A trip to London

Iron Jon

I will in the UK at the end of the month visiting London and several other cities for a couple of weeks. The greatest part of the time will be in the city of London. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit relating to pirates or piracy. We will be seeing all the usual museums and tourist sights so I was looking for some out of the way shops, exhibits, or attractions that would be of interest. I see that there's a Captain Kidd exhibit at the London Museum Docklands when we'll be there, any other things of this sort going on? How about places to purchase period correct replicas and items? Any ideas???

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Are you there on the 24th of September? If so there is a pirate educational day at the Museum of London. I should be there and I believe one Mr Foxe is speaking.

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/London-Wall/Whats-on/Events/eventDetails.htm?eventID=3101

Other than that theres the National Maritime Museum, Execution Dock, and if you want some period examples of artifacts from the age of piracy theres the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Royal Armouries at the Tower of London.

What other cities are you going too?

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

I would have loved to be there for that but I'll be arriving a few days later. I already planned a few day trips outside of London by bus and train since I won't have a car. We will have a few extra hours to explore in Bath, Canterbury, Oxford, Edinburgh, and Paris.

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Take the bus to Oxford (cheaper by far than the train) go see The Pitt Rivers Museum, especially the Top upstairs gallery(Weapons and armour), hit the Museum of Scientific Instruments (Next to the Bodlein Library).

Waterfields bookseller down near Magdalen is an old school second hand bookshop worth checking out (Aaah the smell....) Blackwells is good for new books

Then there's shed loads of decent pubs and lots of student girls....

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Thanks for the tips for Oxford. I should have time for at least one of the museums. I'm doing the bus trip which also includes Warwick Castle and Stratford on Avon.

Jonathan Washbourne

Feel free to take photos of any period surgical instruments you see in the museums for me. :)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Feel free to take photos of any period surgical instruments you see in the museums for me. :)

I already bought some extra memory cards for the camera !

Jonathan Washbourne

• 2 weeks later...

Just my opinion but, Warwick town is nice and the cathedral is well worth a mooch but Warwick Castle is a bloody expensive tourist trap designed to part you from as much of your hard earned cash as possible, it's run by Tussaud's (Of wax work fame) it leans heavily towardsthe Historylite scheme of things. But like I said , just my opinion.....Nice trebuchet though.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Just in case anyone else is reading this thread, the event on the 24th at the MoL Docklands has been cancelled.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

yeah bit gutted about that but going down for the day anyway so I can see the Captain Kidd exhibit. Going to go to the National Maritime Museum after that to check out what they have too.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...