Peace Tie

Louisiana Jeff

It means that any swords or knives need to be secured to the sheath or belt so that they can't be drawn. My guess is this is due to too many drunken louts swinging their swords about or some such nonsense.

At any rate, how you do this depends on your sword and sheath. But essentially, you want to tie the handle of your sword to its sheath or your belt with a bit of rope or anything that will secure it properly.

RHJMap.jpg

its a good idea to get this one cleared up early as it could have you spending time explaining yourself to local constables. I have not heard of a pirate reenactor being arrested, but there have been lots of close calls and irritated officials over it. if you are doing pub crawls and there seems to be a grey area go with the old rule of "when in doubt- leave it out" as in locked away someplace safe. ok let the flames begin-

its a good idea to get this one cleared up early as it could have you spending time explaining yourself to local constables. I have not heard of a pirate reenactor being arrested, but there have been lots of close calls and irritated officials over it. if you are doing pub crawls and there seems to be a grey area go with the old rule of "when in doubt- leave it out" as in locked away someplace safe. ok let the flames begin-

That's my thinking, might be better off leaving it home until I learn the ropes a little better.

Most of the Ren-Faires that have control points at their entrance and will handle the actual peace ting themselves so they have a visual quick reface of all that enter via public to distinguish them from authorized performers on the grounds that also have some quick means of visual Id on their kit. Same for shooting or firing demos weapons that are cheeked by a safety officer and some sort of visual pass issued to those that have meet and passed safety check and will be authorized to shoot in designated firing lines.

Edited by Bright

It's pretty straightforward. A lot of places don't let you tie your own. They want it zip tied, not tied with a rope or piece of leather. I zip tie my own before going so it will pass inspection but still look unobtrusive.

I've never had to tie for a pub crawl but that's because I have a purposely dull sword for public appearances. I leave the sharp ones home because I can't pull them out anyway. With my dulled hanger it's no big deal and no one in 30 years has given me crap about it. It's not even in a sheath.

Sharp weapons, just like real guns, will always set off the security folks and freak them out. If you want no problems go with a dulled sword and a replica gun or one that has the flint removed (learned that trick from Commodore Swab here).

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

You can get the zip ties in just about any color that you want, so if you prefer a black, brown or red, you can buy a color that won't stand out at as much and satisfy the most safety conscious organizer. It's also a good idea to acquaint yourself with the safety officers at all events, whether they 'peace tie' or not. It keeps everything friendly and you create a dialogue that's just as important for safety.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

We have what we call "dog soldiers" at most of the shoots I go to or have went to. I always volunteer and identify myself as a first responder and Po Po guy in case of emergency. Sometimes helpful to the event overall, but I have gotten a few sideways glances. As always, err on the side of safety and caution says I....

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

You can get the zip ties in just about any color that you want, so if you prefer a black, brown or red, you can buy a color that won't stand out at as much and satisfy the most safety conscious organizer.

Yeah, those day-glow fluorescent hues will certainly clash... unless of course you're outfitted that way.

Edited by landlubbersanonymous

alot of rules in public events are governed by the insurance companies... pistols and long guns that can fire projectiles, swords and knives that can be sharp ?? all can be used for injury and/or death... a scene of inebriated morons running around with guns and swords with women and children milling about ( and lawyers lurking in the shadows ) makes for a bad scenario in the eyes of the underwriter.... no insurance, no event... plain and simple

some events will not even allow ANY weapon at all !! here again, rules of the insurance underwriter... zip ties and sometimes a stout leather thong ...

some events will not even allow ANY weapon at all !! here again, rules of the insurance underwriter... zip ties and sometimes a stout leather thong ...

There was some dialog about "thongs" when I came on board...

https://pyracy.com/in...75

Actually, this thong business doesn't bother us so much as the whole "Brazilian wax" thing.

Actually, this thong business doesn't bother us so much as the whole "Brazilian wax" thing.

Ahhh, Landlubber... now you've touched on the Brazilian wax. Ai, Caramba wax found deep in the Amazon rain forest is an alternate peace-tie. When applied between sword blade and scabbard it forms a bond resembling epoxy, hence the Portuguese name Ai, Caramba which comes from the expression/oath "Ai, Caramba!" used when trying to remove ones sword, dagger or pistol after application. Brazilian wax is not recommended for pirates

Jas. Hook :rolleyes: :D

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Ahhh, Landlubber... now you've touched on the Brazilian wax. Ai, Caramba wax found deep in the Amazon rain forest is an alternate peace-tie. When applied between sword blade and scabbard it forms a bond resembling epoxy, hence the Portuguese name Ai, Caramba which comes from the expression/oath "Ai, Caramba!" used when trying to remove ones sword, dagger or pistol after application. Brazilian wax is not recommended for pirates

Jas. Hook :rolleyes: :D

Thanks Jas. I'll forward to the missus. (And the header shall read "Off the Hook".)

I've had more than one drunken fool go for my sword or pistol.

Some years back I had a Brazillian grab my pistol from my belt, before I knew it they were running down the walk way with it.

Needless to say it wasn't loaded - my biggest concern was that it would get dropped to the ground or flung / disappear into the ocean.

So between that and playing the Drunken Pyrate Game with Talderoy & Captain Daveys in New Orleans and Mission stealing stuff from me at PiP one year - I try to keep the important stuff tied down ( to my belt with a leather shoelace ) or locked away in the trunk of my car.

Mission stealing stuff from me at PiP one year - I try to keep the important stuff tied down

Is that th' same as you an' Mission "tyin' one on...... "..... You know... kinda like at PiP that year wit alla th' mead..... :P

Anyone want to help me steal Stynky's car in Key West this year? (It must be easy, they do it all the time in police procedurals.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Anyone want to help me steal Stynky's car in Key West this year? (It must be easy, they do it all the time in police procedurals.)

Neva' goin' happen. Stynky secures his car with wire-ties. :rolleyes::D

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I zip tied it and asked at the gate, no one was checking. Had a great time, only whacked my wife & daughter in the legs once each. Sitting was a problem, my belt did not lend itself to moving the sword around for comfort. I may be looking towards a baldric in the near future.