How do you age brass quickly?

Jib

I know that uncoated brass will tarnish in time but I purchased a few Steampunk findings and wanted to age them before attaching them to my hat and eye patch. I considered a black ink wash. Other ideas using house hold products?

Try to be careful with aging brass though. Copper oxide is (mildly?) toxic, and the main ingredients in brass is copper. Copper oxide the the slightly greenish tarnish brass (and bronze) gets when aged.

You likely want to avoid aging any prices that are touching sensitive areas (like your eyes).

Michael_banner.jpg

Jib -

Household ammonia.

To control ye project use a clear plastic container with screw cap like a large mayo or pb jar.

Place ye parts inside along with an open, upright, pill vial filled 3/4 with ammonia, cap the jar, set it aside and watch the brass age.

Don't spill the ammonia on the parts let the vapor do the work.

Depending on brass quality it may take over night to couple o days.

I've found this process best to age from dull to cruddy. You control the look you want.

Oh, and as Michael said above be careful as ye be dealing with chemicals and processes.

Jas. Hook ;)

Edited by Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

The woman I bought the brass pieces from had a few bottles of chemicals for the purpose but I passed on the solution since it was toxic. I had heard that vinegar cleans brass and copper.... I wonder if I age it and then hit the high points with vinegar to add contrast?

Okay, I've got an easier solution than all of these, if you've got a Michael's craft store nearby. It's called Sophisticated Finishes, and it gives a fantastic artificially aged patina to brass. They do recommend caution with their greening solution specifically because of the copper oxide concern, but I've never had a problem with it. However, as michaelsbagley said, you might not want to get it too near your eyes.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Okay, I've got an easier solution than all of these, if you've got a Michael's craft store nearby. It's called Sophisticated Finishes, and it gives a fantastic artificially aged patina to brass. They do recommend caution with their greening solution specifically because of the copper oxide concern, but I've never had a problem with it. However, as michaelsbagley said, you might not want to get it too near your eyes.

What area of Michael's craft store has this ? I hate wandering around stores hunting for obscure stuff !!

>>>> Cascabel

Oh yeah, good question... nuts... I usually find it near where they have the paints, I believe. But it should be somewhere near the woodworking, leather, beading, and whatnot. Those are usually all in the same general area. If all else fails though, I'd say ask an employee (assuming they know what they're talking about... which... well, y'know).

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Oh yeah, good question... nuts... I usually find it near where they have the paints, I believe. But it should be somewhere near the woodworking, leather, beading, and whatnot. Those are usually all in the same general area. If all else fails though, I'd say ask an employee (assuming they know what they're talking about... which... well, y'know).

Hmmmmm....... That's MAYBE a little more helpful than the dolts that work there !! :lol: :lol: :lol: Most often they have no idea at all where anything is.

Thanx anyhow....

True dat.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Hmmmmm....... That's MAYBE a little more helpful than the dolts that work there !! :lol: :lol: :lol: Most often they have no idea at all where anything is.

Thanx anyhow....

When I used to work there it was always near the craftpaints, spraypaint, and wood. I was a stocker.

Also I prefer walking on the beach and letting the salt spray do its job.

Edited by James Smythe
smythesig-2.jpg