Period Publications for the Private and Public use of Privateers

William Brand

Here are three together, and all of them are published statistics concerning death (but for the marriages listed on one). They are often referred to as 'Bills of Mortality'. The one from 1665 is specifically sobering, as it touches on the many deaths from the plague.

DAY 22: 1665 - A Table of Funerals (8.5" x 14" with a 1/4 inch off each side)

DAY 23: 1743 - A General Bill of all the Christenings and Burials (8.5" x 11" with a half inch off the top and bottom)

DAY 24: 1758 - Diseases and Casualties (two copies on an 8.5" x 11" with crop marks)

1665-BillofMortality-LondonSmall.jpg1743-AGeneralBill-LondonSmall.jpg1758-BillsofMortalitySmall.jpg

1665-ATableoftheFunerals.pdf

1743-AGeneralBill.pdf

1758-DiseasesAndCasualties.pdf

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

DAY 34: 'The Case of His Excellency the Governour and Council Of the Province of the Massachusettes-Bay in New-England, truly Stated. Phew. One of the longer titles.

They did love to ramble on in those days in the title. Consider the full title of James Yonge's book about the uses of turpentine in medicine:

"Currus triumphalis, è terebinthô, or, An account of the many admirable vertues of oleum terebinthinæ : more particularly, of the good effects produced by its application to recent wounds, especially with respect to the hemorrhagies of the veins, and arteries, and the no less pernicious weepings of the nerves, and lymphaducts : wherein also, the common methods, and medicaments, used to restrain hemorrhagies, are examined, and divers of them censured : and lastly, a new way of amputation, and a speedier convenient method of curing stumps, than that commonly practised, is with divers other useful matters recommended to the military chirurgeon, in two letters : the one to his most honoured, James Pearse, Esq, chirurgeon to His Royal Highness the Duke of York, and chirurgeon general to His Majestie's Navy Royal : the other, to Mr. Thomas Hobbs, chirurgeon in London"

The whole book is 120 pages long with fairly large (say 14 or 16 point in modern terms) print. I think he ran out of steam after coming up with that title. :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

DAY 40: This is one of many plates by Mallet and it features Cuba and Jamaica. I set it up on an 11" x 17", but I may offer a smaller version later if I can confirm the original size. PoD found that the original imprint area is aprroximately 4"x6" so I've redone the pdf with two up on a letter sized page with crop marks. Thank you!

1683-JamaicaMallet.jpg

1683-CubaAndJamaica.pdf

Day 43: 1689 - The Humble Address. Called 'The Humble Address' the full title is 'To the King and Queen's Most Excellent Majesties. The Humble Address and Petition of the Governour, Council, and Convention of Representatives of the People of Your Majesties Collony of the Massachusetts, in New-England'. This one is on a letter sized page and 1.25" should be trimmed off the two sides after printing. Remember, you don't have to cut straight lines on period documents. The printing is often off-centered and cantered to one side or another and pages are not trimmed square.

1689-TheHumbleAddress.jpg

1689-TheHumbleAddress.pdf

DAY 45: 1719 - The Original London Post or Heathcot's Intelligence; Being a Collection of the Freshest Advices Foreign and Domestick. This is a single page from an October 7th copy of the paper with text taken from the book Robinson Crusoe. I wish I had more, but it's a great page. It's set up on latter paper with crop marks.

1719-heathcot-robinson-crusoe.jpg

1719-heathcotsintelligence.pdf