The Sack of St. Augustine: Robert Searles Raid of 1668

Captain William

searlesgraphsmall.jpg

Download the 2012 Flyer

Download Large Format 11x17 Poster

In 1668 Capt. Robert Searle and his privateers sailed from Jamaica to loot the silver ingots held in the royal coffers at St. Augustine. Under cover of night, they slipped into the harbor and attacked the sleeping town...

We are always looking for new recruits to portray townspeople, garrison soldiers, Native Americans, and buccaneers! Our focus is on an accurate historical impression, using correct materials, styles, and equipment. You need not be a historian, actor, or military enthusiast to participate.

WARNING ORDER

The 13th annual, historical re-enactment of The Sack of St. Augustine: Capt. Robert Searle's Raid of 1668 will take place March 3rd-6th 2011, in St. Augustine, Florida. Camp setup will begin on Thursday March 3rd after 12pm at The Fountain of Youth Park. The battle in downtown St Augustine will be held on Saturday March the 5th at 5pm, starting in the city Plaza and ending at the Spanish redoubt located across from the Castillo de San Marcos.

PLEASE NOTE:

· This Event is a historical re-enactment. Historically accurate garb and gear are required to participate in this Event. Please contact Jeff Johnson or William Kunze to let us know that you are or any of your crewe will be joining us for the festivities

.No "skull and crossbone's" will be allowed. Not on Flags, clothing, or gear of any kind. There is no historical evidence of these standards flown in this time period.

· English buccaneers and Spanish soldados - musketeers are needed! Matchlock, snaphaunce ,doglock, and miquelet muskets will be accepted. Queen Anne pistols will be allowed. Research shows them being used as early as 1660.

· Native Americanre-enactors, doing Timucua, Apalachee, and Guale, are especially welcome!

· If you are a sutler and interested in selling period correct items at this Event, please contact me asap at jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com. There are no sutler fees!

· The Fountain of Youth Park has just completed a new addition to the park; a restroom and shower facility!

For more information about the event please visit our website at:

http://www.searlesbu...om/searles.html

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who are interested in attending we send out information via email in the months leading up to the event, I may have some of your emails already (have you received anything from Searles??). If you are not on our mailing list and would like to be please email me at

wskunze@gmail.com

And I'll add you to our contact list.

Some of you may have provided your email at recent event registration but if you have received anything in the past year please email me again to make sure I have the right address!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there still time to sign up or am I too late?

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

I'll be there for the whole weekend this time.

(PM sent)

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Attention! Attention!

For those who will be joining us for the Friday night parade of arms down St George St., we have added something special for the evening.

After we finish our march and demonstration at the redoubt by the old city gates, Searle's Buccaneers will provide dinner at the Taberna del Gallo , located on St George St.

This is a period tavern with cold beer and good prices(they also have great Sangria!). Bring your feast gear and mugs and join us for the festivities.

We will then return to camp at the Fountain of Youth to continue the jollification.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson