Good Fictional Period Drama Series?

Mission

I've seen (and enjoyed) the Sharpe's, Horatio Hornblower and Brother Cadfael series. What else is there out there like those?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

This might be later than interests you, but Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes is, in my mind, not only the best of the Mystery! series, but he gives the best performance of Holmes EVER.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Ah, yes, I forgot Holmes. I enjoy the Jeremy Britt Holmes series so much that I bought the entire set. I completely agree with you about Britt - he's one of my favorite Holmes characterizations. (I think he's better than any of the movies I've seen, past or present.) In fact, it was thanks to that show that I went out and got the books. I've read them several times, I enjoy them so much.

I watched three or four Robin Hood episodes and it seemed off to me so I stopped. While we're on that, I do enjoy the BBC Merlin series. (Now why I like that and not the similarly modern take on Robin Hood, I couldn't explain.) And I enjoyed the similarly modernized Robinson Crusoe they did a few years ago as well.

I've never heard of Young Blades. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Not only is Brett a wonderful Holmes, but I love both the guys who play Watson. It's so much better than Nigel Bruce playing Watson as a dunderhead. In the Brett version, Watson is a smart man, who knows Holmes is smarter than he is, and takes genuine pleasure in seeing Holmes out-think him. You can tell that Holmes, if the situation were reversed, would resent seeing himself surpassed, and in that one respect Watson is a greater man than Holmes.

I second the recommendation of By the Sword Divided, and would add I, Claudius. Centennial, Michener's fictionalization of Colorado's history, is superb. Masada is more of a miniseries than the type of thing you're talking about, only four episodes, but it's unmissable all the same (be sure you see the full miniseries, though; on no account should you watch the butchered feature film version of it).

After watching the wonderful Derek Jacobi in the Cadfael series I tried I Claudius but could not get into it. There were no real sets on the one I saw, so I kept losing the feeling of immersion.

Thanks for the others, Daniel. I'll check them out.

Mission_banner5.JPG

After watching the wonderful Derek Jacobi in the Cadfael series I tried I Claudius but could not get into it. There were no real sets on the one I saw, so I kept losing the feeling of immersion.

Thanks for the others, Daniel. I'll check them out.

Is "I, Claudius" the one where everything is shot in front of curtains?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Is "I, Claudius" the one where everything is shot in front of curtains?

As I recall the one I saw, yes.

Mission_banner5.JPG

As I recall, they were nice curtains.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

:P

I guess I'm a modern child - I prefer realization to interpretation. Give me Sharpe and Patrick scaling a fortress wall over speeches in front of curtains and columns any day.

I see on eBay that you can find seasons of By the Sword Divided for Region 4. They're kind of pricey, tho'.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh, I agree - I was just pointing out that they at least used nice curtains. :) It reminded me a lot of the first time I notice that Batman was filmed on a stage. Cesar Romero and his goons (appropriately named Goon #1 and Goon #2) walked into the hideout as the camera descended and I remember thinking "How can I see over the walls of the hideout? And then it occured to me that it was a room built inside another, larger room, and suddenly, just like that, the whole series sucked.

In other news, I caught an episode of Garrow's Law last night. Seemed interesting, although I think the fashions of the female lead more resemble early/extended Regency than the Georgian 80's. I'm not sure, though. It just seems that way to me.

Edited by Matty Bottles

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I second Zatoichi. There's a heavy irony that runs through the series, and not a cute, tongue-in-cheek kind. Whenever he tries to do something selfless, everybody suffers.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I actually own an episode of Zatoichi - the one with the wonderful Toshiro Mifune in it. (Toshiro Mifune is the Patrick Hand of samuri flicks.) I also saw an episode of Lone Wolf and Cub somewhere along they way which I liked. I don't mind subtitles a bit - half the movies I watch seem to have them.

Mission_banner5.JPG