LacePunk?

michaelsbagley

For anyone who is connected to me on Facebook... It has become obvious that I have been pretty interested in miniature wargaming in the last many months.... And for those who aren't linked to me... Well I have been painting and collecting a lot of 25mm (1 inch) miniatures over the last many months, to tabletop wargame with.

As one gets more involved in a hobby (or at least I do), new forums regarding that hobby are sought and joined etc. etc

On one tabletop miniature gaming forum I am reasonably active on, SteamPunk (Or "Victorian Science Fiction" as they seem to persist in calling it, or VSF for short) is a pretty popular style for tabletop miniature gaming... But lately, I am starting to notice an increasing amount of conversations about "LacePunk". As anyone here can surely guess, Lacepunk is basically a "tricorn" era influenced fantasy/sci-fi genre. Like Steampunk or VSF, it is loose on history, combining elements of most of the 18th century (and even late 17th century) with fantastical things like clockwork machines more advanced than anything that really existed, and fun things like sailing ships and galleons with air balloons to form "earlier" than reality derigibles.

Anyways, I thought it might be something folks here might be interested in concept wise. Hell, despite my like of Steampunk, I haven't gotten anywhere with my steampunk gear, and am starting to think Lacepunk may be the thing for me, since so much of my existing re-enacting gear can be used, and just added to with extrordinary clockworks etc to make a fun Lacepunk outfit... Or I might just go the easy lazy route, and start collecting minis, and just game in the "Lacepunk" era.

Anyone else hear anything about this? Or interested? Or even just think it is neat?

Skyshipd3M2.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

For some reason I am thinking of Dr Who's Clockwork Man...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I think it sounds like great fun! Makes me think of Dr. Who "Girl in the Fireplace" or, even Adam Ant in lace and warpaint. Where would you dress the part? Steam Punk events? B)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I think it sounds like great fun! Makes me think of Dr. Who "Girl in the Fireplace" or, even Adam Ant in lace and warpaint. Where would you dress the part? Steam Punk events? B)

SteamPunk events would be the obvious choice... At least until it (hopefully) grows into it's own "thing". And I seriously need to get caught up on Dr. Who... :( The Adam Ant suggestion is awesome though! :D

There has been quite a bit of suggestion that the upcoming "Three Musketeers" film being a good starter for this genre. There is use of baroque dirigibles with flame throwers, and I've heard mention of a Submarine type contraption in the film as well.... The Dumas purist in me cringes, but my curiousity over the LacePunk genre is starting to make me interested in this film. Trailor on this link

Michael_banner.jpg

This has me all excited...I could make a LacePunk costume for my horse! LacePunk Highwayman! Stand and Deliver!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Does it require goggles? If so, I want something like an 18th century version of Doc:

back-to-the-future-doc01.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Does it require goggles? If so, I want something like an 18th century version of Doc:

I don't think there are any "rules" or even general conventions yet... So I imagine goggles would work fine... But why not take it a step further and go with a 17th century Plague Mask? :D

Wiki Link for more details

Doctor_Plague_Mask_by_Lara_Mila.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

Oh, I know all about the plague doctor outfit. I thought about putting one together but the masks are extraordinarily expensive and I can only think of one event I attend that has the scale needed for something like this to work. I can't see spending all that money for that. (Plus it would be really hot.)

Rusty, steampunk is basically Victorian styles and steam-operated machinery and practicality combined in a sort of What if/Supposin' the world had happened like this? kind of environment. It's a fantasy re-enactment - a but like the fairy and mermaid re-enactors. (Airship pirates is a forum devoted to the piratical aspects steampunk. Do a Google search for more on it.)

Lacepunk is something new Michael came across that uses 17th c. clothing instead of Victorian clothing. I think.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Although if I did get a plague doctor mask and wore my Patrick Hand original hat...

brown_spy.jpg

Hmm. That alone makes it worth considering...

Mission_banner5.JPG

If you were going to do it, I would think we would want to make it a pale leather and make the nose a bit less than more crooked. I'd really want to go for the Spy v. Spy look as much as I could get away with it. B)

Here is the plague doctor outfit thread in Twill. While that only shows one example of the outfit, a Google Image search will turn up all sorts of varieties of the mask and outfit. Surely a black spy-like outfit would work...

Mission_banner5.JPG

I think when you venture into the fantasy realm like this anything is possible. I don't believe most people in the Victorian age ran around in brass goggles. ;)

Bucket boots are cool, but if you're doing PC they're just not right. What you wear when you're re-enacting pirate just depends on your goal. (Well, and the event you choose to attend. But that choice also depends on your goal.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Bucket boots are cool, but if you're doing PC they're just not right.

My point exactly! An opportunity for those of us who endevour towards PC to step out of our buckled shoes and say, " I wear bucket boots now. Bucket boots are cool!"

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

Bucket boots are cool, but if you're doing PC they're just not right.

My point exactly! An opportunity for those of us who endevour towards PC to step out of our buckled shoes and say, " I wear bucket boots now. Bucket boots are cool!"

That's the fun part about Steampunk, (Lacepunk).. and Airship Pyrates... is that it dosen't have to be "period correct"... just fun.

Quite a few of us here do PC Pyrates, but Steampunk lets us do someting else that is fun (and kind of a "break" from Historical accuracy)

it's kinda funny, every-so-often in the Steampunk Forum someone will post "that's not period..." .....the entire thing is not period :D

just have fun with it......

• 6 months later...

For anyone who is connected to me on Facebook... It has become obvious that I have been pretty interested in miniature wargaming in the last many months.... And for those who aren't linked to me... Well I have been painting and collecting a lot of 25mm (1 inch) miniatures over the last many months, to tabletop wargame with.

As one gets more involved in a hobby (or at least I do), new forums regarding that hobby are sought and joined etc. etc

On one tabletop miniature gaming forum I am reasonably active on, SteamPunk (Or "Victorian Science Fiction" as they seem to persist in calling it, or VSF for short) is a pretty popular style for tabletop miniature gaming... But lately, I am starting to notice an increasing amount of conversations about "LacePunk". As anyone here can surely guess, Lacepunk is basically a "tricorn" era influenced fantasy/sci-fi genre. Like Steampunk or VSF, it is loose on history, combining elements of most of the 18th century (and even late 17th century) with fantastical things like clockwork machines more advanced than anything that really existed, and fun things like sailing ships and galleons with air balloons to form "earlier" than reality derigibles.

Anyways, I thought it might be something folks here might be interested in concept wise. Hell, despite my like of Steampunk, I haven't gotten anywhere with my steampunk gear, and am starting to think Lacepunk may be the thing for me, since so much of my existing re-enacting gear can be used, and just added to with extrordinary clockworks etc to make a fun Lacepunk outfit... Or I might just go the easy lazy route, and start collecting minis, and just game in the "Lacepunk" era.

Anyone else hear anything about this? Or interested? Or even just think it is neat?

Skyshipd3M2.jpg

THIS is a super cool pic mate.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the problems that I am having with my Steampunk Airship Pyrate stuff is that it just doesn’t look like what most people think of as how a Pyrate should look. OK... I know that my PC common Sailor/Pyrate stuff doesn’t look like what most people think a Pyrate should look either... (Damn that Jack Sparrow...)

My Steampunk Airship Pyrate has short boots, leggings, bib-front overalls, a collarless shirt w/ corporal stripes and 2 pyratical patches on the shoulders, a long coat with no sleeves and the Columbia's Revenge Skull painted on the back, goggles, a leather flight helmet (or my Bowler) and a ray-gun tucked into the belt. (I also have a cut-down short sword/bowieish knife, but I don't usually wear that (people (Security) get kinda “freaked” about such a large and scary knife) I was trying to figure out what an Airship Pyrate from a semi-Victorian society would look like....

So now, I'm thinking more about “Lacepunk”... I did a web search for more information, and found the war game group that Michael posted about. It appears that the war gamers are where the sub-genera of Lacepunk started from. There were a few post in the Brass Goggles forum, but they kinda got silly and wondered off topic (not the WE ever do that here...) there was a lot of lacy Lolita stuff, and interestingly enough this thread.

I know that it is always “dangerous” to attempt to define something like this, but I'm thinking...

What if we were to play Lacepunk as a kinda alternative time line to the Golden Age of Pyracy. Hey...Floating Golden Age Airships... clockwork multi-shot blunderbusses (blunderbi ? ) … Revolving triple barreled cannons....that sorta thing...

Why the Golden Age of Pyracy ? … Well for pure selfish reasons. If you are anything (kinda sorta) like me, you already have a buncha stuff that's already Pyratical, but you don't wear it anymore. (that pair of Bucket Boots, the velvet Justicorp, the Seinfeld pyrate shirt that someone gave you, and alla the Skull and crossbones stuff that you really like, but can't figure out what to do with it.

The “Challenge” (as I see it) is how to make pyrate garb SO incredibly over the top that it “screams” Lacepunk.

I don't have this all figured out yet, but I'm thinking about it...

Hummm I wonder what the Columbia's Revenge will look like back-dated to the Golden Age...and Lacepunked...

Welllllll. I got fooling around with my 3d program... and "blocked out an earlier version of the Columbia's Revenge.... Now to refine it and start adding alla th' details to it....

ColumbiasRevenge.jpg

Welllllll. I got fooling around with my 3d program... and "blocked out an earlier version of the Columbia's Revenge.... Now to refine it and start adding alla th' details to it....

ColumbiasRevenge.jpg

I think it's a great start. I came across your Steampunk pictures ( they're great) and the others' and yinz have inspired me to create my own Steampunk character and garb. It's coming along beautifully, thanx. B)

• 2 weeks later...

You know, you could go back even a bit further, and hit the Elizabethan age...talk about tons of lace! I've often thought how ironic it was, that so many of those guys back then looked like total fops, but were deadly with swords, and pretty cutthroat with their ambitions.

Love the new mock up for the Columbia's Revenge! Now you just need to get that crusty, lived in look. LOL

Also, since the new Three Musketeers has come out, there are a ton of ideas in there. Loved the movie. Liked that they had fun with the story. So yeah, a GAoP lacepunk persona would be a blast. Which leads me to wonder how I need to adapt my bombadier garb to something a bit more...lacy. B)

Maybe, as time goes along, we could post pictures/drawings and throw out more ideas?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I've been thinking about this.... Airship Pyrate can describe either a kinda Victorian Era, or an Early (Golden Age) Steampunked Pyrate.....So it isn't a very specific title...

Lace Punk does an OK job of describing a kinda Steampunked Baroqueish sorta setting/time... But Pyrate Punk describes a more specific Steampunked Baroqueish setting/time and what it is... (and everyone knows that by adding “Punk” to the end of a time period makes it a brand-new genre)

Golden Age Pyrate Punk is just to cumbersome...and GAPP just doesn’t work either. Nor does EPAP... Early Period Airship Pyrates.... And anyway: Pyrate Punk has a kinda nice “ring” to it.....

And well.... this IS the Pyracy Pub...

So what do you think?

A: Just not worry about it,

or...

B: Go for Baroque (sorry, couldn't help myself.)... and use Pyrate Punk for Steampunked Baroqueish Golden Age Airship Pyrates?

eagh eagh...> Eye can see it now...some convention for Pyrate Punks with laser blunderbuss and mechanized glowin the dark bucket boots ~

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."