Tent & Tent Ropes

Jas. Hook

I'm setting up some tarp poles 8' and 6.5' in length.

What would be the length of associated the guy ropes?

Thanks

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

My fly poles are six feet. I use an eye splice on the stake end, and tie a tautline hitch at the pole.

http://www.netknots.com/html/tautline_hitch.html

My ropes are ten feet long. Calculating an eight foot pole, I would guess about twelve feet would be enough.

I would error on being too long, rather than too short... unless you have someone to hold the other end.

D.B. Couper

if you want to place your stakes 3' from the pole, 8.5' is the length from the pole top to the stake.... with the stake at 4' from the pole, the length increases to 9'...at 5' away, the length is 9.5'...

this is however NOT the total length !! you have to add some for the top of the pole, about 6" for a bowline or eye splice, and you have to add some to go around the stake and back up to tie a taut line hitch or a trucker's hitch, about 3'... the trucker's hitch is more of a modern knot and uses up a little more rope...

so for an 8' pole with a stake about 4' ( good distance ) from the pole, you need 9 + .5 + 3 or 12.5' make it 13' for extra measure.... if you are unsure about high winds, etc., move the stake out further, but increase the length of the rope a foot or two

if you want the hitch up a little higher so you aren't kneeling on the ground to bend them, make them a little longer still...

to double check this, have someone hold the pole plumb, tie a rope at the top, measure out for the stake, and stretch the rope to the stake and back up to a comfortable heighth for the hitch.... measure that and voila !! u got it

as a side note, the further out the stakes are, the more stable the fly or tent will be... but having stakes and ropes too far from the poles makes a tripping hazard in the dead of a drunken night !!

try to use Hemp ropes -when hemp gets wet it tightens up,

just the opposite w/

Sisal/Manilla- sisal/Manilla loosens up when wet, so remember when it is raining and all that rain collects on top of your canvas, w/ sisal you will find yerself constantly having to tighten yer rope tighteners and getting drenched in a down pour while the collected water soaks ya!

Hemp will tighten up so remember not to make ropes to tight but tight enough to hold yer awnings and tent up- if you make it to tight your stakes will pull up, use long stakes so as this will help when hemp gets wet.

When setting out your ropes it isnt just the right distance, but angle you place the rope and the angle you drive the stake into the ground. Yes it is true for the drunken Sailors who seem wobbley and cant hold there grog, but really the distance helps somewhat with that, but really a drunk will just fall over everywhere and if ya have a tavern it seems ya wake up the next day with one sleepin in yer camp.

Hemp is twice the price, but its worth the extra cash, as hemp is softer on the hands, and wont tear up yer hands like sisal/manilla.

Hemp is alot stronger than Sisal/Manilla also. Hemp doesnt fray over time like sisal does, also yer hemp ropes will last 3x as long.

I buy my Hemp rope from Turkeyfoot Trading Company, 888-498-3466. they have many choices to choose from as there are many diameters to pick from. I use this Hemp rope on my wedges-awnings and my regent pavillion & awnings as well.

as far as distance make them at least 12' -To measure: place your rope to the ground run it up to the pole around (spike/pin) drilled into the top the pole and brang the rope to yer waist/chest area. give yerself a few extra inches. knot one end, get yerself rope tighteners (panther primitives sells them for 1.00 each) you may want to buy a stake puller from (panther primitives, $22.00) as well as this helps when pullin out your stakes-I highly recommend this tool if ya have bad knees or a bad back. ya wont loose as many stakes either!

i recommend 18" length for stakes, 1/2 stock, steel. these will run ya any where from 2.50 each to 4.00 each. i order in bulk and get em for 2.00 each.

you may want to add Finails to the tips of yer poles for that extra decorative look, but they also help secure your ropes and canvas from lifting off the pins in stronger winds and help keep the water away from the holes in yer tent wear the poles sets into. Panther sells these for 3.00-5.00 each depending on the style you choose.

Order a catalog from panther 800-487-2684, great resource for encampment items. good luck, Parker

Edited by PLUNDERING PYLOS PARKER

Thanks all for the replies, mates.

As I'm using hemp rope I'm trying not to waste it by under cuts or over cuts.

I've made a bunch of slide for the guy ropes and have made the two center ends 8' poles stained with the final 12" of the end painted white to resemble a spar from a small boat. For an add on to one of the 8' I located and am rebuilding a small wood single sheave block.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

PPP -

I will, though it's still a work in progress. ^_^

Jas. Hook