My new/first cocked hat

Korisios

Together with a friend of mine (http://www.hoedopmaat.nl/home.html) who makes felt hats (the 20th century fashionable kind) I made this early 18th century Spanish Officers Cocked hat.

We started out with a soft felt blank and in several runs of priming and stiffening (appreteren) we cave de bowl it's shape and stiffened the rim making it ready for the actual bending. I choose a more flattened bowl (sugerloaf) and already before cocking the rim, the design looked Spanish to me.

The rim is trimmed with silver lace, the cords are gold and the band around the bowl is (I think) what you people would call bullion tape.

Making use of Ivan Henrys gallery and some internet searches I based my hat more or less on the drawing of the: "Chapeaux d'officiers d'apres un almanch de 1705, la prise de Barcelone." and some other drawings and foto's I found on the internet.

It might be a bit to fancy for most of you pirates, but I think it suits an officer quite nicely...

I must say I am very pleased with it...

gallery_11212_490_234501.jpg

gallery_11212_490_84666.jpg

gallery_11212_490_33901.jpg

and just for the fun of it, I include one more photo of my stuff here:

gallery_11212_490_200919.jpg

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

Where did you get you silver lace from?

Thanks guys for the compliments.

The Lace, the gold cord the bullion tape and the button came from the shop "Passementerie, Baars & van de Kerkhof" here in Utrecht, one of the bigger city's here in the center of the Netherlands 90 to 120 minutes by train from where I live. This shop is completely dedicated to bands, ribbons, lace buttons, cords, feathers and the like... Run by a couple that seams to be very knowledgeable about what they sell. Unfortunately, they appear to not have website nor an e-mail address... )-;

The silver lace I used is a little wider then shown on the hat, because for aesthetic reasons we decided not to use the complete wide of it.

The actual edge of the rim is bordered by a separate silver cord that comes already attached to a ribbon, especially meant for the purpose of edging things...

If you want I can make a picture of all the things separate.

I loved the cockade that you made and used to ornament the hat. Very nice!

Thanks Jib.

The cockade is the most simple one you can have actually just a square piece off cloth, I only doubled it, stitched it all around and carefully pleaded it in the middle, to make it fit under the cord neatly.

The photos and props are also fantastic!

It's by far not all authentic or period, but I think it gifs a good feel of where I am heading at...