Disposal of goods

Graye Fox

I'm portraying a merchant and craftsman. I am curious about publications and documentation about how pirates disposed of their captured goods. Fencing through an unscrupulous merchant perhaps? And how did legit privateers dispose of their goods? Also, the flip side: How did pirates outfit themselves for sea? They couldn't have stolen everything they needed, at some point they have to purchase some stuff legally. Who would willing sell to a pirate?

I have read accounts of pirates coming to shore to sell goods. Was it in Atkins? It's been awhile, but I know I've read it. There are also a slew of rumors about Blackbeard's dealings with North Carolina Governor Eden. You know they sold stolen merchandise, but, like today, fences don't stay active by being outed.

I have also read of pirates specifically taking ship's stores, spars, cannons and whatnot to bolster their supplies, but, again, I forget which source that was.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

This is a really fascinating area that could use a lot more study. A lot of it depends on where and when you're talking about, but assuming you're talking about the golden age, there were a number of different ways for pirates to dispose of tradable commodities and acquire the necessities the required.

There are numerous mentions of pirates trading with ships they met with at sea, exchanging cargoes which were valuable but practically useless, such as sugar, for provisions, ships' stores, or ready cash. There are a few reports of ships being sent out by unscrupulous merchants for the express purpose of trading with pirates - one colonial official (I forget who off the top of my head) reported that he'd been told by the pirates themselves that they could not possibly have continued to the extent they did were it not for the supplies they received from colonial merchants. The rumours about North Carolina's involvement are solid fact - Tobias Knight, collector of customs for the colony, admitted trading with Blackbeard and storing the pirate's goods on his property.

Henry Every, amongst others, forced traders on land to purchase his commodities, but voluntary transactions also took place on land - Gardner's Island gets a mention here and there, and in the 1690s at least there was no shortage of willing merchants in the American colonies. By the 1720s the colonial authorities had largely clamped down on trade with pirates in the Americas, but there were still plenty of people on the African coast willing to trade. Probably the most remarkable enterprise was the trading post on St. Mary's Island set up by former buccaneer Adam Baldridge and New York merchant Frederick Phllipse in the 1690s: Phillipse sent consignments of Western commodities to Baldridge in St. Mary's (and the lists of stuff he sent are truly enlightening). Baldridge traded the commodities with pirates calling at the island, and sent pirate loot and Malagasy slaves back to Phillipse.

The trade between pirates and unscrupulous merchants was advantageous to both parties, which is probably why it was allowed to go on for so long. For the pirates it meant being able to replenish their stores and provisions without having to run the risk of dealing with 'legitimate' society. For the merchants it was an opportunity both to sell their goods at an inflated price and also to acquire other commodities at a substantial discount. Everyone wins.

Goods taken by privateers were first 'condemned' by a Court of Admiralty, which determined whether the capture was lawful. The goods (and often the prize itself) were then usually sold at auction, and the profits placed in the hands of the privateer's owners, who were in turn responsible for paying everyone their due.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Ed, I could swear I read a period or near-period account of extensive trading with people on shore in Cuba, Central America or somewhere in the northern part of South America recently. The people on land were quite delighted to see the pirates as I remember it and had an on-going trade relationship with them. It seems like the cargo was sugar, although this was just the author's one experience and he hinted towards others with other cargo. Does that ring any bells?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Don't forget the colony of Rhode Island. Their entire economic structure was based upon smuggling and privateering before, during, and after the GAoP. I didn't save any of the info I looked up, from a university reseach paper id did a couple years back, but there is a lot of stuff on Rhode Island and clandestine trade on historical websites from there and the surrounding New England states available.

Bo

P.S. - I put a link in a thread tagged "smuggling" I think, some time ago. There was some very good information in that web article on smuggling. if you are any good using the search here, you might look at that as well.

P.S.S. - I found this book in my links:

http://books.google.com/books?id=4PkLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA153&lpg=PA153&dq=colonial+rhode+island+piracy+and+trade&source=bl&ots=oBfLjRXnoO&sig=ezLO_sq1fQxV-gr4lSTQBPbxUCM&hl=en#v=onepage&q=colonial%20rhode%20island%20piracy%20and%20trade&f=false

There are a LOT more references to piracy and clandestine trade, my main search topic was, I believe< "colonial rhode island piracy and trade". Hope this will help you some.

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

In older post, among the books mentioned there was The Invisible Hook: The Hidden Economics of Pirates.

Reference... https://pyracy.com/in...?showtopic=8895

Out of curiosity we found an affordable used copy online and ordered same.

If there's any pertinent info and/or references, we'll be happy to share.

Edited by landlubbersanonymous

Ed, I could swear I read a period or near-period account of extensive trading with people on shore in Cuba, Central America or somewhere in the northern part of South America recently. The people on land were quite delighted to see the pirates as I remember it and had an on-going trade relationship with them. It seems like the cargo was sugar, although this was just the author's one experience and he hinted towards others with other cargo. Does that ring any bells?

Campeche? The logwood cutting community there had fairly on-going contact with pirates, but shorter term trade relationships existed all over the Carbbean and Spanish Main at different times.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I've read of two accounts where ships put into a foreign port and smallboats (fishing boats, cutters, etc.) came out to meet them for 'trade'. You see this happening into the 1800s, and it is often portrayed in film, though it tends to be informal purchase of foodstuffs and a few sundries, rather than the offloading of stolen goods.

Didn't William Kidd offload a great many goods outside of port proper, before putting in at the colonies, and just before his arrest?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The National Geopraphic film on the discovery of the Quedah Merchant (Kidd's ship) is very well done and also goes into some detail about the off-loading of captured cargo. I recommend viewing that. Our local library has a copy, you may want to check with your local branch.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/ancientcivilizations/ss/expedition_week_4.htm

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.