A question on coats

James Smythe

I have a quick question on coats. I am currently looking into upgrading from my costume coat to a more PC coat. Right now I am thinking of straying from the Long Coat and possibly picking up a sailor's jacket instead. I have been looking into possibly a Slops Contract style. My main question has to do with the overall length of the coat.

Right now I have a long vest and I was wondering if the Sailors jacket would be at least as long as the vest. I am not to sure how it would look if the Jacket were a good deal shorter than the front of the vest. There is a picture of my current long vest on 117 of the garb thread for reference. Also there is a picture of Bo in what looks like a long vest and a sailor jacket. If Bo could confirm it, that would be helpful as I really like the look of the combination of Jacket and vest he is wearing.

Thanks for any help.

smythesig-2.jpg

Jim -

Have a look at the sleeved westcoat on J.P. Soule's web site.

It might fit your needs. If interested contact Amanda, I'm sure she can work with you on length.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I am writing from memory here, so I could have missed something sailor specific in the art work. Generally, coats are either approximately the same length or longer than waistcoats. If the pic of Bo you are referencing is in the series of three below yours, they are close to the same length, though the waistcoat looks a tad shorter to me, which would be appropriate. Best to compare the length you want with period art work depicting sailors. (look for threads including artwork). Enjoy the journey that is research!

I have a quick question on coats. I am currently looking into upgrading from my costume coat to a more PC coat. Right now I am thinking of straying from the Long Coat and possibly picking up a sailor's jacket instead. I have been looking into possibly a Slops Contract style. My main question has to do with the overall length of the coat.

Right now I have a long vest and I was wondering if the Sailors jacket would be at least as long as the vest. I am not to sure how it would look if the Jacket were a good deal shorter than the front of the vest. There is a picture of my current long vest on 117 of the garb thread for reference. Also there is a picture of Bo in what looks like a long vest and a sailor jacket. If Bo could confirm it, that would be helpful as I really like the look of the combination of Jacket and vest he is wearing.

Thanks for any help.

There is great photo here: http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/sailorskit.htm of Foxe in his Slops Contract kit. You could go a little longer on the weskit and a little shorter on the coat IMHO. Although, the Slops Contract clothing was made in general sizes, somewhat like the S, M, L of to-day.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

SC1.jpg

I believe that's the picture in question.

The lengths of both jacket and waistcoat are probably about right. For the 1706 Slop Contract specs there's no information about lengths or cut, so when I was making this set I extrapolated information from the 1730s specs. The garments described in the 1730s specs are basically the same as those in the 1706 set, with only minor differences in the detail, and the 1730s specs are the earliest to give measurements. I did add 1" (IIRC) to the length of each to take into account the general rise in average height so that the garments looked right when worn rather than right when measured.

I was surprised at how big the jacket turned out when made to the measurements, but there it is. It makes me think that the jacket was a kind of overcoat rather than everyday wear.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Thanks all for the info. I will be contacting the maker as she made the longvest and see if she might be able to make a coat that trails about even with the vest. I had looked into a sleeved vest but they appear to form to the body more than what I would want for a coat.

smythesig-2.jpg