the case, participate and have yourself a good time.

As abrasive (or abusive) as some of us may be, (not that I name names - Duchess), our bark is often worse than our bite and with a little bit of humor and the help of a few (full) pints, any man jack can be pleasant enough company when need be.

Welcome aboard Ladd.