Antiqued hilt finish

Bart LeBaron

Ahoy there, I haven't posted in about five years but I find myself in need of some answers. My sword is an Antiqued Torino rapier by Hanwei. I ordered it through a local store, and I've been very pleased with it, but I'm having some problems with the finish on the hilt. It has started to rub off on the quillon block, where my finger rests on the ricasso, to the point that it is quite noticeable. The "antiqued" finish is pretty much black, so the silver underneath looks odd. I have two questions:

1) Is there an easy way to reapply the finish, or anyplace I can take the sword to be refinished?

2) How can I prevent the finish from rubbing off? (I'm assuming gloves will help, but if there are other ways I would like to know.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here are a couple of links with images/info of the sword:

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/rapier-sword.html

http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c734.html

"But why is the rum gone!?"--Captain Jack Sparrow

Bart -

Five years???? Were you marooned or a guest of the King???? :unsure:

Two liquids I'd try would be instant liquid gun bluing or model railroad Blacken-it.

Both these liquids are good for touch-ups but not permanent fix. As long as you use it the finish will wear.

Jas. Hook ;)

Edited by Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

After you apply the bluing or blacking, you could try coating the area with some lacquer. That will help it last longer, I think.

Slightly related note: I understand that it looks funny, and hey, this is your sword, you should be happy with it, but I wonder if it's strictly wrong? I mean, if you rubbed the surface of old tarnished silverwork enough, would it get bright(ish)? Or do you need polish for that? I'm not telling anyone what to do with their sword, I'm just wondering for my own knowledge.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum