Chesapeake Bay Pyrats' Association

Capt. Blue Eyes

I'm sure this one will irk the CBPA or Chesapeake Bay Pilot's Association.

But, why not a Chesapeake Bay Pyrats' Association?

I drive a schooner on the Bay. She has nine guns, mostly swivels and all with a one-inch bore.

I do shoot at other boats (mostly power boats) when they piss me off by throwin' up big wakes and tossin' the little sailboats around or doin' other dumb shit like not giving way to vessels under sail.

I also attack towns. Havre de Grace got it earlier this year when I figured out how to fit my boat under the railroad bridge and join the Lock House Pirates' weekend. (Had an outstandingly WONDERFUL time!)

Tolchester got a broadside on the way to Rock Hall Pirates this year, too. We didn't break any of their windows, so they invited us in for mudslides. They got a couple more guns on our way back to the Bay.

We still made it to Rock Hall on time for Friday's Pirates and Wenches, but had to fire our broadside from just outside the jetty 'cuz I had the guns loaded too hot to shoot inside and didn't want to be payin' for any windows.

If you're on the Kalamari Nickel (heehee) and you were headin' south near the Sassassafrass River last Oct. when a northbound schooner squeezed ya' over to the edge of the shipping channel and fired a salute at ya', It was me. ...didn't want ya' to feel like ya' passed by unnoticed, ya' know.

I'd be tellin' some more here... but, some of it could get me in trouble if it turned out I wasn't among friends. Let's just leave it at sayin' the British were not the last to fire on Fort McHenry.

So, how about it' Bay sailors (and power boaters) Wanna' turn pirate??? The Bay's been too long without a pirate fleet and it's time to hoist the colors again. We've got all winter to work out mischief we can get into for next year's "Pirate Season."

Edited by Capt. Blue Eyes

OOPS!!!

Hey... the waters weren't THAT restricted (if you were on the Nykel at that time). I mean, there's lots of deep water on both sides of the bouy around there.

And...you guys were under power, too.

btw... I LOVE the Nykel. She is a sweet and totally kewl ship. I got to get aboard her for a "deck tour" when she was in Lewes a couple of years ago and she's absolutely astounding. (A perfect pirate ship, btw.)

as to the unanswered hail...... Um..... I may have been too busy loadin' my cannon when you guys called. (I was single-handing ya' know.) Oh, yeah.... and I don't have an auto-pilot so there was quite a bit of "multi-tasking" goin' on, ya' know.

I take it you're on the Bay somewhere? Most likely sailing?

"sqeezin" MUCH larger ships that maneuver with difficulty to the edge of a channel then trying to claim right of way..........

leaving the helm to fire a cannon..............

firing canons at ships "doin dumb shit".............

"guns loaded too hot"........

"Tolchester got a broadside on the way to Rock Hall Pirates this year, too. We didn't break any of their windows, so they invited us in for mudslides. They got a couple more guns on our way back to the Bay."....... please, please say it was the following morning and neither the vessel or guns were being operated after consuming alcohol

Ahhhh.... Dutchman,

Ummm... Kalmar isn't that much larger 'n me. And, probably only four foot deeper in draft. And, there was pretty much the whole Bay to maneuver. Besides, they applauded after their 'salute' 'n ya' know how we all just love a happy audience!

Leaving helm to fire cannon... Well, I had to leave the helm to load it, too! After all... I was single-handin' ya' know. And, it's not as bad as the time the dink was so full of water it was swamping during a storm and I had to haul it alongside, jump aboard and pull the drain plug and then climb back aboard the schooner and get her back on course. Single-handin' again, ya' know. When it all turns to poopie out there, ya' gotta' deal with it an' I'm not the sort that whines for help.

As to the boats doin' dumb shit... Hey, if ya' don't fire a cannon now and then, they won't respect ya'. (hahah just a little play on ol' Blackbeard's remark)

As to guns loaded too hot..... mmmmm..... yeah, sometimes I get excited. Me best powder measure has been me hand and I sometimes wonder if I lost count... Lemee see, was that one or two hands full? So, to be on the safe side, we "test" 'em where we shouldn't be breakin' anybody's windows.

...and....to Tolchester. A fine toast (and salute) to them. They were wonderful to us (even if we did have an inside man [actually a woman] in planning our "attack").

...and... alcohol.... I think mine was non-alcoholic. Might have been one of those infamous Mormon Mudslides or something..... Anyway, I was too drunk to remember by then!!! (yaaaar!!!!) [To set record straight...there's no alcohol use by capt or crew when boat is underway and there is generally an "eight hours between bottle and throttle" rule in effect. However, at dock or at anchor, it's drink 'til ya' drop!]

Hey, Dutch... Ya' gotta' take a trip on my ship. You'd enjoy it and I'm sure it would help get the edge off ya' regardin' what's crazy and what's fun.

As it is right now, I'm afraid to even mention some or our "prize" taking endeavors!!!

So far for next year, I'll be doin' Fell's Point Privateers, Havre de Grace Lockhouse, and then blastin' Tolchester again on my way to Rock Hall Pirates. Yer welcome to ride along!

master blue eyes.... don't know how much time you have spent on the water here in the Chesapeake or what reenacting circles you have run with in the past but if the above said actions are to be thought of as the norm then i would like to remind you of the safety precautions that you seem to be neglecting.alcohol and operating water craft or cannon should not mix and measuring powder by hand/loading too hot of a charge...ill base my statement off that when i say that i doubt other safe cannon procedures are followed either. im not trying to run you off or captain your ship but accidents can and do happen even when safety is a concern.i just dont want to see a fellow pirate or his crew hurt or endangered by what can easily be prevented.

edited to say i love fun myself and have been known to tip the bottle up at times myself :)

Edited by adam cyphers

Here at metal wackers forge.....um....well... we wack metal.

http://www.colonialseaport.org/

http://www.creweofthearchangel.com/

http://www.blackbeardscrew.org/

Somewhere... and I really do not know where.

I seem to have opened a door to criticism muchly undeserved.

If you'd read the posts, there is no alcohol consumption aboard when underway nor in the 8 or more hours prior to any departure or operation. That is an absolute.

As to the measuring powder by hand... I've been handling that stuff for about 40 years. Some of those years were with three different branches of the U.S. military. The hand measure of powder (for firing "blank" shots) is a rather accurate means -- once you've done it enough. Once, a friend who is a black powder champion shooter and gun maker, did the "scale test." That is, I'd measure out my usual amount and we'd pop it on the digital scale to see what they averaged in weight. They were extremely consistent. Enough so that I'd be confident in loading that way to fire live shots, which we sometimes do at the cannon range.

Now, before you confuse my cannon with something that gets bought on an internet site and dragged off to a reenactment somewhere. Mine are very, very heavy walled for their size. They were properly designed and are machined from good steel. They've actually been inspected by an expert from Edgewater Arsnel who found the barrel thickness to bore diameter ratio to be much heavier than the modern artillary pieces his outfit engineers. You simply could not load enough black powder and shot in them to get them to burst. They are (unlike many I've seen at the reenactments) very safe and very purpose built for the job at hand. There are numerous and strict safety rules in effect for the storage of powder, the amount brought out when the guns are being loaded, etc. It is very safe. And all state and federal laws are being followed absolutely.

When towns or ports are being saluted with a broadside, it's usually at their invitation -- this means that someone in charge there has asked us to put on a show for them.

While it seemed this could be a place to make some friends that I might also see out on the Bay or visit in this port or that, I seem to have only attracted a couple of self-appointed critics that don't let the facts get in the way of a chance to pontificate.

I mean, where was the "Oh, Hi, Welcome aboard!!!" ??? "I'm usually sailing around the Southern end of the Patapsco," or "Do you ever get to Georgetown or Chesapeake City?"

Nope. Never happened. ...and, I don't have time to play ticky-tack debate on this that or the other that you want to jump into or gang up on. I don't do that kind of crap to other people and I'm not havin' it done to me. So, if that's all Pyracy.com is about, then I'm in the wrong place.

By the way, do either of you even own a boat? Or cannon?

Actually... I don't even want to know.

just asking a few questions.if i was remiss in saying ahoy or good morning my apologies friend.like i said above not trying to run you off or captain your ship.just trying to make sure no one gets hurt.we are much more than the impression you have taken.again my apologies.

Thanks, capt adam

You're a metal whacker?

Now, there's an art close to me own heart and hands!

What kind of stuff do you make?

I keep toying with the idea of makin' a pistol the old fashioned way, but forge welds on today's steel don't seem as strong. It'd have to be a non-shooter, I'd think.

Still, it'd be cool to have a hand-made Queen Anne.

usually whatever catches my fancy or whatever im paid to make...id say smelt your own steel or get some wrought from somewhere...unless im mistaken you can still order it from somewhere in europe.