2011 Talk Like A Pirate Day on the Santa Maria Columbus, OH

michaelsbagley

So I guess it is less than 6 weeks away...

The 4th Annual Talk Like a Pirate Day weekend on the Columbus, OH Santa Maria.... This will be the 8th (I can't believe I have done so many of these) pirate weekend on the Columbus, OH Santa Maria reproduction. Where does the time go?

General Event information on the following web page... http://www.re-enactmentevents.com/SantaMaria/SantaMaria.php

Or for information more catered to re-enactors and pirate participants visit this web page ... http://www.re-enactmentevents.com/SantaMaria/Participants.php

There are Facebook pages also... Please contact me to get added to the participant page, otherwise the public event page can be found http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=159786114096447.

Michael_banner.jpg

A couple of things.... The main discussion for this event is being done on a private (closed) Facebook group, but we are not too strict about who is in or out... So if you are seriously considering coming, and are on Facebook and wish to be a part of these discussions, please do contact me so I can get you added.

One thing under heavy discussion is food. Over the past few events, our chefs have started to feel a little hard done by, so we are seriously considering dialing the food back to cold lunch (fruit, bread, cheeses, hard meats etc.) and not cooking a supper leaving everyone up to their own devices to go out for supper at their own whim (or cook for themselves). If we find there are enough folks coming that will depend on food being cooked or prepped at the ship for supper, we will try and make arrangements, but we will also push heavily to have the burden of labour for those efforts onto those who require that accommodation. We're really trying hard to not be unwelcoming on this point, but the burden of labour versus the amount of folks who need has become seriously unbalanced over the last few events, and we are getting burnt out on it.

Any questions? Comments? Let me know! :D

Michael_banner.jpg

I think it should always have been this way. I'm always so busy during the day that it's sometimes difficult to sit down and eat something that someone has painstakingly prepared. Being able to wander over to the little table to grab some cheese, fruit or bread during a lull is much more convenient. As for dinner, I'm always interested gathering some willing participants in an expedition to the local eateries (say in the Arena District), but I don't want to snub the folks who have spent so much time and effort planning and preparing a meal. This way those who don't want to dine out can bring and prepare food and those who want to venture forth can do so without guilt. Flexibility. A goodness.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

So come to the event and practice what I preach. (Besides, your outings are always good for a section in the Journal. :P )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Those who are thinking of skipping the event and coming next Spring should know that the mayor is thinking about closing the ship. This may be its last season. We are trying to get enough good press from the pirate event and the haunted ship in October to convince the City to keep the ship open.

• 4 weeks later...

The Surgeon's Journal for the September Santa Maria Talk Like a Pirate Day Weekend is complete! It presents the surgeon's mate, Brain G., along with stuff about battles, squirrels, Dr. Suess, pretenders to the surgeon's throne, battles, lots and lots of cool presentations, battles and the same sort of junk you usually get in a Surgeon's Journal. So you'll want to read that and then complain in this post or on the Surgeon's Facebook Page. :P

You can access the Sept 2011 Santa Maria Surgeon's Journal via this hotlink.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 9 months later...

Reminder - the event will be September 15-16, 2012. This is one of the ship's biggest events so we can use all the help we can get.

Participants get the run of a working tall ship for the weekend.