FTPI 2011 Forms & Information

Lily Alexander

On behalf of the Friends of Fort Taylor and the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion, Ahoy!!!

The dates for this year's Invasion will be December 2-4, 2011.

Registration forms are now available. http://iammaryread.c...lunteerReg.docx

If you have any issues opening the file, email me and I'll send a copy in another format. Please see the attachments at the bottom for the Event Participant Guidelines and the Black Powder Safety Rules

To ensure a quick and painless check-in upon arrival, all participants are required to register in advance. One form is necessary for each individual. If you are planning on attending or participating (battles, living history demo’s, etc…) in any event inside Fort Taylor, please take a few minutes to fill out our registration form and return it to me by email lilyalexander@frontiernet.net or fax (877) 643-3874.

Due to increased cost of hosting an event in a State Park, there is now a $5.00 registration fee due for all participants over the age of 16. This fee is payable upon check-in.

Once your registration form has been submitted, you will receive an email confirmation that includes encampment information for both those camping and those staying outside the Fort, along with other important information. The deadline for registration forms is November 1st. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us: jaisomers@yahoo.com or lilyalexander@frontiernet.net

We thank you and appreciate your participation and are looking forward seeing you at the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion.

FTPI Black Powder Safety Rules 11.pdf

FTPI Event Participant Guidlines 11.pdf

Edit: Additional cannon procedures 10/24/2011

Additional cannon procedures.pdf

We hope you will also join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook....30021940343737/

Fort taylor Pyrate Invasion Website: http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

YHS,

Captain Scarlett Jai

Event Coordinator

jaisomers@yahoo.com

Lily Alexander

Camp Mom

lilyalexander@frontiernet.net

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

FTPFbanner.jpg

If you would like to help us spread the word about this years event, feel free to use this banner, created by William Red Wake, in your signatures, websites, facebook pages, etc. Thank you all for your continued support.

For those that may be bringing artillery pieces this year, we have some addition cannon procedures for you.

Additional cannon procedures we will be using this year

1. Fort Taylor Park Blackpowder Safety Rules call for minimum four person cannon crews. Besides the three persons required to work the front of the gun, work the vent, and powder monkey; a battery commander will be designated and expected to oversee the operation of cannons firing as a group, and will be counted as the required fourth person.

2. The Fort Taylor Park Blackpowder Safety Rules for maximum charge weights are heavy maximums. The charges we will be using are approximately 2/3 of these maximums at the most, with the 1F blackpowder the Fort will be supplying.

3. Cannon cartridges will be rolled in quantity only for that day’s battle and or demonstrations, at a rolling party in the morning after the artillery safety meeting as in the past. At least 6 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil are expected to form the cartridge around a wooden or PVC former that is well sized to the bore of the gun. Inadequate amount of foil and poorly fitting cartridges have been identified as a safety risk.

4. We will be including “brushing the vent” and “wet and dry sponging” in the loading drill in order to conform with the National Cannon Safety Rules, also known as the AAA, or Artilleryman Rules.

5. Sponges need to have end disks of material similar to the cylindrical covering to completely moisten and dry the end of the bore as well as the walls. That is, a paint roller on a stick works fine, but needs a furry end cap.

6. Persons working the front of a gun and powder monkeying the charges need to have thick leather heavy duty welding type gloves. Persons working the vent need at least lighter weight all leather gloves. Additional personal protection needs to be considered by any person working a gun, such as eye and ear protection, and clothing of natural fibers or leather.

7. To conform with the Fort Taylor Park Blackpowder Safety Rules requiring approval of the gun drill, all cannon crews should send a representative to attend the Friday morning artillery safety meeting to discuss and/or demonstrate their loading drill and misfire procedure.

8. Each cannon and its associated loading tools need to be inspected for conformity with the Fort Taylor Park Blackpowder Safety Rules before firing at the event by the persons designated by the Fort Chief Safety Officer.

9. We intend to be firing with linstock and there will be a supply of quickmatch for quill primers. We will have available some vent brushes, but crews will have to supply their own second sponge for wet and dry sponging.

Additional cannon procedures.pdf

Can you perhaps post the registration form in any format besides ".docx"?

Microsoft Word/Office 2010 or later is required to open the ".docx" format, and while I could open it at work (where I have Office 2010), I am unable to get to the web site (blocked by at work web filters) and I only have a very old version of Microsoft Word at home. PDF format, or preferably the older ".doc" format would be best. Thanks.

Michael_banner.jpg

Registration forms are now due. Even if you are still unsure of your attendance, please get your forms in.

http://iammaryread.c...lunteerReg.docx

Here's a list of those that have not sent in registration forms: If you sent one in but did not get an email confirmation in return, you are not registered. Please contact me.

Fairge Iolair:

Callenish Gunner - Wall Tent/great hall/ark

Salty - Wall Tent

Hamish - Wall Tent

Mercury:

Captain Jim - Double Oar House

Patti - Hotel

Morgan - Double Oar House

Tommy - Double Oar House

Natalie - Hotel

Emily - Hotel

2011 FTPI Updated Encampment Information

Living History – A vital component to this year’s event is living history. All crews are required to present their own demonstrations. They will be taking place throughout the day except during the battle. This is meant to be an enjoyable learning experience for our visitor’s. Anything you can contribute from a historical perspective will greatly add to the public’s experience. Crew Captains and/or representatives, please provide a list of demonstrations your crew plans on providing and return to Lily by Nov 15th.

Email: lilyalexander@frontiernet.net or fax 1-877-643-FTPI (3874)

Settlin’ O’ Scores – Taking place throughout the day will be Settlin’ O’ Scores. All fighting pairs are welcome and encouraged to take out your revenge on each other in the ring. Signup sheet will be available during the morning meetings and at Lily’s tent.

Fires and Braziers – Fire pits and cook camps are only being allowed in designated areas and will be shared by all members of the encampment. You are welcome and encouraged to use braziers at any time of day. In the period encampment, coleman’s may only be used during the hours when the park is not open to visitors. Fire pits will not be allowed in the modern camping area. However, braziers and coleman’s can be used at any time.

Firewood/charcoal – Firewood is being provided for your use. If you bring your own, PLEASE DO NOT BRING BAYWOOD. Charcoal is not being provided but can be easily obtained locally.

Showers – Hot showers will be provided for your use. As a requirement from the Fort, it is mandatory that we only use “Green Products”. A supply of Dr Brohners Soap will be available for your use. If you plan on bringing your own, please look for the “checkmark” image on all labels. A list of approved products can be found at the following website: www.greenseal.org The showers will be in operation from 7:00pm – 7:00am during the encampment.

Duty Roster – There are a small amount of camp duties that will need to be performed this year. Gate Watch (6:00pm – 3:00am) and Town Crier (10:00am – 5:00pm). Gate watch shifts will be 2 hours in length and two people per watch are recommended. Town Crier shifts are 2 hours in length with one person minimum and two people per shift are recommended. All crew captains and/or representatives will be provided a list of the positions needed to be filled one week prior to the festival. It will be up to the crew captains/representatives to fill these required positions and return to Lily at check in.

Shipping Items - The Fort will not be accepting packages this year. Any and all items that need to be shipped in advance must be sent to Scarlett Jai. Please contact her directly for shipping information and to let her know that something may be on its way. Email: jaisomers@yahoo.com

Firewood/charcoal – Firewood is being provided for your use. If you bring your own, PLEASE DO NOT BRING BAYWOOD. Charcoal is not being provided but can be easily obtained locally.

Out of curiosity, what is "BAYWOOD", and why should it not be brought ?

Red bay trees, common in southern coastal areas, are being infested by beetles causing some kind of fungus. I guess the Park Service doesn't want to introduce wood infected with anything into the Keys.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Re: Firewood. There is also something up north called the emerald ash borer. It's killed off a lot of trees, and is another reason why you're not supposed to transport firewood from state to state. Basically, transporting plants & animals from place to place can be as bad as a plague carrier going from village to village. One infected plant/critter can wipe out a whole population or cost a ton of money in preventive measures (we had to spray a _lot_ of stuff on our apples because of these issues when I was growing up).