Voyageur caps?

Capt. Trueblood

http://wickedwoollens.blogspot.com/2009/09/dutch-sailors-cap.html

Trueblood -

I couldn't get to the museum site link listed by this knitter.

It would appear to be a generic type of hand knit woolen cap called by various names depending on its national origin or port-of-call where the cap may have been obtained.

Jas. Hook .

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I wish I could base this on documentation and not just gut feeling...

But the voyageur hats were still a pretty new thing to the French at that time, so I would be pretty skeptical of any English adopting it that early. Probably later in the 18th century, but I would doubt it for GAoP.

Michael_banner.jpg

I've never seen any illustration of, or unambiguous textual reference to, an English seaman of the GAoP in a voyageur cap.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Dang.... now I have to find the picture again.... (well I had to look for it again before PiP anyway...because I'm going to make one.)

OK.... not exactly a voyageur cap, but a slightly longer cap than a Manmouth, that folds down in the back (and NO tassle...)

Thanks All,

I personally am not a big fan of tassels. However, I was getting ready to start making a tassel-free Voyageur cap for this winter as they are very versatile and can be worn several different ways. I just didn't know if they would be PC for a pirate of non-French persuasion

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

• 7 months later...