Nita Treasure

Ahoy mates! I just received my reprint of Cascabel's article series "Flintlocks 101", originally printed in "No Quarter Given". This document is full of useful and informative tips and lessons on everything "flintlock". It's great for beginners and old salty dogs to boot. I plan on ordering more copies to share with my crew mates. A lot of information in an easy to read document. Yes, it easy to read but also very, very informative! I couldn't put it down until I had finished reading the entire document. If you have any questions about black powder or flintlocks, you'll find Cascabel's flintlock/black powder "handbook" very helpful. Thanks, Cascabel, for teaching this lass more about black powder and flintlocks. Looking forward to seeing you again at Pirates In Paradise - Key West, FL.

As I was ordering additional copies, it dawned on me that these reprints - printed on nice, heavy, parchment-like paper - will make great holiday stocking stuffers. Definitely a gift that will keep on giving for years to come!

Nita Treasure

Edited by Nita Treasure

Nita Treasure

• 2 weeks later...

Cascabel -

I received my copy this eve and read through it whilst churning me wash in the tub. :unsure:

What an eye opener on the details. A copy of this publication should be included whith every flintlock that's sold.

I'm now going to have a fresh look and re-examine the Pennsylvania Rifle I never had much success with and has been a wall hanger for too many years.

Thanks for making this publication available.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Mr. Cascabel, could I request a copy as well sir? What could we barter/trade? I have some Spanish Colonial firesteels (Chispa's), and made some lead ladles for pouring /casting ball (small ones for doing 2-3 .50 cal size, or 1-2 .62-.75 cal. size). Let me know what you're most interested in.

Bo

Mr. Cascabel, could I request a copy as well sir? What could we barter/trade? I have some Spanish Colonial firesteels (Chispa's), and made some lead ladles for pouring /casting ball (small ones for doing 2-3 .50 cal size, or 1-2 .62-.75 cal. size). Let me know what you're most interested in.

Bo

I could use a good firesteel !! Send me a PM.....

>>>> Cascabel

• 2 weeks later...

I just recieved my copy of Flintlocks 101 by post. This is an amazing collection of knowledge it has taken me more than 20 years to learn on my own. Cascabel has done all of us a great service by compling this information into and easy to read and easy to teach format. Even though many of us know this stuff from our own experience, it is often that we are unable to articulate the knowledge to others or we leave things out by defaul;t (assuming "everyone knows this"...etc.). There are even a few things in here I didn't know, or did differently that have been erroneous or more time consuming. This guide will enable me to help others enter the world of flintlocks by having them sit at my table and read the guide before we ever load a cartridge. Anyone that is considering getting into flintlocks, or aiding others into the same needs to get a copy and use it, review it, and pass the knowledge forward.

Thank you cascabel for the enormous effort and for producing a fine instrument for learning. As far as lesson plans go, you have recieved an 'A' for this assignment! I've seen seasoned teachers' lesson plans that don't come close to the necessary variables needed for an effective lesson. You should rightly be proud of this accomplishment.

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

Try any place that balances tires. They may have bulk used tire weights they just throw away and these often are lead. We used to get lead from places like these many a MANY year ago. They were FREE back then as it actually saved them money to have them carted away. Not sure if that still is a good source.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy Cascabel,

Be sure to bring a supply of Flintlocks 101 to PIP & FTPI. I gave many of the copies I purchased to my crewe mates and they were as happy with the content as I. See you soon!

Nita Treasure

I'll bring some along with me if I don't run out of room....

>>>> Cascabel

• 4 weeks later...

Ahoy shipmate! Mayhaps ye would barter a copy of yer booklet for a custom Letter of Marque or a Royal Pardon from her Majesty? I've got Queen Elizabeth 1 and King George 1, 2 and 3 ready to go, If yer interested jest say so and shout me yer pirate name, name of yer ship, how many crew and cannon ye have, any special dates, and I'll makes it up and send it to ye in a mailin tube so that the wax seals don't get broken. Fair weather and followin Seas, IrishJack

Ahoy shipmate! Mayhaps ye would barter a copy of yer booklet for a custom Letter of Marque or a Royal Pardon from her Majesty? I've got Queen Elizabeth 1 and King George 1, 2 and 3 ready to go, If yer interested jest say so and shout me yer pirate name, name of yer ship, how many crew and cannon ye have, any special dates, and I'll makes it up and send it to ye in a mailin tube so that the wax seals don't get broken. Fair weather and followin Seas, IrishJack

Sounds fine to me. Send me a PM, and we can take care of the details....

>>>> Cascabel

looking for a good source for melting down lead igots for cannon ball mold? anotherwards looking for lead at a bulk rate? any pirate blokes here know of a good source?

You could always use the lead from old automotive batteries.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

• 2 weeks later...

Received Cascabel's "Flintlocks 101" just in time for Christmas. Buxom Anne Marie (B.A.M.) wants a Queen Anne pistol (figures), so she can be a part of the battle at Fort Taylor's Pirate Invasion next year. Guess she'll have to change from B.A.M. to Bam Bam. Previewed the instructional before wrapping it and found it to be a great educational tool. Well done. Thank you Cascabel for the quick delivery in time for Christmas.

D.B. Couper

Received Cascabel's "Flintlocks 101" just in time for Christmas. Buxom Anne Marie (B.A.M.) wants a Queen Anne pistol (figures), so she can be a part of the battle at Fort Taylor's Pirate Invasion next year. Guess she'll have to change from B.A.M. to Bam Bam. Previewed the instructional before wrapping it and found it to be a great educational tool. Well done. Thank you Cascabel for the quick delivery in time for Christmas.

Amazing !!! It got to you in only a couple of days. I guess the Postal service is not all that bad.....

• 1 month later...

Ahoy Cascabel!

Still sharing the news about your great resource, Flintlocks 101. I'm sending you an order for 10 more so I can continue spreading the word to new and experienced black powder enthusiasts alike. Please tell the lovely Lady Jaye I said hello!

Nita Treasure

Ahoy Cascabel!

Still sharing the news about your great resource, Flintlocks 101. I'm sending you an order for 10 more so I can continue spreading the word to new and experienced black powder enthusiasts alike. Please tell the lovely Lady Jaye I said hello!

Thanks for the repeat order, and the compliment !! Jaye said to tell you hello, and thanks for thinking of her....

• 1 month later...

Recieved my copy of Cascabel's Flintlock 101 today......Having done CW & late period buckskinning I have allways shot precussioin of some sort.....but never flint. Haven't taken time to read thrugh all of it yet....will tonight... thumming through it this is one of the most informative guides for shooting I've seen in a while. Am really looking forward to diggin in & learning all I can about flintlocks. It got here fast too I might add (shipping was fast).

Thanks Cascabel........... I'll enjoy this one.

Pegleg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Your Flintlock 101 paper is so well written and easy to understand - I've said it before and I say it again.... THANKS for putting it all together in one document that says it all! It's my "go to" reference when someone expresses interest in learning about black powder. Thanks Cascabel - you're the best!

Nita Treasure