Pirate Movie by the makers of Wallace and Grommet

James Smythe

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I went to see Pirates - Band of Misfits on Saturday night. Quite a far fetch tale indeed. Set in the 1840's with Chas. Darwin and Queen Victoria as characters and the world's last Dodo bird ( ship's parrot).

A cameo role by Cutlass Liz as Caribbean Pearl or was it the other way around??? :huh:

A few good quips and one lines and action enough not to fall asleep but is is after all a claymation cartoon.

Don't forget your popcorn!

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Loved it! Laughed the whole time. I was really surprised to see the depth of understanding of the current pirate types community. Everyone looked like a sailor type until the Pirate of the year nominees were shown - then they all were way over the top Hollywood type pirates. Way too funny!

ihtcbanner.jpg

"It's Ham Nite!"

Caught the matinee show with the family. Very entertaining!

Later, over lunch, I got to put the Four Yorkshiremen spin on how, when I was a lad, all we had in the way of claymation comedy was The Gumby Show which was seen irregularly on a medium-sized, black and white tv screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised at the mix of intellectual whimsy (as expected from the Wallace and Gromit folks), the nod to "pirate" films and lore, and the actual historical references. This is one I WILL buy when it comes out on DVD and look forward to seeing all the subtle stuff I missed in the theater.

If you haven't seen it, DO!

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg