hampton blackbeard festival 2012, june 1-3

Dutchman

make plans now for 2012! June 1-3

this year will be an adventure as we have a few bits of great news! To start-----

-OPSail 2012 will be in Norfolk the following weekend, so plan on being with us for 2 weeks! Plans are in the works to have one or two ships arrive early to join us.

-We have a new period vendor signing on as an anchor merchant over at the hunters camp. I saw the tent foot print request and that's a lot of merchandise! I'll let you know who it is once the contract is in.

-Yes, vendors extraordinaire greg and everett will be in the pirate camp as well as J. R. and black bear.

-A tradesman from Colonial Williamsburg is clearing her schedule to set up shop as well. If all goes well we shall have many happy gentlemen sporting new looks for the ball.

-Battery point will have more territory to fire from!

-The 18th century bread makers will be on hand to fill our bellies!

- Presentations based on Hampton's connections with Black Beard as well as Robert Lewis Stevenson's Treasure Island !

-the Friday night ball!

-weather permitting, fireworks Saturday night. The waterfall from the bridge is an amazing thing to see!

Visit our website at http://blackbeardpiratefestival.com/ and i'm here to answer any questions.

-God save the King, indeed!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news about battery point!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

aye jenny, cant let the cat out yet but i did talk to them last week and the schedule is being cleared. as a side i talked to betty as well and gave her a hand full of drawings. she is seriously considering doing some GAOP pieces. She did her first one last year at fort fred. Tis the one I use for Mr. Fitz-Williams, the custom agent which is in last years festival thread.

battery park has continued to grow. so much that it is a bit unwieldy on the point so the extra room will indeed be nice. now if we can just get lawrence to ..... oh never mind.

james- would love to make the acquaintanceship.

battery park has continued to grow. so much that it is a bit unwieldy on the point so the extra room will indeed be nice. now if we can just get lawrence to ..... oh never mind.

I'll bring the shackles....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

• 1 month later...

ahoy all- just a quick update on the festival.

Two tall ships from op-sail will be joining the fleet this year. From what I understand the contracts are both on East Coast Ships which have not been to the festival before.

The re-enactors and ships contracts have been submitted and being worked over. All of our regular groups have signed back on and we anticipate approval on one new unit.

Grace reports that two new period vendors have requested space. One will be an anchor vendor over by the air and space center. The second is a local and will add flare to the camp.

I'm in charge of the camp and re-enactors and have requested a larger camp footprint. We anticipate having the largest number of re-enactors yet this year! If things go well, the Foundation will have a work in progress over the festival and opsail weekend.

Running a safe and family friendly event remains at the top of the committees concerns. Our man in blue is working on our various permits. A friendly reminder that random firing of weapons, brandishing weapons (including sharp pointy things)and open alcohol containers outside of licensed venues may place visitors at risk of city provided lodging as well as an embarrassing ride across town in a police golf cart.

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to chime in!

ahoy mr. smythe, thank you for asking about peace tying and weapon safety. the city does not require visitors to peace tie weapons, but scabbards are highly encouraged and we prefer blunted tips and edges if no scabbard. Festival crew pirates ARE required to have all edged weapons in a scabbard, blunted and inspected upon check in. The festival follows a script so no ad hock or pick up fights are permitted.

The only past incidents we have had were swords sticking out like tails behind a pirate- perfect eye level to wee ones. the carrier was asked to reposition the offending sword- No biggie.

• 2 weeks later...

Dutchman -

Keep those Hampton event Tips and FYI's coming... ^_^

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

ok, well we are still waiting on our budget to finish on the chopping block.

In the meantime betty, from the williamsburg wigmakers, has signed on board with her ladies. Gentlemen, bring your purses! Foppish hair pieces are to be had for reasonable prices!

A new twist has happened on the boat front. The shallop Explorer will be returning this year. The Deltaville museum will be manning her this year. There may be a new vessel on the water as well...................................................

Powder for battery point is en-route.

more to follow............

Dutchman- how does one get invited, and how about bringing another gun? I should be able to make it this year and would love to bring Voice.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

ahoy hawkyns,

unfortunately this years budget has already been submitted for visiting crews. The city insurance for this event does not allow spectators to play with gunpowder and unfortunately anyone who is not under contract is considered a spectator.

Now, on the other side of the coin.... we do have a couple of period vendors spots we are looking to fill. Visit the festival site, download the vendors application and mail it in. As yours will be a new application you will be asked to send pictures and a list of goods you sell. Disregard it. We have seen your- hell, we have bought your goodies- you are fine.

PM coming to you as well

I'm just as giddy as can be. The budget is good to go for what we need.... give or take a bit......

A major addition to the Foundation will be present this year so stand by for a HUGE announcement over the next two weeks!

• 1 month later...

well okey dokey then!

pirates camp is full!

the last vendors spot in the pirate hunters camp just filled up. no room left in the inn, as it were. the pirate hunters camp has ended up with some really cool vendors this year.

volunteers getting lined up.

event meeting on thursday making final plans. here we go!

*edit* well now, looks like hat maker extraordinare (damn-*edit to the edit till he talks to his wife*) will be on hand to replace Sterlings frumpy old one. Hats will be available in time for purchase Friday for the ball!

*edit* well now, looks like hat maker extraordinare (damn-*edit to the edit till he talks to his wife*) will be on hand to replace Sterlings frumpy old one. Hats will be available in time for purchase Friday for the ball!

Damnation Dutch yer starting to sound like cousin robbie.

Crewe of the Archangel