Charleston, SC

capnwilliam

I just got back from a short business trip to Charleston, SC; my first time there, and I was amazed at the amount of 18th century architecture (this coming from a Philadelphia native and New Orleans resident!)

I did see a white van with a PIRATES license plate but couldn't talk with the driver!

Are there any pirates / pirate activities in the area? B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I'm sorry to tell you Capn. , but I'ved live just outside Charleston for a little over 7years now and they have very little to no pirate activities here. I,ve done a little research on Charlestons history and they do have a colorful history when it comes to piracy, but they just don't use it.

The old customs house and provost dungeon has a small display about pirates because of Stede Bonnet. The Queen Anne's Revenge resteraunt in Mt.Pleasent has more stuff than the customs house. The resteraunt has been mentioned on another thread and even gives their web address so you can take a virtual tour. There is suppose to be a pirate walking tour downtown, but I've never taken it. I just haven't seen or heard enough about pirates here to think that it would be worth it.

As for pirates in the area there may be a few, but whenever I start talking about piracy most people just roll their eyes and look bored. If you find any tell ol'Longarm cause I'm getting a little tired of feeling like I'm the only one.

There is just to much history that this town has forgotten about or is loseing you just wouldn't believe it. They don't even have a maritime museum despite the fact that this used to be a major port since it's founding. And piracy was a major industry here. They used to have open air markets to sell their cargos. Officals were routinely bribed to look the other way. Hell it was almost part of their job description.

I'll keep an eye out for you in case anything comes up but no promises that something will

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Yah Charleston be funny that way.

The Queen Anne's Revenge be all thats happenin Pyratey.

Ye be so right Cap'n the town she be historically beautiful.

When I was still livin nearby, they made sure that even when a new business opened up, their facade had to be in the historical style (this be downtown of course).

Would be nice for the place if some Pirate scenes started up.

I know they had tall ship tours ye could rent out.

Maybe someday somebody'll do like a Pirate outing.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

• 2 months later...

This thread be old but thar be a new lead in finding pirates in Chraleston, SC. In the Raid section I've posted new info for the Charleston Maritime Festival, one of the entertainments is a pirate and his wench. Would that same pirate or his good lady wench be at this port? Are you sitting quietly in a corner somewhere sipping yer rum or are ye belly up to the bar noisely chugging yer rum and not telling us where ye be from? Are ye the owner of the mysterious white van with the PIRATES license plates? If so speak out yer among freinds here. Whoever this pirate be I intend to meet up with him and his wench and recruite them to this here forum. Who knows if thar be more pirates like him here abouts maybe we can start a pirate revival in this sleepy little town, she do need a shot in the arm and piracy just maybe the thing. T'is a shame that so much history should go to waste or be forgotten.

And if CapnWillaim be about ye may just get another recruite for yer Confederate Privateers that ye be setting up. Charleston was a major port for these rogues so ye'll have one more reason fer visiting. And if this festival takes off ye could find a fine port to preform or teach about the privateers role during the war of northern aggression.

Capt. William here, Longarm. I never did hear from the white-vanned, PIRATES license-plated mate, but then I reckon it's not beyond the realm of possibility that there be a pirate abouts who doesn't belong to this Forum! :D

Sure, I'm always looking fer new privateer recruits: we're home ported at

confederateprivateers@yahoogroups.com

When is / was the Charleston Maritime Festival? Can't / couldn't make it this year, since we spent our doubloons going to Beafort, but it's surely a strong possibility for 2005. :)

Capt. William

CapnWilliam, Ye might not be to late, the festival is from June 17-20. It be free to the public so that helps with the dabloon shortage. I,ve posted more in the raids forum if ye be interested. I,ve just found out that Cascabel and his lady will be entertaining there.

I know! Ye said ye was down here on business right? Just tell everyone you need to come back to tie up a few loose ends or that you think you left the stove on or something, then you can run-off to the festival.

Aye, Longarm, ye do make a great sales pitch, to be sure! :lol:

But we just can't afford another trip this year. I did promise me stepdaughter that we'd spend a weekend at one of the Mississippi resorts (the Redneck's Riviera, they calls it), and other than that, we're home ported for (financial) repairs for awhile. (Especially so because I'm contemplating purchase of a flintlock shoulder piece, to supplement my flintlock pistol; though why, I don't know, since I got the pistol several weeks ago, and still haven't found time to even test fire it) :lol:

Capt. William

Capt. William since when do you need a reason to purchase a new flintlock? You just do. Sorry you wont be attending this year maybe next. By that time I may have me own flintlock and a place to go practice them at. As for not having the coin That I understand all to well which explains my own lack of firearms at the moment. Keep yer eyes open mate ye never know when a treasure ship might be passing by.

I've heard rumors of a replica seventeenth-century ketch (The Adventure?) at Charles Towne Landing, and would like to know more.

These little vessels were ubiquitous on the American coast at the time, yet little is really known about them.

Charleston is definitely a place I'd like to see one of these days.

Aye, Longarm, a place to practice with a black powder weapon can be a problem. "Back in the woods" is becoming a place ever harder to find and get to, and indoor ranges don't allow BP shooting, for obvious reasons.

Unless you just want to shoot blanks at an historical event...me, I'm becoming more the loner than I ever was; getting less interested in crowds and events, more interested in actually shooting to hit me target.

I don't hunt, but may eventually take it up, if I ever get to be a capable enough shot: whether with bow, or black powder firearm. Modern guns are also interesting me ever less, as time goes on.

Capt. William

Aye Longarm and Cap'n William, do they still have that around the world boat race in Chast'n like they did in the mid-90s. I remember they had the big "start" in the spring or summer, then the big "finish" was some time later. Channels 5 and 2 (that we watched the most) always made a big deal out of it.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Aye Tito, I believe they still do, although I think heard something about it moving to another port so I'm not quite as sure as before. I'll check in on it for you. I do know that the co-director of the Charleston Maritime Heritage Foundation (can't find his name at the moment) has participated in a couple of the events and if I'm not mistaken ( and I very well could be) has even won once. I'll have to look through my stuff and find it for you.

I can tell you that in May of 2005 they will have the Charleston to Bermuda sail race. They plan on holding it every other year here. This one will be the fifth one ( again if I'm not mistaken ).

Check out THE Spirit of South Carolina to find out more.

CapnWilliam I understan completely feeling the same way myself. I'm like my parents, I would would much rather shoot an animal with a camera than a gun. Though my mom used to hunt when she was young mainly to have food on the table. Grandpa was a pretty good at being a grand father but as I learned later on he wasn't the best father or husband. If the family didn't go hunting from time to time they might have gone hungry.

We still have alot of back in the woods around this state I just don't know anyone who owns them to let me on. I'll keep looking into it because I'ld like to learn to hit the target myownself. To many Clint Eastwood and John Wyan movies tend to make you do that. If I find someplace I'll let you know. Maybe when you can make it down here again we can try it out. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Deacon Frye you'ld be right about the ketch at Charles Towne Landing. She's a small rounded thing to be sure. I,ve not been there in a long time now (falling into the habit of not doing the tourist stuff in the ol'hometown thing that must people tend to do.) I do know that she has been rececently taken out and repaired and restored. The Landing itself has undergone some renovations too but I can't say just what they are. I'll look up the web-site and post it for you if I kind find it.

I don't know what it is about this place but the sure don't like keeping up with their history here, even though they want to promote it as being historical. Ever since the controversy over the confederate flag even the Civil War events and history are being kept low keyed. I know I'm exagerating some but if you show to much interest in the War of Northern Agression, especially the southern side of thing, you can get labeled a bigot and other such things. Weird place Charleston, but well worth the visit if your willing to take the time to do alittle digging for the unvarished and not the politically correct or tourist friendly version of things.

So save some coin and make some time and come see the place you'll be more than welcome. Charleston has been voted one of if not the friendlist cities in the country for a long time now. So make when you can.

Weird place Charleston, but well worth the visit if your willing to take the time to do alittle digging for the unvarished and not the politically correct or tourist friendly version of things.

Aye that was one of the things I loved 'bout all me visits ta Chast'n was their keeping things historical as they were, and preserving that history genuinely in the modern scope of things. Nothing was sugar coated or changed for the sake of change. It was beautiful.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

• 1 month later...

Me an me crew sail out of Charles Towne! As Longarm was sayin, thar not be much here in the way of "official" piratical happenins, as it were, but me an me crew gather to pillage and plunder at least evry other moon. If ye be interested in joinin us, sing out! We be able to have special gatherins to honor other pirates visitin our port.

It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better.

Sir Francis Drake