A couple of leatherwork questions.

Korisios

I am planning some leatherwork projects at the moment and wander about a view things:

1a. In drawings that I see (http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Eq_Mil_Petard_1.pdf), the edges of belts and baldrics appear to have some sort of lining or edging sown to it, does anyone have an idea what such a lining is made of?

1b. To me it would be also logical to have some kind of textile on the back- or inside of belts and baldrics, especially for the higher ranked soldiers and the rich civilians, to keep the rough backside and the edges of the leather from wasting the fabric of their clothing... I do have a modern drawing of a Spanish 1700 soldier that even does have some ruffled fabric showing from behind his baldric, I like this idea, but would love to see some period drawings of it before I put in the effort of copying this...

2. What period methods are there to decorate leather (that I can do myself)? I would like to put an intricate Spanish coat of arms emblem on my bag, and wander if it would be period, to just paint this emblem on there...?

3. Until now I assumed that riveting pieces leather together, back then would be the luxurious way of making things, compared to sowing, but when I think of it the sowing would take more time. Any thoughts of this?

Edited by Korisios
gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

The decorative line is done with a "seam groover". I am a big fan of using that technique on a lot of the belts and other strap work I make.

Tooling leather goes back a long way in history, and while I haven't looked for samples (because I don't do leather tooling), I haven't seen any examples for tooled leather in the GAoP (maybe it wasn't fashionable during the period?).

For fabric covered baldrics, there are a lot of images. Most seem to be dated to the 1680s and 1690s if I recall correctly, but I am fairly certain there are later and earlier examples as well.

Michael_banner.jpg

med_gallery_11212_412_306324.jpg

Hi Michael

This is the example I am going to work from... The edges do look to me to be covered with some kind of fabric with the stiching clearly shown.

And the elaborate Flur de Lise on the flap, you think this is done with a seam grover?

No, not a seam groover. Sorry, I responded to the post from my mobile device and couldn't view the image. That to me looks more like edge binding. Probably in kid skin or some other thin light leather. It is possible the edge binding may be fabric, but a very light leather makes the most sense in my mind.

The other details are likely painted on, but like I said in my last post, leather tooling goes at least back to the dark ages (and likely further), but I have not seen many examples of leather tooling in the GAoP.

That's a bueatiful piece to replicate. I believe Patrick Hand made one (or one similar) some years ago, but he made his very plain and simple and left out any adornment.

Michael_banner.jpg

The elaborate Fleur de Lis on the front flap of that pouch was probably cut in with a small knife (modern tool for this is a swivel knife), and stamped in with a beveller. This is a time-consuming process, but turns out beautiful. For a simpler method, you could paint on the flap (I would recommend black leather dye- it will stay put...but ceramic paints will do just fine as well with occasional touch-ups.

In reference to your question 1b., the rough edges on belts are easily smoothed by wetting them and rubbing vigorously with a cloth such as an old shirt. The rough backside wears smooth after just a few wearings, so I don't see where it would be considered to cause undue wear and tear to clothing. If it were to be lined, I would think it would be with wool that would also serve to add padding to prevent chaffing from the leather (which is a constant problem).

Thanks folks for the info, Edging the leather against shaffing does make sens.

And explains the stiching you see on so many drawings, without the need for something on the back side.

I have some thin red leather somewere so I could use that maybe...

The leather I have is a natural pale color with the booth sides rough and I plan to rivit the parts together with big iron blued rivits.

So the overall appearens would be a bit militia like I quess.

I am happy to hear that painting would be a plausible option, so that's it gonna be then. I am good at painting so it might turn a bit more colorfull then just black. Could I juse modern acrilics for that to, ot does it need to be ceramics paint?

I also have some gold leave laying around, could that work, or will it rubb of to easely?

Modern acrylics should work just fine. The paint I"m used to using is water based, though, and so it might stand a better chance of penetrating the leather. There is a product available here called Saddle Lac that seals the leather after it is painted and keeps the paint from just flaking off.

Stitching over the years has been done decoratively as well as practically. A lot of bridles (for horses) and some belts have this even today. It makes a product look like it is the more expensive two + layer, without being so.

For an aged look, you could even use dye, let it set, and then go over it very lightly with a fine grit sandpaper.

After a few decades of experience using bandoleers, I would say that the lining was thinner leather instead of cloth. When a matchlock goes off, hot embers are blown off of the end of the match. This will make holes in fabric. If you are going to go to all of the trouble of lining a bandoleer then you would use leather. Otherwise it would look bad quickly.

Also, cloth would wear through at the shoulder.

After a few decades of experience using bandoleers, I would say that the lining was thinner leather instead of cloth. When a matchlock goes off, hot embers are blown off of the end of the match. This will make holes in fabric. If you are going to go to all of the trouble of lining a bandoleer then you would use leather. Otherwise it would look bad quickly.

Also, cloth would wear through at the shoulder.

That could makes sense Mark,

Would that also be the case with flintlocks?

Then.., virtualy all your clothing would be ruined after a morning of target shooting??

I make sure to wear heavy wool when I shoot matchlocks. I still have numerous small burns on my sleeve. I burned a good sized hole in the shoulder of a linen doublet (and burned my shoulder). Flintlocks are nowhere near as hard on clothing.