Shirt question.

Korisios

I am making an (early) 18 century shirt at the moment, and now somehow I ended up with a collar that is actually a bit to small I am afraid I would not be able to breath ones I attache and close the buttons... :(:huh: .

Now I am wandering if there's another period way to close the collar that gifs me a little more space (to breath).

Would it be an idea to use two buttons like the way you do the cuffs with two buttons??

Or would simply tying the collar shut with a small ribbon attached or run through to the collar be period also??

So, in short: HELP!!! :wacko::blink::o

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

The most ideal solution would be to have the collar pulled off and a larger one put on. Of course that may not be possible if you don't have enough fabric left over...

Cuff links might work if you can sew a buttonhole, and the existing buttonhole is large enough to accommodate cuff links. (And if you won't find the metal to rough on your throat).

Ties could work, but I am not very fond if that option as I find ties can slip a lot and cause the shirt neck to either fall open or constrict more.

Michael_banner.jpg

I am making an (early) 18 century shirt at the moment, and now somehow I ended up with a collar that is actually a bit to small I am afraid I would not be able to breath ones I attache and close the buttons... :(:huh: .

Now I am wandering if there's another period way to close the collar that gifs me a little more space (to breath).

Would it be an idea to use two buttons like the way you do the cuffs with two buttons??

Or would simply tying the collar shut with a small ribbon attached or run through to the collar be period also??

So, in short: HELP!!! :wacko::blink::o

Piecing is period. Take the collar off and add a piece to make it larger (I'd add it by splitting the back and inserting a piece), or as Michael suggested, make another larger collar entirely if you have enough fabric. Fixing mistakes like this is all part of the process.

*** Just remember if you add a piece to compensate for the extra seam allowances _plus_ the extra you need to add to make it fit.

Happy sewing!

This is definitely a good question though, and prompts me to ask specifically: is there any evidence to suggest ties or tassels were used on collars at all to keep them closed? Or on cuffs, for that matter?

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

This is definitely a good question though, and prompts me to ask specifically: is there any evidence to suggest ties or tassels were used on collars at all to keep them closed? Or on cuffs, for that matter?

I've never seen evidence of ties being used on any shirts in the historic clothing books I have, I was suggesting it more as a means of salvaging the shirt.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

Question, how much smaller is it?

Another option could be... use a string to loop to the button... or lace the collar if you do not want to remove it and piece it. Piece it does sound like a proper way of it.

I did use a string loop to button one shirt. And for another that was not able to close, just used a small cotton twill lace to close or slightly close the collar, If you are using a cravat, doesn't really have to be closed completely. Unless you are definitely going for upper class... well, then... all the upper class shirts I've seen were spot on with buttons.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!