hampton blackbeard festival 2012, june 1-3

Dutchman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damnation my arse! grace was on the shellphone while i was typing and the contract was changing as i was typing.

Was that before or after we spoke?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Safe trip

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Hampton Blackbeard Festival just got hit by a tornado. I just got off the phone with Kitt Madden and everyone is fine. The camp was leveled and there was no shortage of debris, but everyone cleared the camp before the tornado came through, so there are no serious injuries reported.

A few reoprts from people at the site...

"One way or the other we are going to shoot cannons tomorrow. All Pirates are accounted for, No major injuries. But we took a direct hit. All the Crews want to continue with the show. Not much more we can do until day brake. Most of the camping crew members will be spending the rest of the night at the Virginia Air and Space Center. No power but at least it's dry."

-Randy Gnatowsky

"Well, everyone is fine. But the Camp is leveled. We rebuild tomorrow."

-Robert Jack Permenter

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I just spoke with Haunting Lily. They saw the tornado pass their hotel and flatten a whole mess of tents and not a few cars. The power is still out at their hotel and people are doubling up in hotels. Their hotel has offered to move them down the road to a place with power, but they're in the dark at the moment. There are emergency generators at the camp and a tree is laying on Jack's tent, so they'll be bringing out the chainsaws in the morning.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I have talked to Dutch and he asked me to let everyone know that no one was hurt, but there was a lot of damage to the area. Please say a prayer for all our pyrate family that was at the festival, and thank God that we lost no one. There will be more infomation to come, but a lot of the vendors have lost a lot. Stay tuned for more information.

Sending out our love and prayers,

Momma and Poppa and the entire Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion Crewe

http://wtkr.com/2012/06/02/more-photos-from-fridays-tornadoes/ More photos of the festival grounds and surrounding areas. The festival is open and packed today, with crowds waiting for hours at the entrance while the rest of the debris was removed. I can honestly say this was one pirate event I will NEVER forget!

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

just returned from the blackbeard fest in hampton. the whole area around and including the camp was hit hard. tree limbs had to be cut and removed, a home near the stage had a huge hole in the roof from were a handicap ramp had been ripped from the stage and propelled through it. items from the camp were picked up and tossed into the hampton river. all the crews pulled together and put the camp back together and visitors were premitted in by 3pm. the weather cleared it is a great day dry and cool, they had cannon firing from the point and other pirate activities. there was a lost of vender items and tents. black bear was there along with the scarlet scarab and one other, all was set up open air because their tents were torn up.

Our thoughts and prayers are with our pirate brethren in Hampton Virginia tonight where there was a tornado in town that pretty much trashed the Blackbeard Festival pirate camp. Thank goodness almost all the pirates were at the Pirate Ball rather than in camp when the winds came. You might want to watch the video... It's the second video down the webpage, actually from the pirate encampment.

http://wtvr.com/2012...y6xDVXK3l059US1

Edited by Bright

Astonishing news on the festival. I'm glad all the participants are well and return home safely.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Honestly, it was amazing how everyone took the tornado at the Ball. The power was out, there was no food, but there was music, dancing, and singing. Everyone in garb socializing by candlelight with The Brigands providing ambiance was amazing. It seemed reminiscent of the old tavern scene wood block prints. If anything alot more like what a pirate party in my mind.

smythesig-2.jpg

So glad you're all safe...hope to never get a call like that from Brig again.

MaeBar-1.png

The world stands out on either side

No wider than the heart is wide.

~E. Millay

ahoy all.... checking in, finally! SOOOOO, if your story of Blackbeard 2012 doesn't start with "no kidding- there we were.........." you weren't there!

The tornado hit at 8:10, by 8:30 we knew all were safe- that took a while as we were spread out over ten blocks of canvas and party. We reentered the camp around 9 and began the clean up. we endured a couple downpours but the crew captains reported in and said they would continue with what was left. The festival committee and city officials met, and lamented, and met, and cried. at 0100, they looked at the two pirates on the committee and asked if it could be done...... they were told we were going to plan for a festival until they told us to stop. at 0900 the camp was half way up, city works was clearing the downed trees and debris, Dolphin Laundry mat showed up to take our wet clothes, sand came from a local contractor to fill the pond in the middle of camp. and the fire marshal proclaimed the site safe.........and by 1500, the rest is Pirate history!

Thank you all for your calls, prayers, offers of help and support. Thank you to our reenactors who came to me as were still hunkered down in the parking deck who said they wanted to continue. We had three vendors leave and one group had to leave due to a personal emergency saturday evening, otherwise all remained and we had one of the largest visitor turnouts in the events history. I met with sallie, the city festival boss this morning and on behalf of the city of hampton- HUZZAH! well done mates.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU one and all! I'll chime in again after some rest.

I'm off to bed now, its been a long weekend. ...dream sequence begins here " but aunty Em, we're not in kansas any more!"

*edit* just saw the tall ship concerns. Wolf was not in port yet, they are arriving tomorrow and all are safe. All the small boats were fine and the three large boats remained at the dock for safety due to possible floatsom damage. Pride of Baltimore II took a knock on her bowsprit when a loose boat hit her, but she is already repaired.