Portable Cannon Mounts

MarkG

I keep seeing rendezvouser with small cannons on folding, portable mounts. I have never seen a period illustration of anything like these. Does anyone know if they are period (and period)?

Here is one example. It can be fired flat against the ground or raised up.

248b337149e5981cd3a63b7641dd1d33_8.jpga9641a00778aa6e80612171b7c302242_5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no see everyone . Been in the PI working on my dream. Cheers and Greetings Captain Cascabel . Here is a look-see of some of my cannon gear. Larger pics as requested. I hope they are some ideas of use to someone in these photos. Obviously my cannons , swivels and mounts are not period correct., nor do I claim them to be. These are actually shooters not just event noise makers. It is fun to beat up on old TV's hot water heaters and cars sometimes u know.., therefore these are set up to be safe portable and fun. Always be sure to follow safe cannoneering practices when live firing. You can live to fire another day that-a-way.

TropicoSwivel2011.JPG

TropicoSwivel2023.JPGTropicoSwivel2021.JPG

TropicoSwivel2034.JPG

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Well sir ., price on anything here is cheap The problem is the general public is not supposed to have black powder. Sadly my swivels may never fire again .,unless I can figure a way to use another propellant safely? I brought them here mainly for decorative purposes for the pirate themed scuba shop we are building. I did however ship 2 Hern 3" ordinance rifles here in 3/4 scale for the purpose of decorating the sea wall. These will be a bit out of the ordinaire as they will be mounted in Naval carriages. However being much bigger we will plumb them for propane and use them as NOISE MAKERS *Grinning* I saw a post a year or two ago where someone on the board did use propane ., I wish that person wanted a vacation in the PI. I will look for the post and try to learn from it and everything else I can find. I will keep the board posted as my progress begins on that project as well as the rest of the pirate theme gets underway. We just finished building the Manor so the rest will begin pretty soon .

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

• 5 months later...

Mark- returning to this topic. The pic you have looks very similar to a French 'disappearing carriage' as shown in the old Sketchbook 56 series on the French and Indian War. Supposedly, this was a carriage that would allow you to collapse the gun behind a wall or revetment in order to reload in safety. All that said, the books were published years ago and much of the info has been debunked. Nevertheless, they give easy and cheap intro to the period and are still used by people who don't want to do the in depth research, or go for the correct kit. I have never seen anything like this outside those pages, so must view them with the utmost skepticism.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The one shown in the Sketchbook looks more like a three pounder. Obviously, though, these carriages would barely support a static 3 pounder, never mind one that is actually firing. The small size is likely due to the limitatioins of the carriages and the fact that someone building one of these is going for cheap, so getting the minimum tube neccesary to still be called a 'cannon'.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 6 months later...

I believe the minimum gun would be a 1" bore ? Please dont qoute me on this. I am not sure about the correctness of this. I have been a forum member of a cannon building group for a long time ., however they base it as 1" this does not mean for period as they build a variety of pieces up to 1898 type ordinance. I have always been under the impression cannons start at 1" ? Dont know why ., perhaps it was something I was drinking! Hawkyns ! Long time no chat sir ., I am wishing you well from the far side of the world.

HarborMaster

Edited by HarborMaster

• 1 year later...

http://johnsmilitaryhistory.com/threepdr.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bills_eye_view/8408992185/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjELbrQCJLU

I understand the confusion but I don't believe the first illustrated assemblage is any sort of a historical gun mount. The links show 'grasshopper' cannon, the unofficial nick name given to these light 3 pounders. Not even close to the original image.

Edited by flagman1776

Exeter, Rhode Island

admin http://www.msrefugees.proboards.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I own & demonstrate various swivel cannons. I've used stumps (with holes drilled in) and blocks of wood. What I have settled on is a simple box... with a hole drilled in the bottom for the yoke. Inside the box, I've installed a 4X4 glued & screwed into the sides & "top". Or is it the bottom. To transport, these boxes... packing crates... are flipped open side up, have rope handles installed & become the carrier for most of the equipage & some of the cannon. The boxes are painted in authentic period colors... some have been repurposed from earlier uses.

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

Edited by flagman1776

Exeter, Rhode Island

admin http://www.msrefugees.proboards.com/