Period Publications for the Private and Public use of Privateers

William Brand

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I did not size this for printing or anything, but I am about to shrink it down so that many parts of it will be unreadable and I put a heckuva lot of work into cleaning it up. So I thought I'd put it here for those who want to see the map included in Lionel Wafer's 1699 edition of his buccaneering book A Voyage Across the Isthmus of America.

gallery_1929_23_166175.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...

It is a neat one. Here is another one - one which I have actually been looking for for a couple of years. When I was reading The voyages and travels of Captain Nathaniel Uring, he referred to his map of the Bay of Honduras (where many episodes of piracy took place). Unfortunately, I was reading a reprint and they hadn't bothered to include the map. An online image search failed to turn it up as well - although there were several references to it in various web documents.

I recently found it while reading George Francis Dow and John Henry Edmonds' book The Pirates of the New England Coast 1630-1730, so I scanned it in and cleaned it up. It actually looks like Dow and Edmonds only printed part of the map, although having never seen the original, I can't say for sure. It's not as neat as the one Wafer included in his book, but having searched so long for it, I wanted to put it out there. (Again, it's not particularly sized for printing or anything like that.)

gallery_1929_23_83756.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's another cool one for you, William. St Christopher from Nouveau Voyage aux Isles de l'Amerique, Volume 5, by Jean Baptiste Labat, 1722, p. 58

st_christopher_nouveau_voyage_aux_isles_de_l_Amerique_labat_jean_baptiste_1722_v5.jpg

(I've actually been there - twice, in fact. :) )

Mission_banner5.JPG