Cracked.com Article - 6 Absurd Pirate Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks

Brit.Privateer

They did a pretty decent job on this, actually. One of my favorite bits was on the flags. At first I was like "okay, you guys are getting this way wrong," but then they went on to mention the fact that most pirate flags we think of as "historical" are just based on loose - and probably innaccurate - descriptions, and I was appeased, heh.

My only big gripe with the article was the part where they basically stated that since Mythbusters proved the eyepatch thing could PLAUSABLY be used to adjust for seeing below decks, it was essentially proven that pirates actually did this. Hell, I don't even know where Mythbustes GOT that myth. I'd never even heard of it previous to that episode.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 2 weeks later...

it is an interesting article. Also like the fact that they linked the 7 most terrifying pirates to it. I kind of dissagree on some points to it, but is pretty well written and accurate to what I can gather.

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My only big gripe with the article was the part where they basically stated that since Mythbusters proved the eyepatch thing could PLAUSABLY be used to adjust for seeing below decks, it was essentially proven that pirates actually did this. Hell, I don't even know where Mythbustes GOT that myth. I'd never even heard of it previous to that episode.

Regarding the eyepatch thing.......

If there was any basis in fact about that, it would have been common practice among ALL seamen, including merchants, fishermen, naval personnnel, etc. No written reference to the practice exists that I am aware of. I had never heard of it before the Mythbusters episode. Pure horse manure, like so many other things that make the rounds on the Internet !!!!

(One of my favorites being the excuses for Jack Sparrow style eye make-up on pirates. Again, if there was any basis in fact, it would have been commonly done by ALL seamen, and not just pirates.)

>>>>> Cascabel

Regarding the eyepatch thing.......

If there was any basis in fact about that, it would have been common practice among ALL seamen, including merchants, fishermen, naval personnnel, etc. No written reference to the practice exists that I am aware of. I had never heard of it before the Mythbusters episode. Pure horse manure, like so many other things that make the rounds on the Internet !!!!

(One of my favorites being the excuses for Jack Sparrow style eye make-up on pirates. Again, if there was any basis in fact, it would have been commonly done by ALL seamen, and not just pirates.)

>>>>> Cascabel

QFT!

Again, "it's plausable" does not equal "it actually happened." Beyond that though, I thought the article was pretty well done.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow